Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2008-11-21 04:49:48

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

[contrib] Tabula Rasa forum style

Now that I’m trolling more and more on the forums, I found a desire to tweak up the style. In my eyes, the default Txpish style clashed with the minimal Txp branding more than it gelled. Liquid layouts are terrible for readability, which goes against the purpose of a forum. I traded in Verdana for Helvetica. I could jabber on about all the little details I attended to, but I’ll let the design speak for itself.

I’ve put up demos of the three views: categories, threads, and posts, so everyone can view it in action, sorta.

Before and after thumbnails:

Currently, the style only exists as a userstyle for the Stylish add-on for Firefox. But if enough people like it, I could easily produce the CSS files (in their proper base.css / style.css / style_cs.css format) so this could be another selection under the Display preferences. Maybe sprucing up the forums would be a nice touch to coincide with the 4.0.7 release.

TXP Forum – Tabula Rasa userstyle

The userstyle only works with the Txpish style in use, not with Oxygen. Since its just a userstyle, I’ve only tested it with Firefox, (a production-ready version would be properly tested). As this is still in development, all comments and complaints are appreciated.

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

#2 2008-11-21 10:19:39

woof

Re: [contrib] Tabula Rasa forum style

I have to say I love this, thank you. Personally I find the strong red on the links a bit hard on the eyes but otherwise I think this is really fab – well designed with lots of lovely details.

#3 2008-11-21 14:52:49

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

really nice!
I did my own variation with a bit bigger fonts and less red, but it makes everything so clean and airy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#4 2008-11-21 18:35:26

jstubbs
Website

Lovely!

#5 2008-11-22 11:08:27

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I like this but the one thing that appears to be missing that I find extremely useful is the “new posts” indicator on the main page. I don’t really want to go through all the forums to find out where the new posts are. I don’t have the time. ;)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#6 2008-11-22 18:22:56

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

Personally I find the strong red on the links a bit hard on the eyes

Now that you mention it, it is kinda overly red. I’ll tone that down a bit.

…the one thing that appears to be missing that I find extremely useful is the “new posts” indicator on the main page

Stuart – indeed, I removed the magenta bullet for indicating new posts. However, I did replace this with a yellow highlight on the rows for new categories and threads. Maybe I made it too subtle to be noticeable?

I’m currently working on another similar userstyle for textpattern.org.

#7 2008-11-22 19:07:48

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Ahh. I may be missing it then. My screen is quite bright and I sometimes miss the subtle touches. I’ll look at the CSS and maybe modify it to suit me.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#8 2008-12-14 22:08:17

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

The general consensus was that the red links weren’t so hot. I’ve updated the style so now they are all #963 brown just like they used to be. I have to admit, it looks better. Thanks for everyone’s input.

#9 2009-01-13 12:49:42

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve compiled the user style so that it’s now in the appropriate format to be uploaded as a legitimate alternate style for the forum (base.css / style.css / style_cs.css).

http://nemoorange.com/files/tabula_css.zip

I would really like to see this theme be added at least as a selectable option for this forum. On top of that, I propose it be adopted as the default style since it has several benefits over the current “Txpish” theme:

• fixed width = shorter line length = better legibility/scannability
  • adheres closer to the TXP branding
  • looks better (at least in my opinion)

I’ve tested it in IE6 and IE7, Safari on Mac, FF3 on Win and Mac.

I’ve tried messaging Ruud and Wet directly about getting this added, but I haven’t seen a response yet. I realize they are both busy with actually finishing up another release. Maybe one of the forum mods can help with the cause and get this theme installed for the forum?

Last edited by nemoorange (2009-01-13 12:50:14)

#10 2009-01-13 16:00:47

els

nemoorange wrote:

Maybe one of the forum mods can help with the cause and get this theme installed for the forum?

ruud and wet are the only ones that have the right forum privileges for this, moderators can’t do it. Maybe wait until after the next release?

#11 2009-01-14 06:34:17

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

I will look into it during the next weekend.

#12 2009-01-14 13:08:58

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

Awesome. Thank you!

Board footer