Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2008-01-22 16:22:24

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [ARCHIVED] Postmaster (0.4.4) -A simple newsletter manager

colak,

I think that is it but I don’t remember offhand why I did it that way so I’m letting it percolate. Are there any limits to how much info can be entered into an text input rather than a textarea that you know of?

• Ben

#38 2008-01-22 16:38:49

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

benbruce wrote:

colak,

I think that is it but I don’t remember offhand why I did it that way so I’m letting it percolate. Are there any limits to how much info can be entered into an text input rather than a textarea that you know of?

• Ben

Hi Ben

As far as i know the text limit on the input field is determined by the maxlength="#" attribute. So I would think that without a maxlength there will be no limit.

Last edited by colak (2008-01-22 18:18:17)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#39 2008-01-22 18:24:19

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

colak,

Changing the input does allow the Enter key to submit the form. I’m wondering if that’s the right move though — I think the point there is that the custom fields could hold anything. What if you want paragraphs of information? There’s no way to do it, then. I’m just thinking here, because I don’t really even know if the textarea allows for that in practice anyway (yes, you can hit return and get a line break, but does it remain in the database?).

#40 2008-01-22 18:49:24

colak
Admin

Added a linebreak in the “Edit subscriber>lists” and checked it through phpMyAdmin which seems that it recorded it in the <input /> field which corresponds to that entry. The problem I saw in phpMyAdmin was that the text which ended up in the second line was not visible. Maybe some fields should use the input tag and others the textarea. For example I think that those which are actually appearing as “input” in phpMyAdmin they should remain as such in the plugin interface. I can fully understand when you say that “the custom fields could hold anything”, but the “name”, “email” and “lists” fields are allocated for particular rather than general uses so I can not see anyone wanting to have paragraphs for those ones.

Ben, as I said in my original posts these are not vital issues for me… Your plugin does work great from here.

Yiannis
——————————

#41 2008-01-22 19:03:01

gemal
Website

You also need to add a newline before the text so that:

[edited since this made adding custom headers impossible. sorry just ignore that post]

Last edited by gemal (2008-01-23 08:27:58)

#42 2008-02-05 13:41:51

colak
Admin

Is this plugin compatible with txpv4.0.6. I am yet to upgrade to it but somehow I think that postmaster will stop working as it does not cohere to the naming conventions for txp. I was waiting for the plugin’s new release for a long time now and with 4.0.6 it is possible that it might break. Can somebody confirm?

Yiannis
——————————

#43 2008-02-05 14:16:57

kees-b
Website

colak wrote:

Is this plugin compatible with txpv4.0.6. I am yet to upgrade to it but somehow I think that postmaster will stop working as it does not cohere to the naming conventions for txp. I was waiting for the plugin’s new release for a long time now and with 4.0.6 it is possible that it might break. Can somebody confirm?

no problems here
subcribers are entered in the database and newsletters are sent

kees

#44 2008-02-05 14:55:56

gemal
Website

This issue is not fixed in the code:

Looking at the code I think i found a bug. In the Postmaster library you have:

$end_mime = <<<end_mime
--$mime_boundary
end_mime;

I think this should be:

$end_mime = <<<end_mime
--$mime_boundary--
end_mime;

You are missing those two “—” at the end. This causes sending of invalid HTML/TXT mails :(

#45 2008-02-05 17:27:35

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Gemal,

The fixes are made in the version I have, I just haven’t packaged it up yet.

Updated to Postmaster v.0.4.3 and Postmaster Library v.0.2.2

• Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2008-02-05 23:01:26)

#46 2008-02-06 09:19:49

andreas
Website

Hi Ben,

thanks for the great improvements in the new postmaster version.

I’ve come across one bug, though: in the lists edit area, the textfield for the e-mail subject behaves weirdly, see screenshot. After saving, parts of the subject are cropped.

#47 2008-02-06 23:58:25

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

andreas,

Very odd. I found one list on one site that had that same bug. But when I saved a new subject line in the input field, the issue went away. Not sure what that is.

Can you confirm:

• that you are using PM 0.4.3 and PML 0.2.2
  • that when you save a new version of the subject line in that odd input field, it’s cutting off the end of the subject line and still giving you the bug? or does it go away after you’ve saved a new version of the subject line?
  • Ben

Last edited by benbruce (2008-02-07 00:00:21)

#48 2008-02-07 08:09:41

andreas
Website

benbruce wrote:

that you are using PM 0.4.3 and PML 0.2.2

Yes.

that when you save a new version of the subject line in that odd input field, it’s cutting off the end of the subject line and still giving you the bug? or does it go away after you’ve saved a new version of the subject line?

It stays when I use this subject line: [KGN] <txp:bab_pm_data display="Title" />. The content seems to get stored alright because the mailings arrive with a proper subject. However, when I call the list admin page again, what I get is what you see in the screenshot. Then, the subject line is always cut at the same spot:

[KGN] <txp:bab_pm_data display=

But, when I use <txp:title /> instead of the PM tag it seems to go away — even though I had to flush the cache to see any changes. (That didn’t help with the PM tag.)

Board footer