Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2009-06-09 21:23:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [contrib] Looking for a community-picked Textpattern admin theme

For anybody that wants to play at admin side themes without having to do it manually, you could do worse than try smd_admin_themes. It’s a pre-release copy, available from my beta plugin page but has been fairly well tested so is stable enough to drive without it piling into the central reservation of its own accord. Hopefully it will inspire you to create something cool for the prestigious place of your name and theme in the 4.0.9 core.

The plugin will allow you to import/export themes from the plugin’s tab, edit files and upload images all from within the admin side so you can see your changes take effect reasonably on-the-fly. And of course you can switch themes ad nauseum. When using this on a multi-user site, you can also choose a subset of themes that other (non-admin) users can access, force a particular theme on everyone, or force one theme per privilege group.

These (very large — the zipped plugin is recommended) code shenanigans employ some of the exceptionally cool new features in the upcoming release so the plugin requires a very recent SVN copy of TXP to work. Currently r3214 or greater. I’ll open up a new thread soon for people to report the success or otherwise of the plugin so we don’t clog up the airwaves here. In the meantime drop me a mail if you need help that is not covered in the docs or find something behaves badly.

Go play :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#38 2009-06-11 22:00:53

beztak
Website

I made admin theme for my clients, so I just have to sit down and take a look at it and make it suitable for TXP 4.0.9. Hope I didn’t miss a deadline.

#39 2009-06-12 00:32:23

mrdale
Website

Stef> That plugin is brill..

When I try and edit a theme though, it barks at me…

Notice: Use of undefined constant GLOB_BRACE - assumed 'GLOB_BRACE' in /path/to/TLD/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(580) : eval()'d code on line 364
Warning: glob() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /path/to/TLD/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(580) : eval()'d code on line 364
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path/to/TLD/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(580) : eval()'d code on line 366

OOps, sorry to clog

Last edited by mrdale (2009-06-12 00:33:07)

#40 2009-06-12 05:08:57

maverick
Website

Bloke

I have three additional themes installed so far (Bit of Blue, Hicks, & Seagloss by Nemoorange). So far, so good, with single theme across the site and export. Will play around more as I get time.

Thanks for great work!

Mike

#41 2009-06-12 08:02:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

beztak, mrdale, maverick > thanks for the props, glad the plugin’s useful. I’ve created the topic for the plugin so we’ll upsticks and move discussion there…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#42 2009-06-19 17:33:57

Christoph
Website

Hi all!
I would like to contribute an admin theme, but a few things I don’t understand.
I asume I have to install a developer version of 4.0.9, but I don’t no how to do so?
The documentation doesn’t they that much, is there a theme to learn from?

Maybe these questions are a bit stupid, sorry if so :-)

Nevertheless, thanks in advance for answering.

#43 2009-06-19 17:47:09

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Getting the development version of TXP requires Subversion— you can check it out from the repository here.

The terminal command if you have Subversion in a Unix-like environment would be this:

svn checkout http://textpattern.googlecode.com/svn/development/4.x dev

Once you have a working version, you can run this command in that directory to update it to the latest version at any time:

svn update

Someone can correct me if there’s another way to get the development version.

Last edited by johnstephens (2009-07-07 14:47:57)

#44 2009-07-07 12:12:24

funtoosh
Website

there are also quite a few programs that offer SVN in a graphical interface, i finally preferred that and chose smartSVN. see this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Subversion_clients

(if you use mac os x and have kept your system up-to-date with fink, you can also use that to get SVN and then simply type svn checkout http://textpattern.googlecode.com/svn/development/4.x dev into the terminal.)

#45 2009-08-30 05:39:56

philipashlock
Website

After hearing about the improvements to the admin theme infrastructure I was confused to install 4.2 and not see any changes. The admin theme option seems a little hidden and odd that Remora isn’t on by default. Surely a safety precaution, but nonetheless…

I’m not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I made some optimizations for the new Remora admin theme. The changes are a little subtle and actually just done via CSS. They’re mostly enhancements that take advantage of CSS3 properties (rounded corners, drop shadows, gradients, selectors), but there’s also a separation of the Logout and View Site links (something that should really be done in the markup, but figured I’d just do in css for now). Some of the CSS3 enhancements only take effect in Firefox at the moment, but they should be forward-compatible. So far only tested in FF 3.5 and Safari 4.0.2. The changes might be brittle, but ready for others to improve.

Have a look:
http://dropbox.ashlock.us/textpattern/remora-optimized/screenshot.png

CSS Available at:
http://dropbox.ashlock.us/textpattern/remora-optimized/textpattern.css

Last edited by philipashlock (2009-08-30 05:43:24)

#46 2009-08-30 09:29:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philipashlock wrote:

The admin theme option seems a little hidden and odd that Remora isn’t on by default.

‘classic’ remains the TXP default theme. Remora is an option to show how admin themes can alter stuff. Switching and altering themes can be made more ‘visible’ via my smd_admin_themes plugin if you wish.

I made some optimizations for the new Remora admin theme.

Nice work. Separation of the logout link is a nice touch — I’ve hit that by mistake a few times already in the default remora :-)

Once you’ve tested it to destruction and are happy, you may want to name it something else (e.g. psk_remora or something else entirely: it is advisable to use a three letter prefix in custom themes) and upload it to Textgarden

btw, smd_admin_themes will help you package up your themes for distribution to the community, and makes editing them a bit more graphical. Plus you can install others and configure the plugin to allow per-privilege or per user themes.

Last edited by Bloke (2009-08-30 09:31:22)

#47 2009-10-24 02:27:44

zeusdidit

Sorry to come in so late but my question is, if I design something and hand over a JPG or PDF rather than CSS’ing everything, would someone be interested in laying it out?

#48 2009-10-28 01:59:58

philipashlock
Website

zeusdidit wrote:

Sorry to come in so late but my question is, if I design something and hand over a JPG or PDF rather than CSS’ing everything, would someone be interested in laying it out?

Possibly, but I’m pretty behind in even refining my minor tweak. I’d highly recommend that you create your mockup and provide the source graphics (ideally something like PSD or AI or something not flattened), so that you can express your ideas for improvements and then eventually somebody can come along and do the markup/css.

Board footer