Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2009-09-16 07:41:36

jstubbs
Website

Re: Sites outside main TXP directory (multisite install)

That would be a good idea and I’ll work on that. This would be a good use-case for sub-sections!

One more question – in the base install of multi-sites we have /web/textpattern/textpattern – just wondering why the second folder is required or if I missed something.

#38 2011-01-04 13:21:48

jstubbs
Website

Has anyone successfully upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3 in a multi-site setup? Have to do this sometime and any feedback appreciated. Using the Joyent script by Sam.

#39 2011-01-04 14:21:08

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Has anyone successfully upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3 in a multi-site setup? Have to do this sometime and any feedback appreciated. Using the Joyent script by Sam.

Yes. I don’t use Sam’s script, and my setup is slightly different from the stock multisite configuration. Here’s a sketch of the file tree I’m using:

shared/
	js/
		editarea_0_8_2/
		jquery.cycle/
txp/
	multisite/
		rpc/
		sites/
			bar.com/
				admin/
				private/
				public/
					.htaccess -> ../../htaccess/.htaccess
					css/
					css.php
					files/
					images/
					index.php
					jquery.js -> ../../../../textpattern/jquery.js
					js/
						jquery.cycle -> ../../../../../../shared/js/jquery.cycle/

foo.com/ htaccess/ .htaccess textpattern -> ../src/textpattern-4.3.0/textpattern/ textpattern-4.2.0 -> ../src/textpattern-4.2.0/textpattern/ textpattern-4.x -> ../src/4.x/textpattern/ plugin_cache/ src/ 4.x/ textpattern-4.2.0/ textpattern-4.3.0/

The main difference being the textpattern item at the top level of the multisite directory. This is a symlink to the actual textpattern directory of the chosen Txp version in the src directory. To upgrade all sites, all I need is to change this symlink. (As you can see, I keep standby symlinks to the various Txp versions ready, so I just need to rename the symlinks to swap versions.)

Other notes:

I use a common .htaccess file for all sites that don’t have special requirements. Again, easier upgrade path.

This is my local setup, so I also have the plugin cache in there. (I really do not recommend using a plugin cache on live sites.)

The shared directory at the very top level contains javascript packages in use on various sites, including non-Txp sites. An example symlink is shown in bar.com/public/js/. Also note the symlink to jquery.js. This is a symlink to another symlink. Yes, this works.

Couple of other notes

Code is topiary

#40 2011-03-29 08:37:26

jstubbs
Website

Jeff, now that you are a developer, will you be looking into the multi-site feature in order to make it easier to upgrade from one version to the next? At the moment it is not so easy for non-experts in symlinks.

#41 2011-04-02 01:44:38

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Jonathan: not a lot of computer time this week. Good question. Currently I would say multisite isn’t a feature per se, rather a custom configuration. Symlinks aren’t an options for some web hosting accounts, so there is something to be said for a multisite configuration that doesn’t require them. We’ll see.

Code is topiary

Board footer