Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2009-09-30 18:38:35

els

Re: New forum software

MattD wrote:

So confirmed that search is not consistent.

You’re right, that’s odd. So maybe replacing it with a Google search box is not such a bad idea.

#26 2009-09-30 18:45:17

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Els wrote:

About the look: honestly, who cares!? Content is what matters on a forum. If you really can’t stand the look, there’s always the Stylish extension or other ways to add your own stylesheet. (I use it on one other forum I visit that really, really hurts my eyes ;) Why would I spam that forum with complaints about the layout if I can easily change it myself?)

You’re right that it is the content that matters, but the idea is that a design can emphasize content or distract from it. Considerate use of typography, color and structure increase readability & usability. Also, not everybody knows about user stylesheets (stylish or greasemonkey) or wants to spend the time required to change things themselves. The looks of the forum are its face. If that face looks stale, that reflects on the perception of textpattern, I think.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for David DeSandro’s Tabula Rasa theme to be the default? I think it’s a superior design, it seems that a lot of people on the forum agree… I think Uli suggested some interesting improvements. It doesn’t seem like too much of an effort.

Oh well, … It doesn’t keep me awake at night since I am using my own user styles, but textpatternkind would be better off I think. DeSandro’s textpattern.org styles are even more wanted…

jsoo wrote:

Oh. Well I guess I should be glad it’s only me, then. How strange.

Nope, me too… unless i use the advanced search

Last edited by JanDW (2009-09-30 18:48:28)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#27 2009-09-30 19:02:47

els

JanDW wrote:

You’re right that it is the content that matters, but the idea is that a design can emphasize content or distract from it. Considerate use of typography, color and structure increase readability & usability.

You’re absolutely right of course. I just think that you can never ever find a design that works that way for everyone.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for David DeSandro’s Tabula Rasa theme to be the default?

I don’t care one way or another, I know how to choose my own settings. To keep everyone happy we could even add one or two more to the options.

Edited to add disclaimer: though I just said ‘we’, I don’t have anything to say about this, Robert is the one who has to do it ;)

Last edited by els (2009-09-30 19:03:34)

#28 2009-09-30 19:42:10

redbot
Plugin Author

woof wrote:

By the way if you’re browsing this in the default style give yourself a treat (and a whole new outlook on this forum) by going to Profile > Display > Select your preferred style > tabula

Oooh… I never knew this style was added. Really nice!
I’m now among the ones who think it should be default – a great emprovement with a minimal effort.

Els wrote:

About the look: honestly, who cares!? Content is what matters on a forum. If you really can’t stand the look, there’s always the Stylish extension or other ways to add your own stylesheet…

Sorry Els don’t want to sound harsh but I don’t agree this time.
I think the look is relatively important (provided you are reading interesting contents of course). For example I wouldn’t enjoy so much a newspaper filled with interesting content but written in “comic sans”. On equal contents, I prefer to have it nicely presented.

…I just think that you can never ever find a design that works that way for everyone…

Again, I have some doubts. As per the example above, I’m sure there is someone who would prefer “the Guardian” in comic-sans…

As for the search, the simple one never worked for me.

edit: Er, unfortunately I’m so acquainted with txpish I fear I’ll continue using it. (nonetheless I still confirm what I said before)

Last edited by redbot (2009-09-30 19:57:31)

#29 2009-09-30 20:11:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

JanDW wrote:

Wouldn’t it make more sense for David DeSandro’s Tabula Rasa theme to be the default?

I didn’t even know it was an option to tell you the truth. I just switched to it and agree that it should be the default, it looks rather nice, it works well and doesn’t take much effort for the admin to enable it. Those that like the old look can easily switch back to it.

Actually, it’s more inline to how Textbook looks nowadays, more cohesion I feel.

#30 2009-09-30 20:13:06

els

I was just about to write a reply when I read your

edit: Er, unfortunately I’m so acquainted with txpish I fear I’ll continue using it.

which is exactly the way I feel :)

But you were not seriously comparing txpish with comic sans I hope? If this forum was using comic sans I’d agree with any proposed change…

#31 2009-09-30 20:27:14

els

The Tabula Rasa theme has been there for a while. Search for ‘forum style’ – in the advanced search ;) – and it’s the first topic in the list…

#32 2009-09-30 20:30:32

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

I just think that you can never ever find a design that works that way for everyone.

Offering choice is a good thing, but I tabula has much less “computer administrative debris” (one of my favorite Tuftian expressions); it features the content more prominently as the interface, and is more inline with the txp look (at least as long as the new textpattern.com) which I think makes it a more obvious choice as the default.

Last edited by JanDW (2009-09-30 20:30:52)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#33 2009-09-30 20:36:37

redbot
Plugin Author

Els wrote:

But you were not seriously comparing txpish with comic sans I hope? If this forum was using comic sans I’d agree with any proposed change…

Yes, of course I was exaggerating a little :)

The Tabula Rasa theme has been there for a while. Search for ‘forum style’ – in the advanced search ;) – and it’s the first topic in the list…

I totally missed it.
I only remember it was not present at the time I first signed up.

Last edited by redbot (2009-09-30 20:40:24)

#34 2009-09-30 21:09:45

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

MattD wrote:

I just made a few tests. …

Thanks for that, Matt. Somehow I managed to only enter the terms that produce 0 hits, but I get the same numbers as you. Whew…

Code is topiary

#35 2009-09-30 21:12:39

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Same here… I got 0 hits for article… hehe

Last edited by JanDW (2009-09-30 21:13:29)

#36 2009-09-30 21:35:24

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

edit: Er, unfortunately I’m so acquainted with txpish I fear I’ll continue using it.

Anyhow I’m not suggesting to take out “txpish”. I just think it shouldn’t be the default. It’s not fair to the newcomers to burden them with the conditioned forum veterans’ beloved biotope. ;-) I do think it looks dated, isn’t as effective as tabula and is less consistent with the appearance of txp elsewhere…

ok… I think I’ve said enough already. and it seems nobody else agrees. Blasted democracies…

Last edited by JanDW (2009-09-30 21:36:48)

Board footer