Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#433 2009-12-17 16:16:56

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: TxP.com home page

Yes I spotted this as well but couldn’t figure a way around it. I’m thinking that the current database user-data is not the same as the original. I could be wrong, though I’m sure Stef will confirm or deny this. Maybe if we set up a new sencer account then re-assigned the articles?? There is the “workflow” plugin we could use temporarily to perform the re-assignments then remove it.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-12-17 16:18:15)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#434 2009-12-17 17:15:17

maniqui
Website

Hi Stuart,

No need for a plugin, you can do the re-assignments directly on Content -> Articles tab.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#435 2009-12-17 17:53:24

maverick
Website

candyman wrote:

Very good job but I don’t like the blue for titles. I preferred the old-fashioned but more TXPish brown (or yellow).

Fair enough :)

Just as another perspective, I’m rather partial to blue and think it looks good. The problem of satisfying everyone! LOL

#436 2009-12-17 17:57:11

maverick
Website

maniqui wrote:

No need for a plugin, you can do the re-assignments directly on Content -> Articles tab.

Off topic and tangent: Good point to note, and probably more useful in the case of mass transfer.

That said, the plugin added the ability to the write page of each article. The plugin seems to be broke in 4.2.0, and I personally miss having the option on the write page.

#437 2009-12-18 23:35:05

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

It broke? Can’t remember if I’ve actually used it on a 4.2.0 install but if Julián is right, which he is (totally forgot it was an option now) then it’s not a major headache for this site. It would be a one-off thing (he says keeping everything crossed).

Anyway, just checking to see if I have the go-ahead on this one then I shall erm… go ahead. ;)

Oh and just in case anyone missed these, I’ve fixed the “Search…” text in the search input field and added the forum to the external links menu. :)

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-12-18 23:54:00)

Stuart

#438 2009-12-19 00:09:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

thebombsite wrote:

if we set up a new sencer account then re-assigned the articles??

Yeah, I think when the accounts were copied over to the new domain, his was missed off so the reassignment never took place. I wonder if TXP could handle this better if a user is missing, or is it caveat utilitor?

But anyway, setting up a sencer account and reassigning should work because there are no IDs involved; user names are hard-coded in the textpattern table instead of referenced in a normalized database fashion.

Not sure what would happen with the sencer vs Sencer thing, though. Might be worth either a) sanitizing all the entries in the textpattern table associated with his account so they’re all the same case, or b) create an account, delete it + reassign, create another account with the capitalized letter, delete it + reassign again.

Option (b) might not work if the user names are all lower-cased by default on creation; can’t remember offhand. Either way, a hearty backup is advised 8o)

On a side note, it’s a shame that deleting and reassigning loses the heritage of who created the articles in the first place… but it’s either that or the ol’ dangling articles conundrum *sigh*

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#439 2009-12-19 00:10:32

maverick
Website

thebombsite wrote:

It broke?

I just double checked myself. I have one install of 4.2 where it is not working, and I figured that the upgrade broke it. However, I double checked another 4.2 I have, and it is working. My apologies.

Looks like its time to go trouble shoot :/

Mike

#440 2009-12-19 00:19:08

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

Not sure what would happen with the sencer vs Sencer thing, though. Might be worth either a) sanitizing all the entries in the textpattern table associated with his account so they’re all the same case, or b) create an account, delete it + reassign, create another account with the capitalized letter, delete it + reassign again.

You mean we can’t just create a single sencer account and re-assign all of them whether with a “s” or a “S”?

I’m hoping this is as easy as I think it is because there are several “missing” authors.

Stuart

#441 2009-12-19 12:06:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

thebombsite wrote:

You mean we can’t just create a single sencer account and re-assign all of them whether with a “s” or a “S”?

Ah hang on, when you say ‘reassign’, are we talking at cross purposes here?

Reassign to me is when you delete a user and reassign all assets that they owned to someone else. If you mean simply creating a sencer user account (with privs “none”) and leaving it there, no ‘reassignment’ is necessary. As soon as the account is created, any existing articles that match the login name will be automatically associated with the account because of the way the login name is hard-coded into the various tables (theyr’e not referenced indirectly in any way).

But the articles created by Sencer won’t be linked to the account you create because of the capitalisation. If the intention is to leave an empty sencer account on the system (with a strong password, I hasten to add!) to simply maintain the history then someone should go through the assets already owned by him and rename anything with a capital S to all lower case (a jot of SQL will do it). Then those articles will also automatically be associated with the account you create.

However, keeping an account on the system just for the sake of it showing who wrote articles, when that information is actually already hard-coded into the articles and it’s TXP’s code that’s displaying them wrongly on the public side seems an unnecessary security risk. Perhaps if the account has privs none, it’s OK but it’s still an account we don’t “need”. Which is why I wondered if TXP could be smarter in this area and, if an account doesn’t exist, still show the user (login) name (desirable, or not?) or at the very least return ‘unknown’ or something if the user is missing so articles shown on the public side from previous versions of TXP or site migrations like this don’t simply show nothing.

OT: This is where TXP’s forced asset reassignment falls down a bit: if you ran a newspaper and Bob wrote a tonne of articles, then leaves the paper to pursue other interests, when you delete his account you have to assign all the articles Bob wrote to someone else. That’s not “right” in a sense because Bob still wrote them and they’re still historically valid. But if you don’t delete his account, you still have an account floating around that you don’t need (ok, you can remove his privs so at least he can’t see anything any more if he logs in). Further, if any of the articles ever need editing, only Publishers can do it. Bit of a toughie.

Anyway, all that clear as mud now? ;-)

Last edited by Bloke (2009-12-19 12:07:36)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#442 2009-12-19 17:29:46

maverick
Website

Interesting post Bloke. I have a tangent post here. Didn’t want to take this thread more OT.

Mike

#443 2009-12-30 20:30:34

masa

Very fine effort, everyone!

The focus on easy-to-use and putting the Publishers at the top is great. I’ll even get over the introduction of baby-blue and Times eventually  ;-)

Two things though…

1. I think the Twitter stuff at the top is ugly and distracting. Could that and the search input be moved further down, so the page starts off with the logo and the main buttons? It seems odd that the most prominently placed links point ot other sites.
  1. It always seems to come up with the same What others are saying stories. Any chance to get a bit of randomised variety in there?

#444 2010-02-17 09:58:14

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

@Stuart.

I noticed a little bad effect for the top “twitter” div : browsing the new (excellent, and amazing) TXP website on small screens (testing on a 10 inch Asus Eee PC and FF 2.x) this light gray div don’t follow the main container on the right.

A simple correctiion in the css can be done with this rule:

body{min-width:955px}

For IE browsers, you can use MS expression to obtain a min-width property.

Cheers,

Last edited by Pat64 (2010-02-17 12:08:40)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

Board footer