Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-12-20 23:40:28

Nechaev
Website

[feedback] Preselected select box

Select boxes for various actions in the administration panel are preselected with a blank option, so user has to select one action first to apply it to checked items. This results in 2 clicks + one mouse move and is in my opinion superfluous. Especially in boxes, where only one single delete-option exists. OK, maybe it was done for security reasons, to avoid accidental clicks on “Go”-button, but even then user has the ability to cancel the prompt. And, I am sure, willful submits occure much more often than accidental ones.
The responsible function for showing a select box has a parameter, whether select box should contain first empty field or not. No matter how to fix it over a plugin, since the source code is not object oriented and functions are not overloadable methods therefore. So I suggest to disable this parameter on all select boxes in the administration panel or remove it completely.

Last edited by Nechaev (2009-12-21 00:44:33)

#2 2009-12-21 07:25:05

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: [feedback] Preselected select box

It’s quite feasible to author a plugin which introduces the appropriate client-side code to modify all select boxes. In fact, even the Textpattern core uses JavaScript for building parts of these interface elements.

#3 2009-12-21 09:07:55

Nechaev
Website

Re: [feedback] Preselected select box

I know, blank options could be removed with a couple lines of jQuery, but it would tend to be more a dirty workaround than a clean solution :) I think, blank options on action-selects are generally superfluous and it would be nice to have them disabled out of the box.
But thanks for Your tip anyway.

Last edited by Nechaev (2009-12-21 09:08:37)

Board footer