Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-02-14 12:54:19

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

[contrib] New Textplates round

Hello all,

I am one of these leisure-bloggers, that always heads over to textplates and textgarden to see if there any good templates for my blog. Unfortunately there is no real momentum in developing front-end themes anymore, however it appears as if developers come up with quite a few admin templates these days.

Now I thought it might be fun, to have another round of textplates (after all, it has been three years since the last competition). I think there are quite a lot of other textpattern enthusiasts that would like to see a wider selection of templates available. Maybe we could be able to have (small donations) that might end up in a big prize for the contect winner (did anyone say iPad?).

What are your thoughts on another templates contest to motivate people to develop some more front-end themes?

Last edited by stephan (2010-02-14 18:20:00)

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#2 2010-02-14 18:43:32

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [contrib] New Textplates round

I’m up for that, I’ve been thinking about creating some Textpattern templates recently after doing my admin themes. I think it would be good to have categories for entry, i.e. design a blog, one-page portfolio, business site etc

What do you think?

Admin Themes Prometheus | Stung | <txp:coder/
My Portfolio | ɹǝpuɐz.com | @MrMartineau
<txp:coder /> – Convert your designs into Textpattern-based websites
jQuery Style | @jquerystyle

#3 2010-02-15 10:57:28

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

I am not convinced that there are enough entries to justify several categories ;-)

After thinking and sleeping on it I really feel like organizing a new round, if the interest is there. It would be great if anyone interested just added something like a “I like it” or so to this discussion :-)

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#4 2010-02-15 11:01:03

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

“I like it.” :)

#5 2010-02-15 11:06:26

PascalL
Website

I love it!

#6 2010-02-15 11:11:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Game on.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2010-02-15 12:04:36

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

“Like it” or I make you.

#8 2010-02-15 15:51:28

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Go for it. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#9 2010-02-16 21:03:00

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Good fun.

As for packaging themes, is there any consensus on best format? Use hcg_templates? Whatever works, works?

Code is topiary

#10 2010-02-22 21:35:18

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

Ok, now I am convinced I will try to get a new textplates round organized. Any ideas or advice are greatly appreciated, by the way. That includes – but is of course not limited to – suggestions for prizes (and if possible people to talk to about them), members for our jury and potential rules for entering (e.g. can existing templates be entered?).

#11 2010-03-01 20:09:43

peleve

I’m new to Textpattern and have immersed myself in it for a solid week now. It’s definitely the system I want to learn, but I have yet to create something myself. Wherever and whatever I read always appears to assume that you know the system already!
Anyway, rather than working on a new set of templates, there is a real need to cleanup the existing templates and tutorials, e.g., make them clean with Textpatttern 4.2. So far I have tried over a dozen templates and only got one to work as advertised.
I would also like to see an installer for a template, not the tedious and error prone cut & paste approach. This seems to me a little retarded. Ideally, the installer should be a script that you can invoke from Admin and which loads all of the forms, styles, modules, files, images, sections and especially sample data (articles).
Sorry to bitch, but other systems are easier to get started with, but they don’t have the overall potential that Textpattern does.
Once I get up to speed I’ll gladly help where I can.

Solving one problem at the time.

#12 2010-03-01 20:56:56

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

peleve,

you are absolutely right that the templating system isn’t one of Textpattern’s strong points. But if you use hcg_templates or mem_templates (basically hcg_templates that includes plug-ins) it gets a lot easier. I think it is important that template designers are aware of these existing templates.

Textplates is all about the fun of designing new (and hopefully easy to use) templates for Textpattern. Since the last rounds took place way before the latest version of 4.2.0 came out “fixing” older templates would actually be an interesting approach, but I think most authors would not take the time to do so. Ease of installation is definitely one of the criteria for the textplates entries, so maybe the resulting themes get a lot easier and more “fool-proof” to install.

Board footer