Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2008-01-21 19:07:29

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [ARCHIVED] Postmaster (0.4.4) -A simple newsletter manager

benbruce wrote:

re: the export/import function. Earlier in the thread you mentioned they were working great — was that on a different site, or had you simply not noticed the transcription error yet?

I hadn’t noticed the error after importing for a bit – I got caught up learning ’90s web design for HTML emails. I did an export and import because the site I was working on needed to be moved to a new host, and the client didn’t have any login access (MySQL or FTP). I installed the updated plugin and exported as a CSV. This is a sample of the output (emails and names changed) – I can send you the whole file if you want:

6,Example name,mail@example.com.com,default,,,,,,,,,,,,mailed,561ca8889f64aeff8590d90f6aa565b0
108,Another example,someone@example.com,default,,,,,,,,,,,,mailed,728fad73db4bd9724c71135b71a3c3c9

Edit: I’m only getting a couple errors with 0.4.1:

Notice: Undefined variable: uPosted in /home/example/public_html/hnn/textpattern/publish.php on line 843

Notice: Undefined variable: thisarticle in /home/example/public_html/hnn/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(552) : eval()’d code on line 552

Newsletter form contents:

<txp:bab_pm_mime type="text" />
<txp:title />

Last edited by jm (2008-01-21 19:39:51)

#32 2008-01-21 22:22:32

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve updated the download page with a new version (0.4.2) that fixes the import/export issue found by jm.

• Ben

#33 2008-01-21 22:33:40

gemal
Website

Looking at the code I think i found a bug. In the Postmaster library you have:

$end_mime = <<<end_mime
—$mime_boundary
end_mime;

I think this should be:

$end_mime = <<<end_mime
—$mime_boundary—
end_mime;

My mailserver conplains about:
X-Amavis-Alert: BAD HEADER, MIME error: error: part did not end with expected boundary

Looking at the RFC 1521 it says:
“The encapsulation boundary following the last body part is a distinguished delimiter that indicates that no further body parts will follow. Such a delimiter is identical to the previous delimiters, with the addition of two more hyphens at the end of the line”

I think you’re missing those two hyphens at the end

#34 2008-01-21 22:42:14

gemal
Website

Futhermore in the postmaster library this:

$headers = “From: $listAdminEmail”. $sep.‘Reply-To: ‘.$listAdminEmail. $sep.‘X-Mailer: Textpattern/Postmaster’.

should be changed to:

$headers = “From: $listAdminEmail”. $sep.‘X-Mailer: Textpattern/Postmaster’.

No need for adding the Reply-To header since it’s the same as the From address

The code is duplicated in the Postmaster code also. So be sure to remove the line in both places :)

#35 2008-01-21 22:48:36

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks Gemal. Keep ‘em coming,

• Ben

#36 2008-01-22 09:04:19

colak
Admin
Website

Hi Ben,

re my comment here

• I found that the fields in the “Add a Subscriber” page do not recognise the enter/return key to post/save the entry but instead they change the line, like in a word processor.

Would it be because you are using

<textarea name="newSubscriberEmail" cols="40" rows="5" style="width: 440px; height: 14px;"></textarea>

instead of

<input name="newSubscriberEmail" value="" type="text" style="width: 440px; height: 14px;" />?

etc…

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | neme-imca.org | hblack.net | LABS

#37 2008-01-22 16:22:24

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

colak,

I think that is it but I don’t remember offhand why I did it that way so I’m letting it percolate. Are there any limits to how much info can be entered into an text input rather than a textarea that you know of?

• Ben

#38 2008-01-22 16:38:49

colak
Admin
Website

benbruce wrote:

colak,

I think that is it but I don’t remember offhand why I did it that way so I’m letting it percolate. Are there any limits to how much info can be entered into an text input rather than a textarea that you know of?

• Ben

Hi Ben

As far as i know the text limit on the input field is determined by the maxlength="#" attribute. So I would think that without a maxlength there will be no limit.

Last edited by colak (2008-01-22 18:18:17)

Yiannis
——————————

#39 2008-01-22 18:24:19

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

colak,

Changing the input does allow the Enter key to submit the form. I’m wondering if that’s the right move though — I think the point there is that the custom fields could hold anything. What if you want paragraphs of information? There’s no way to do it, then. I’m just thinking here, because I don’t really even know if the textarea allows for that in practice anyway (yes, you can hit return and get a line break, but does it remain in the database?).

#40 2008-01-22 18:49:24

colak
Admin
Website

Added a linebreak in the “Edit subscriber>lists” and checked it through phpMyAdmin which seems that it recorded it in the <input /> field which corresponds to that entry. The problem I saw in phpMyAdmin was that the text which ended up in the second line was not visible. Maybe some fields should use the input tag and others the textarea. For example I think that those which are actually appearing as “input” in phpMyAdmin they should remain as such in the plugin interface. I can fully understand when you say that “the custom fields could hold anything”, but the “name”, “email” and “lists” fields are allocated for particular rather than general uses so I can not see anyone wanting to have paragraphs for those ones.

Ben, as I said in my original posts these are not vital issues for me… Your plugin does work great from here.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer