You are not logged in.
Knowing that keeping any free application updated is a good security move, I’m starting this thread so the community can keep TxB admins reminded of needed updates, because, you know, none of us follow it with held breath. :)
Actually, we have two wikis to maintain:
We use the latter wiki to test upgrades, mods and extensions before directly applying them to the main site, theoretically speaking.
special:Version is a wiki system page that that dynamically shows:
These PHP modules must be turned on. (They are.)
Last edited by Destry (2008-10-16 10:35:00)
Thanks for that link on 1.12 that will hopefully make my life a lot easier.
I definitely haven’t had time to look into upgrading after I finally solved the log in time out issues, which cropped up after the server move.
Shoving is the answer – pusher robot
Adding those php modules is supposed to be the “right” way to do it, and it’s been verified by folks in both the MediaWiki and Joyent camps. However, there is another way to do it (proven with v.1.12.0), considered a quick-temp fix for those who don’t have access to adding php modules on their server. I’m using this method now on the demo site which is on a shared Accelerator at Joyent, so I know it works too (I had the blank screen without it).
Simply add the following in the LocalSettingsMods.php file (or whatever the safety file is named…I can’t remember off hand)…
##Temp fix for the php-xml problem with MW version 1.12.0 stable. Real fix is to install php-xml on apache and restart.
$wgParserConf[‘preprocessorClass’] = ‘Preprocessor_Hash’;
Comment can be edited, and probably needs to be. It was just how I understood things when I discovered the fix.
Anyway, I would try this as plan B if there’s a problem at all with adding the modules.
The demo site has been updated to v1.13.1 and everything went smooth. I preferred a manual re-installer approach because of the customized nature of the new skin (and not having my Mac/Terminal at disposal). I’ve written the exact instructs as a separate new admin help doc, to help with the effort of rewriting help docs into the “help:” namespace.
The demo site still runs the quick-fix mentioned in the previous post above, not the php modules, so before I under-cut Patrick on any fun, I’d like to install the modules on the demo site first to ensure every scenario is golden. Not to put pressure on Patrick or anything. :)
Seems like everything should be good though.
Demo site now runs using the modules turned on and the quick-fix code removed from LocalSettings. That was the final test, and it seems to work fine. I didn’t actually test if 1.13.1 would work without the modules, but I won’t bother either. Clearly if TxB is upgraded to 1.13.1 with modules first turned on, it should work.
Well done on the new textbook, it’s much better.