Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-01-31 17:53:41

JimJoe
Website

Re: [contrib] The Textpattern brand

The basic config worked fine. No problems there.

My MT blog has 1,606 entries and over 200 categories. The Importer into TP brought 364 entries and about 100 categories over. may not seem like many made it over… but its better than many of the importers i have dealt with in the past. I used the ‘type in database name, IP, username, password’ and run it method. None of my 11 static faq pages copied over that I see so far.

Here is the url for First steps where i tried the tutorials:
http://textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Textpattern_First_Steps

Task 6: I got rhubarb rhubarb to show up but not the cabbags bit.

Task 7: the fun page template part didn’t seem to work for me. I was kinda tired, so I may have mistyped or something.

The plugin part worked fine. I use other methods of adding images so I skipped that part.

When the tasks asked me to look at RSS and Atom links, I saw blank center part of pages. The sidebars showed like they did on other pages, just fine.

Task 10: section 7 where it talks about the tag builder, that didn’t show up. I don’t use tags, so it doesn’t matter to me, but I mention it as I know many others use tags.

While I have been puzzled by a few things… (typical of new user to a program as far as I can tell), I have had an easier time of it than the other 10 blogs/cms I have tried to deal with in the past. I have over 20 years of computer tech support experience, so I do wonder why some blogs, not textpattern, uses obfuscation in their manuals. Shrug, I hadn’t noticed anyone trademarking or copyrighting the words ‘article, entry, post, category’ and a few others.

So when someone creates a blog/cms set and talks about ekieki instead of categories, I tend to not use such software. I have enough to do, without having to reinterpret the Rosetta Stone all over again. :-)

#26 2010-01-31 18:32:57

els

JimJoe wrote:

I don’t use tags,

Hmm… funny, how does your site work then? ;)

#27 2010-01-31 18:58:16

JimJoe
Website

With categories. Unless someone snuck one in on me and categories are actually tags in textpattern… :-)

My prior experience with tags is a ‘tag cloud’ of a blob of words. Seems a way to miss something. I prefer an alphabetized, or categorized, list of words that don’t go away if few posts are made to that particular subject.

#28 2010-01-31 19:02:20

JimJoe
Website

Lets see, for the categories and articles that didn’t copy over. Some of the categories were place holders, no data/entries were tied to them yet. Some sub-categories with data/entries copied over, but not their parent categories. Or categories with data/entries copied over, but some lost entries. For example on the last, a category might have 12 entries, but less than 10 made it over. Doesn’t seem to have a pattern to it.

#29 2010-01-31 19:10:44

els

JimJoe wrote:

With categories. Unless someone snuck one in on me and categories are actually tags in textpattern… :-)

Aha (lightbulb goes on), we’re talking about different tags ;) The tagbuilder is meant to build Txp tags (like <txp:whatever />) :)

Edit: I think you’d better post in Developer support about the things that didn’t work well using the import script. The devs probably won’t notice it in this topic.

Last edited by els (2010-01-31 19:14:20)

#30 2010-01-31 19:46:27

JimJoe
Website

I just posted there about the importer. I’ll mention the task steps that didn’t work for me.

Board footer