#1 2009-03-27 13:30:21

makss
Plugin Author
Website

aks_rss : RSS parser and aggregator

RSS parser and aggregator

Version 0.1.7 download link / homepage

Summary

aks_rss is an RSS parser plugin that fetches RSS feeds and shows the latest feed content inside TxP articles. It is possible to fetch multiple feeds and aggregate the content in one output. aks_rss uses SimplePie 1.1.3 with IDN support, see installation notes.

This plugin based on bit_rss 0.4.1 by Bit Santos.

Installation

1. Install this plugin.
  2. Copy simplepie.inc to textpattern/lib/ directory.
    • If your need IDN support, just copy files from idn directory to textpattern/lib/ (IDN – Internationalized Domain Names)
  3. Make sure that the TxP tmp directory is writeable. This is where Simplepie will put its cache files by default.

Changelog

v0.1.1

• Rewrite some code for compatibility with last version Textpattern
  • Rewrite code for compatibility with last version SimplePie 1.1.3
  • Delete attributes ‘strip_ads’ and ‘replace_headers’ (SimplePie does not support them more)
  • Add attribute ‘target’, ‘limit_per_feed’,‘offset_per_feed’
  • Add tags <txp:author /> and <txp:excerpt />
  • Delete tag <txp:bit_author />, please use <txp:author />
  • BugFix: plugin bit_rss 0.4.1 destroy global variable $GLOBALS[‘thisarticle’]

v0.1.2

• Add support inline form. <txp:aks_rss feed="http://abc.com/rss.xml">Output form here</txp:aks_rss>

v0.1.3

• Compatibility with SimplePie Plugin for Textpattern. Tag <txp:feed>http://abc.com/rss.xml,http://def.com/rss2.xml</txp:feed>
  • Add css class for each feed <txp:aks_rssclass />
  • Add attributes wraptag, id, class

v0.1.4

• Added admin interface in Extension tab
v0.1.5
  • Add attribute shortdesc – short feed item description to N words
  • Fix bad naming:
    • <txp:aks_rsstitle /> renamed to <txp:aks_rss_title />
    • <txp:aks_rsslink /> renamed to <txp:aks_rss_link />
    • <txp:aks_rssclass /> – please, use other tag – <txp:aks_rss_source />
v0.1.6
  • Add/fix attributes wraptag, break
  • Add attributes showtitle, alttitle, h
  • Add predefined form – attribute simpleform

Last edited by makss (2016-01-16 18:17:05)

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#2 2009-03-27 13:56:55

Agogo

Re: aks_rss : RSS parser and aggregator

About using my bit_rss patch:

You could implement the idea I had for an offset attribute in the next version since it will be another kind of offset – one offset for the final results and one offset for every feed. That is when using multiple feeds.

Just a thought.

#3 2009-03-27 15:16:21

makss
Plugin Author
Website

thanks,
now added offset_per_feed attribute

aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#4 2009-04-21 18:27:10

merz1
Website

aks_rss is an RSS parser plugin that takes and aggregate RSS feeds and outputs them as TxP articles.

The part outputs them as TxP articles leads to a big misunderstanding! You are only showing the feeds with their dynamic content inside an article. A better description would be:

aks_rss is an RSS parser plugin that fetches RSS feeds and shows the latest feed content inside TxP articles. It is possible to fetch multiple feeds and aggregate the content in one output.

Compliments for supporting multiple feeds (not tested yet)!

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#5 2009-04-21 19:06:11

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 wrote:

The part outputs them as TxP articles leads to a big misunderstanding!

I agree with merz1 – it confused me too. Great plugin otherwise :-)

Last edited by JanDW (2009-04-21 19:06:42)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#6 2009-04-21 19:43:31

makss
Plugin Author
Website

merz1, thanks for the help with the description.
Unfortunately, English is not my native language. :(

#7 2009-04-21 20:20:39

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

makks: When I input multiple feeds, will they get intermingled or will they appear one feed after the other? I’m experiencing the latter one, but I’m hoping it might be something I do, since I’m interested in the former. :-)
I think it would be nice to have a chronological order of multiple feeds in one. :-)

Also a couple of features that would interest me:

wraptag and break attributes?

If multiple feeds are called it would be nice if a css class could be added so that I can style them. Maybe it could use the domainname of the feed?

Last edited by JanDW (2009-04-21 20:22:20)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#8 2009-04-21 21:34:15

makss
Plugin Author
Website

JanDW wrote:

makks: When I input multiple feeds, will they get intermingled or will they appear one feed after the other? I’m experiencing the latter one, but I’m hoping it might be something I do, since I’m interested in the former. :-)
I think it would be nice to have a chronological order of multiple feeds in one. :-)

Multiple feeds have a chronological order. Demo page is available now. :)

Also a couple of features that would interest me:
wraptag and break attributes?

All feed items output with TxP form, your may write any html or Txp tags. See sample rss form on demo page.

If multiple feeds are called it would be nice if a css class could be added so that I can style them. Maybe it could use the domainname of the feed?

Well, I think about it.

Last edited by makss (2016-01-16 18:18:29)

#9 2009-04-21 21:45:22

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

makss wrote

Multiple feeds have a chronological order, Demo page is available now :)

Great, that’s helpful – Thanks Makks

#10 2009-04-22 00:47:42

merz1
Website

Please promote aks_rss here: simplepie.org/wiki/plugins/start

• It would be great if aks_rss and the SimplePie Plugin for Textpattern could be consolidated into one great plug-in.
  • The SimplePie Plugin for Textpattern does not offer multi feed fetching!
  • The SimplePie Plugin for Textpattern offers more possibilities to control the output.

For a comparison here is the documentation for the standard SimplePie plug-in:

SimplePie Plugin for Textpattern adds one tag to your Textpattern installation: the <txp:feed> tag. Here’s how you use it:

1. <txp:feed>http://example.com/feed.xml</txp:feed> — To load a feed on your Textpattern pages, simply wrap the feed URL with <txp:feed> tags. Doing this with no attributes will display the default way:
    • An <h3> containing the feed’s title, linked back to the originating site.
    • An unordered list, containing all of the news items in the feed.
    • The news item’s title, linked back to the originating post.
    • The full HTML description for each news item.
  2. items attribute — Limits the number of items returned. If you set this value to 5, then you’ll get back the 5 most recent posts. If there’s a feed with fewer than 5 posts, SimplePie will return all of them. Defaults to all.
  3. showdesc attribute — Determines whether the description should be shown or not. If set to false, descriptions are omitted, and the ordered list will display only the linked item titles with no special formatting. Defaults to true.
  4. showdate attribute — Displays the date of the news item. Accepts anything that’s allowed in PHP’s date() function. Defaults to blank.
  5. shortdesc attribute — Strips all tags from the item’s description and limits the number of characters that are displayed. Accepts any numeric value. If more characters are allowed than are in the description, the entire description will be displayed. If the text wasn’t cut at the end of a sentence (ending with a period, exclamation point, or question mark), an ellipsis will be added to the end of the text. Defaults to all characters.
  6. showtitle attribute — Determines whether the built-in feed title is displayed or not. Defaults to true.
  7. alttitle attribute — Displays a custom title in place of the feed’s built-in title. If “-1” is entered no title is displayed (removes the built-in title too). Defaults to blank.
  8. h attribute – Define the html header used for the title (eg h4) defaults to h3.
  9. listtype attribute – defines the list type. Eg listtype=“ol” will give an ordered list. Defaults to “ul”.
  10. error keyword — Displays a custom error message for when there is a problem retrieving the feed. Defaults to the standard error messages.

Last edited by merz1 (2009-04-22 00:48:45)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#11 2009-04-22 11:29:17

makss
Plugin Author
Website

aks_rss Version 0.1.2 released

New:

• Add support inline form. <txp:aks_rss feed="http://abc.com/rss.xml">Output form here</txp:aks_rss>

Add in 2do list :)

• Add css class for each feed
  • Compatibility with SimplePie Plugin for Textpattern

Last edited by makss (2009-04-22 12:04:28)

#12 2009-04-22 15:17:54

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Nice! Great to see container tags are added. I’ve got the css class working with some php inside the form, but it’ll be great when it is part of the plugin :) I love the multiple feeds.

@merz: what do you mean by promote and where is it to be done exactly?

Board footer