Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2008-02-07 17:59:45

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [ARCHIVED] Postmaster (0.4.4) -A simple newsletter manager

andreas,

Thanks for the info. I think I might have it now — my quess is the quotation marks in your tag are messing with the PHP. If using <txp:title /> is working fine for you for now, do that, and I’ll poke around in there and see if I can’t get that fixed up for the next version.

• Ben

#50 2008-02-07 22:54:12

fowler

simple request..

all i want is a way to record an email address. nothing else.
i don’t want it to forward to another email address, i just want record the subscriber…

#51 2008-02-08 12:34:12

maniqui
Website

¿Bug? When trying to manually add a subscriber from the “Subscribers” tab, when I click on the “Add subscriber” submit button, it takes me to the Content -> Write tab and the subscriber isn’t added.

Thanks.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#52 2008-02-08 17:21:12

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui, I get that same behavior. I’ll find it and fix it. In the meantime, it works if instead of using the Submit button, you simply hit the “Enter” key.

• Ben

#53 2008-02-08 17:23:29

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

fowler,

You’ll have to look at zem_contact_reborn to see if you can avoid sending an email with the subscription. I’ve always used it as an alert — I just filter emails sent to that particular address (on my site it’s postmaster@benbruce.com) into a folder. They just pop in there and it just lets me know that someone has signed up.

• Ben

#54 2008-02-09 02:44:42

fowler

one more question, which i’m sure has been addressed…

i assume that there needs to be a label over a text input field… ?

i’ve tried to hide it with css, but it appears to have a <br> after… which still shows up no matter what i do.

any way to delete that guy? maybe editing the plugin? i’m not really sure…

#55 2008-02-09 02:49:23

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

fowler wrote:

one more question, which i’m sure has been addressed…

i assume that there needs to be a label over a text input field… ?

i’ve tried to hide it with css, but it appears to have a <br> after… which still shows up no matter what i do.

any way to delete that guy? maybe editing the plugin? i’m not really sure…

if you’re talking about zem_contact_reborn, there should be a break attribute (so you can do break="")

Last edited by iblastoff (2008-02-09 02:49:40)

#56 2008-02-09 03:00:14

fowler

oh, yeah… i probably should have looked harder :)

#57 2008-02-09 07:46:31

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

maniqui wrote:

¿Bug? When trying to manually add a subscriber from the “Subscribers” tab, when I click on the “Add subscriber” submit button, it takes me to the Content -> Write tab and the subscriber isn’t added.

benbruce wrote:

maniqui, I get that same behavior. I’ll find it and fix it. In the meantime, it works if instead of using the Submit button, you simply hit the “Enter” key.

I am experiencing the same bug and the ‘enter’ key does not override it.

Last edited by colak (2008-02-11 08:07:29)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#58 2008-02-09 16:17:08

maniqui
Website

Although I’ve been sporadically playing with this wonderful plug-in since long time ago, I must admit I have never used it to send a newsletter yet, but just to get people subscribed.
Now, the time has arrived. I’m excited!

I’ve set almost everything. It only left the “forms” to be created. But before, I need to make my head around two possible (among many) ways I think this plug-in can be used.
This ways are:

• to notify about new articles published on the site.
  • to send a newsletter including information that won’t be published publicly on any front-end section of the website.

So, I’ve created two lists: “notification” and “newsletter”.
Then, I’ve imported a list of subscribers and subscribed them to both lists. Also, any new registered user will belong to both lists.

a) Sending notification e-mails

The site has a “blog” section, where articles are published and can be read on the site. So, the article is written and published to that section. Then, the user sends the notification by selecting the “notification” list.
Although I haven’t created the form yet, it will be very similar to the default one. A subject with “[Site name] Notification: an article has been…” and the e-mail body will have just the link to the article, the link to the site, maybe the excerpt, and the unsubscribe link.

b) Sending newsletter emails

The site has a “newsletter” section, and content posted there isn’t publicly available. “Articles” published here are more like classic e-mails, where the site owner wants to send a greeting to all subscribers, or a reminder, or a change about to come, or that the business is closed for vacations.
In his case, the subject will be something like: “[Site name] Newsletter…”.
The form will include the article body, an links to the site an unsubscribe link, but won’t include a link to the “article”.

That’s more or less the idea.

