Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#649 2008-09-30 16:27:55

freischwimmen
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] zem_event [flexible integrated event management]

i was looking for it as well a few weeks back until i looked around on my harddrive and found the original zip i downloaded from somewhere in 2007.
I upped it for you, works on a site i`m just setting up but just to clarify,
don`t blame me if sth goes wrong :)

a new offical host for this plugin would be nice though…

http://www.freischwimmen.de/dl/zem_event.zip

*edit: see link below

Last edited by freischwimmen (2008-09-30 18:35:05)

#650 2008-09-30 18:09:44

hakjoon
Website

For what it’s worth the JS files can be pulled from the SVN repo

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#651 2008-10-02 16:44:11

coopersita
Website

Is there a way to change the way the rss formats the entries?

I made my zem_event_display_feed the way I want, but for recurring events it shows it for every date of the event. Some events happen once a week for years, resulting in incredibly long entries of the same info over and over.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Or do I have to hack the code to display just the first instance of the feed, maybe add a UNIQUE to the MYSQL query somewhere?

Thanks

#652 2008-10-06 18:41:57

freischwimmen
Website

Hi all!
I have a problem with this plugin, hopefully someone cares to help or shows me my own mistake again :)

lets say i have a page which main focus is the date section, a bar, concert venue or something.
Now on the frontpage in the main content area i would like to display only the next event that is lined up,
complete with flyer, description and all that jazz…
in the sidebar of the frontpage i want to display the next 10 events from now on in a short version, just the date and title of the event.

the dates in the sidebar are shown and also ordered nicely by date without adding much to
<txp:zem_event_list />, so far so good.
also when i click on a certain date within that list, the full event (including description, flyer etc)
is shown in the main content area, right where i want it to be.

Now my problem:
Once i enter the dates section on the site frontend, not the next date lined up is showing in the main content area
but the last date i posted… aaaaargh!
also, events that have happened already and should be expired show up there as well if that particular date is the last one i posted…

no switch to the next lined up date is taking place, and that should be the case right?
i use this call to get the full event in my main content area:

<txp:article form=“zem_event_display” limit=“1” />

i tried using >> order=“zem_event_date.event_date asc” and also used <txp:zem_article_event />
without any luck, what am i missing here?

any help is greatly appreciated, i really need to get this thing working asap.
so far i never had the case that the next date is supposed to show up in a full view
automatically…

Thanks everyone!

#653 2008-10-06 21:21:30

coopersita
Website

In case anyone else is having the same problem as I am (see two posts above). What I did was comment out these two lines in the plugin code (toward the end):

1932 //register_callback(‘zem_event_feed_entry’, ‘atom_entry’);
1933 //register_callback(‘zem_event_feed_entry’, ‘rss_entry’);

This way I use textpattern’s native rss function, instead of zem_event’s.

This works for me, because in the <txp:body /> of my events, I have all the info I care to display in feeds.

#654 2008-10-11 13:26:34

freischwimmen
Website

If anyone could let me know if what i described above is possible at all, that would be really appreciated.
Is it possible to display the next occuring event in detail view on the frontpage by default?

Thanks for any help.

#655 2008-10-16 10:01:23

pepebe

Hi there,

due to a serious health problem, I have been mostly away from my computer for several weeks. Sorry to let you down.

On top of that I have lost about a third of my adaptions to my zem_event_reloaded due to a harddisk failure and a stupid backup policy. I know you all think about that every once in a while, but I have to remember you: BACKUP in the morning, BACKUP after lunch , BACKUP before dinner. This shall be your mantra. Write it down on a BIG piece of paper and stick it on the wall right in front of your face.

Right now I’m trying to patch the pieces I could safe together. Merging those pieces with the original zem_event results in loads of errors and so it will take me a day or two to fix it (example: for some reason each individual calendar entry appears twice, Arghhh). Fortunately I believe in pen and paper and therefore I have some notes to bring me back on the track. As my better half will be on beauty trip this weekend, I intend to engage in a 48 hours zem_event_reloaded marathon. I will write more about this on Friday.

If you want to support me, I would be glad, if you would mail me a list of features, you are terribly missing. (I know I could find most requests in the forum, but I would rather spend my time writing code, than searching this thread for requests). Also it would be great to know about bugs or usability problems regarding zem_event.

Mailadress for this project: zem_event_reloaded”@ as in at“pepebe.de

See you tomorrow,

pepebe

Last edited by pepebe (2008-10-16 10:08:58)

#656 2008-10-16 10:29:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Hi pepebe,

Glad to see you back and feeling well. I feel your pain about the HDD crash. Been burned by that in the past enough that I now attempt to follow something similar to that backup policy posted on my site :-) ‘Attempt’ being the operative word…

Looking forward to zem_event_revolutions (!) from your code-a-thon. If I find any features worthy of inclusion from the thread I’ll give you a shout.

Many thanks in advance for your work on this.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#657 2008-10-16 12:00:27

pepebe

@ decoderltd

Sifting through the remains of my code I just noticed that some changes applied to zem_event_list to enable “zem_event_category in the zem_event_list sort tag” seem to have an unexpected sideeffect.

I should have thought about that beforehand. :(

You described the problem here: http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=183331#p183331

Have you noticed, that events belonging to more that one event category appear multiple times in a calendar view?

I’m not sure if this happened before or if it is just a caused by the fact that my current patch work code is still a mess. Please have a look and tell me whether this happens on your page or not.

Regards,

pepebe

#658 2008-10-16 15:37:40

alannie

Hi, has anyone been able to figure out a way to use the zem_event_email tag without leaving the email exposed to spambots?

I attempted to use asy_wondertag to embed the zem_event_email tag inside a txp:email tag, but clicking on the resulting link just produced an email address that looked like it was still encoded (double-encoding, maybe?).

#659 2008-10-16 21:36:39

pepebe

@alannie

never thought about doing that with asy_wondertag. But protecting email addresses from abuse is generally a serious matter, I think we should have a general solution capable to prevent spam.

I don’t have the time right now to start a new plugin or hack, but I think something along this technique would circumvent many issues that usually come with email obfuscation. I even think, that such a solution should be added to txp core.

Edit1: Of course <txp:email /> already obfuscates an email address to some extend. Yet I believe that the way it is done right now is not sufficient. The approach above looks much more promising to me (at least for another 12 or 18 months…).

Anyway, I think this is well worth to become an individual thread (though I doubt this topic hasn’t been pondered upon before…)

Edit2: In November 2007 the list apart article I mentioned above has already been brought to the attention of the forum by allanie itself. Graceful email obfuscation, ALA-style

Unfortunately it seems that until now nobody bothered to integrate this approach into txp.

Regards,

pepebe

Last edited by pepebe (2008-10-16 23:41:43)

#660 2008-10-20 09:23:49

decoderltd
Website

Hi Pepebe,

Sorry to hear about your illness and glad to see you back and, I hope, feeling much better.

I’ve been pretty busy lately so falling behind on my TXP projects. I’ve checked the tennis site calendar you helped me with and I don’t seem to be suffering from the repeating problem you mentioned – I’ll keep an eye out and maybe add some more events to test it further.

Board footer