Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-11-09 22:37:20

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Textgarden V2 Goes Live

Stu,

This is a tremendous accomplishment, and I’d like to say thank you for putting in the work and making it happen. The site looks awesome. It gets me excited for when txp.com v2 is finally unveiled. Matthew Smith did some really nice things with the typography (Times New Roman, who would have thought!). My general impression is that this is a reliable site with worth-while content. Bravo!

FYI:
I caught a mischievous link still pointing to your local box on Using Front End Themes:

…There should be. One that you could look at is TXP Falling Away.

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

#14 2009-11-09 22:41:19

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Darn those pesky localhost moles. Thanks Dave. Sorted!

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#15 2009-11-09 23:12:11

Neko

That looks superb. Kudos to you, Stuart!

A minor issue: background color is not set.

#16 2009-11-09 23:54:54

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Thanks Neko. I shall look at that. But tomorrow. It’s bedtime. ;)

You couldn’t grab me a screen-shot could you Neko? Let me see which bits are a problem.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-11-10 00:04:14)

Stuart

#17 2009-11-10 01:25:27

mrdale
Website

Atta boy, stuey!

Nice work! Good for you. Good for us all.

#18 2009-11-10 01:36:54

tye
Website

Looks really good :)

#19 2009-11-10 07:37:58

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Clear and beauty

Nice job Stuart.

#20 2009-11-10 10:11:42

zero
Website

I take it this will also be the look of the new textpattern.com?

What a great improvement it would be if the Carver logo and Sackers Gothic font was used to replace the new logo! It would bring back the active, human side of Textpattern, which has been replaced with the passive, unused tools. Tools crossed like that are obviously not in use, in fact they look like something you’d see in a museum. A lump hammer and a cold chisel are for rough work, although a sculptor may have used them at one time but would more likely use electric tools today to get more control.

The X cross of the tools is also seen all over the net, so it is no longer a unique logo and is also highly forgetful, whereas the yellow, the carver and the font of old are embedded deep in our memories and are instantly memorable. They have a certain mystique and ambiguity too that for first time viewers makes them ask “what is this?” Those few extra moments of looking thrust the logo deeper into the memory. The new logo leaves no questions but gives the wrong answers – “oh, it’s those crossed tools again, how boring.”

The carver would also bring back the fine elegance and replace the blunt confrontation. If the tools are seen as traditional or classical, then they are nowhere near as classical as the carver. If they are meant to show TXP is a set of tools to be used, then OK, but surely they are the wrong tools and they are limited, heavy and static. The carver shows possibilities, creativity and human endeavour.

The carver is unique, memorable and a well-known brand. Why replace it with a commonplace, forgettable, boring, static logo (no matter how cleanly drawn it is) that risks condemning Textpattern to the CMS museum? It makes me groan, it will make others laugh at Textpattern. Bring back the Carver! Bring back the Carver!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#21 2009-11-10 11:06:06

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Zero wrote:

What a great improvement it would be if the Carver logo and Sackers Gothic font was used to replace the new logo!

My opinion; carver is not that unique or elegant. Some say that cheese goes with everything. I say it won’t. Freshness is something that the TXP needs. Things that are cool and make kids go crazy.

OMGZ it’s that Textpattern Content Management System with that OMG logo!!!! I’m so going to use it!!! Don’t know for what but that logo is so cooolll!!!

We kids like sugar, colors. Things that seem, mmm, attractive — on drugs. Things that make us want to lick the monitor.

#22 2009-11-10 12:19:48

masa

What happened to the concept of branding, the yellow in particular?

#23 2009-11-10 12:22:07

zero
Website

Fair enough, Jukka, but I don’t think anyone would want to lick the new logo! I’m sure some graphic artist could make a refreshed version of the carver which would be delicious enough to eat but still retain the human activity, the classic look and the mystique. In the meantime, bring back the original carver, imho, because this new logo takes too much away from Textpattern.

Oh, and by the way, well done with the rest of the site design!

Last edited by zero (2009-11-10 12:23:14)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#24 2009-11-10 14:16:41

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

There’s a bit of yellow for you. I shall run with it for a week or so, see what gets said here and then keep it or remove it.

I should remind everybody that this is Textgarden, not Textpattern, and people visiting the site are more likely to already use Textpattern than not, so Textpattern is not the point of the site though it does get mentioned occasionally. The point is the content, ie the themes available, and the site design should not be so bold as to detract from it’s purpose which is to push themes.

On the other hand there will be consistency between the different sites, Textpattern, Textgarden, Textbook and what is currently known as Textpattern Resources. There is also a deal of re-organisation to go through with regard to what information belongs where so people really ought to wait to see the overall view rather than making judgement of the Textpattern brand from a single site.

Of course, from a stand-alone point-of-view, I welcome any suggestions about Textgarden that might make it more user-friendly, whether the layout is fit for purpose, whether there is content that you think might be missing or simply whether you like it or not but don’t judge Textpattern from just this single site.

As for the logo it was discussed and dealt with here some 6 months ago. If you don’t like it then that is your right and I don’t begrudge you that right but maybe you should have said something back then. It’s far too late now to start back-tracking but the general consensus of that thread was a thumbs-up for this logo. I’m afraid we can’t please everybody all of the time.

Right now, with the design out of the way, what is more important for me is that we get ALL of the theme download files onto Textgarden and that ALL download links, from whatever site, point to the files on Textgarden. That way we will have accurate download totals and, more importantly, we won’t run into the same old problem we’ve had before where people “disappear” and their download file, whether it be theme or plugin, becomes “unavailable” to the community.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-11-10 14:22:58)

Stuart

Board footer