—————

Some possible improvements

Using just one form for both e-mails. Because articles are published in different sections, I think it would be possible to use <txp:if_article_section> tags (ben, can you confirm this is possible?) inside one form, and so, you can have both e-mail templates in one place.
The only “problem” I see is the subject. Subjects are defined per list. If there is a subject that fit both kind of e-mails, then there is no problem. But if each list needs it’s own subject… well… thinking about it agan… maybe <txp:if_article_section> can be used on the List Subject. What do you think, Ben? If this work, this would also remove the need of having two lists…

Some ideas for the future

Related to the above, about the subject, maybe there is a chance to pick up the subject when you are about to send the e-mail. It could be an single line input field, and/or a dropdown with predefined subjects…

Another idea: to have a global unsubscribe link, so you can set one unsubscribe link for all list. I mean, I’ve tested the unsubscribe link for one list, and it unsubscribes the subscriber from every list, that is, the subscriber is definitely delated from the ddbb.
That’s good, I think. (The other option is to only unsubscribe the subscriber from the list to which the e-mail —where he clicked the unsubscribe link— belongs).
So, if that is the default (and only) behavior, why don’t have the unsubscribe URL to be just one globally set?

Of course, it could also be overridden by setting an URL on a particular list, to have customized content when the user unsubscribes from a particular list.

That’s all by now… thanks Ben for this great plug-in.

Last edited by maniqui (2008-02-09 17:51:08)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#59 2008-02-11 01:47:43

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Maniqui,

a) Sending notification e-mails
The site has a “blog” section, where articles are published and can be read on the site. So, the article is written and published to that section. Then, the user sends the notification by selecting the “notification” list.
Although I haven’t created the form yet, it will be very similar to the default one. A subject with “[Site name] Notification: an article has been…” and the e-mail body will have just the link to the article, the link to the site, maybe the excerpt, and the unsubscribe link.
b) Sending newsletter emails
The site has a “newsletter” section, and content posted there isn’t publicly available. “Articles” published here are more like classic e-mails, where the site owner wants to send a greeting to all subscribers, or a reminder, or a change about to come, or that the business is closed for vacations.
In his case, the subject will be something like: “[Site name] Newsletter…”.
The form will include the article body, an links to the site an unsubscribe link, but won’t include a link to the “article”.

Yes, this all sounds right.

Using just one form for both e-mails. Because articles are published in different sections, I think it would be possible to use <txp:if_article_section> tags (ben, can you confirm this is possible?) inside one form, and so, you can have both e-mail templates in one place.
The only “problem” I see is the subject. Subjects are defined per list. If there is a subject that fit both kind of e-mails, then there is no problem. But if each list needs it’s own subject… well… thinking about it agan… maybe <txp:if_article_section> can be used on the List Subject. What do you think, Ben? If this work, this would also remove the need of having two lists…

I’ve never tried the <txp:if_article_section> trick but it should work fine. As for the subject lines, you could use <txp:title /> for both lists (set both lists’ subject lines in the Postmaster admin to “@txp:title />@”, and then whatever List you’re sending to would help determine what the title should be. Or you could use a custom field for that.

Related to the above, about the subject, maybe there is a chance to pick up the subject when you are about to send the e-mail. It could be an single line input field, and/or a dropdown with predefined subjects…

Again, I think this is already possible — simply use existing fields on the article page for this purpose (Title, or a Custom Field).

Another idea: to have a global unsubscribe link, so you can set one unsubscribe link for all list. I mean, I’ve tested the unsubscribe link for one list, and it unsubscribes the subscriber from every list, that is, the subscriber is definitely delated from the ddbb.
That’s good, I think. (The other option is to only unsubscribe the subscriber from the list to which the e-mail —where he clicked the unsubscribe link— belongs). So, if that is the default (and only) behavior, why don’t have the unsubscribe URL to be just one globally set? Of course, it could also be overridden by setting an URL on a particular list, to have customized content when the user unsubscribes from a particular list.

This is a good idea. I’ll add it to the feature request page.

That’s all by now… thanks Ben for this great plug-in.

Your welcome, and thanks for all your feedback on the manual and the plugin,

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2008-02-11 02:29:24)

#60 2008-02-11 19:51:28

joel

I cant get this wonderful plugin to work properly, though I believe I’ve played it by the book. ;)

The subscription goes well. All the subscribers are listed under the Postmaster tab. I’ve set up a non public section for the newsletters. I’ve also created an article form with the proper tags for non-html-emails.

When I hit test – txp returns a “Page not found – www.domain.com/textpattern/index.php”

I’m on 4.0.5 with the latest Postmaster 4.0.3 and 0.2.2 lib

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Board footer