Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-08-30 15:54:52

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Users Page

I’m just wondering if it would be possible, and if so, desirable to display whether a user is currently logged in?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#2 2009-08-31 06:26:42

rsilletti

Re: Users Page

Might be interesting on the admin side, I can’t think of a reason for displaying that kind of info on the public site in most cases.

#3 2009-08-31 09:30:46

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Purely on the admin side. In fact specifically on the Users page which is why I mentioned it. I just think there are times when it is useful to know that someone else is logged in and may possibly be editing the same item.

Stuart

#4 2009-08-31 10:47:02

uli

thebombsite wrote:

I just think there are times when it is useful to know that someone else is logged in and may possibly be editing the same item.

Excellent idea, Stuart! The user name could serve as a mailto/message link to contact the respective user.

May I suggest expanding this feature to include more tabs, if possible? This year I had a cooperation on a site where I also needed it on forms, pages, and styles.

Edit: Ah, I think I understand you better: you want the users page to be an indicator for logged users, right? Whereas I thought to have a list of logged users on all the mentioned tabs.

Last edited by uli (2009-08-31 11:01:47)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2009-08-31 11:18:13

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well one step at a time here I think Uli. If the Users page could indicate a user being logged in first perhaps just highlighting the user name or user row, then maybe spread out from there if it’s possible, but I can see the benefits of knowing that another user is on the Style page or the Write page or wherever.

Last edited by thebombsite (2009-08-31 11:19:49)

Stuart

#6 2009-08-31 11:27:00

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

thebombsite wrote:

I’m just wondering if it would be possible [..] to display whether a user is currently logged in?

Yes, with a grain of salt. A plugin could easily track the current user, collect all of them in a database table and remove these entries either based on a timeout elapsing after the user’s last action or the logout event (the blur caused by the timeout being the grain of salt).

#7 2009-08-31 12:25:23

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

OK. Thanks for that info Robert. I take it that you would not consider this for the base code maybe due to the grain of salt?

So a plug-in. Where’s Bloke and Jukka when you need them? ;)

Stuart

#8 2009-08-31 13:16:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

thebombsite wrote:

So a plug-in.

I was going to suggest a plugin as well. I was thinking of building this kind of thing into smd_bio since it’s doing all kinds of Admin->Users tab stuff anyway, but maybe a separate plugin is better?

Where’s Bloke and Jukka when you need them? ;)

Bloke: drowning in code… must… take… time to… breathe…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2009-08-31 13:58:42

maniqui
Website

Hi.

A few comments and ideas:

• I’ve noticed yesterday that Textpattern doesn’t save an article if it have been edited/ by user B while I was also editing it, although the warning message (after hitting “Save”) wasn’t very noticeable. I mean, I hit “Save” and thought the article was saved, but as I didn’t see the changes applied, I then noticied the tiny warning/notification message at top.
  • mailto:me@example.com links, are their still widely used? I find them out of date and rather annoying, as most of the time they just open the default mail application (well, yes, that’s what they’re supposed to to, hehe). I would suggest just to unlink it
  • can’t find theEric’s thread for a simple messaging system plugin (not released yet, as ransomed amount wasn’t reached), but it may be the basis for creating some internal notification system of events on the Admin. side. Also, related to the mailto “issue” above: it could be converted just on a link to the mail composer provided by plugin.
  • a chat and/or notification system alla Facebook would be very cool.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#10 2009-08-31 14:39:43

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

I was going to suggest a plugin as well. I was thinking of building this kind of thing into smd_bio since it’s doing all kinds of Admin->Users tab stuff anyway, but maybe a separate plugin is better?

A separate plug-in? Well it all depends on how big the bio plug-in is. Your plug-ins tend to be “where’s the zipped version?” size Stef. ;)

If it is already large I would prefer something separate but then I’m no plug-in developer despite what it says over on the left there, so who am I to pick and choose?

Stuart

#11 2009-08-31 15:11:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

thebombsite wrote:

it all depends on how big the bio plug-in is. Your plug-ins tend to be “where’s the zipped version?” size Stef. ;)

lol, you know me so well :-)

smd_bio is currently (just) less than 1000 lines, which is pretty short. For me.

I’ll see if it fits in nicely there. If it does all well and good, but if it requires a truckload more code or it has very little commonality I’ll probably separate it out.

fwiw, maniqui’s suggestions are off-the-chart and would probably be better served by TheEric’s new plugin — when the ransom is met — or some other plugin. Dunno yet. Will need scoping out.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2009-08-31 15:27:28

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Could it be as simple as what this forum displays?

Online (Guests: 59, Users: 7): Bloke, hcgtv, Hennie, jsoo, jstubbs, kees-b, kus

Board footer