Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#409 2007-10-25 14:16:04

paxrex33

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

I really like textpattern and I wanted to use it for my site but…
My site should be bilingual so I wanted to install MLP and use it with Textpattern.
I had few problems during the install.

I’m using WAMP5 1.7.2 (Apache/2.2.4; MySQL 5.0.41; PHP 5.2.3) and Textpattern 4.0.5 on WinXP SP2.

First problem:
During the install process of MLP, tables l10n_txp_en_gb and l10n_txp_hr_hr were not created so I had to create them myself.
I found setup_7() function in l10n_admin_classes.php and echoed the query. I ran the query in PHP My Admin and it failed also.

Second problem:
This admin language thing is very annoying. Whatever language I choose in admin/preferences tab it uses English. I tried all the tricks I found on this forum (Firefox languages) and nothing happened.

Third problem:
Section title can only be entered in English. I updated the database myself but nothing happens. Still only english titles are displayed. How can this be fixed? I’m willing to help but my knowledge of PHP is rather poor. I found on this forum that it wasn’t the case with Textpattern 4.0.4. But I can’t download 4.0.4 version.
Can somebody send the link to previous version? I can’t find it.

#410 2007-10-25 14:42:10

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

You should not downgrade Textpattern to 4.0.4. – never. It’s for your own safety, and for security of your website.

But if you wan’t to see earlier versions, see releases browser

And for the full 4.0.4. zip, click & download here

Cheers!

#411 2007-10-26 15:41:45

milkshake
Website

Updating an mlp site to 4.0.5 seemed to work fine here, following Els’ steps.

I didn’t modify the mlp txplib_db.php as I wasn’t totally clear from ruud’s post that this was necessary / part of the problem. I guess not as it works fine.

I did modify l10n_admin.php with graeme’s patch to fix the “blank write page” bug (in my case introduced when the server got a PHP/MySQL upgrade).

PHP version: 5.2.4
MySQL version: 5.0.45

UPDATE: After more testing I found some erratic behavior when creating/cloning. Hard to describe, but it seems the table relationships are a bit off. Language not getting set properly, orphaned clones, strange…

Patched txplib_db.php with ruud’s code in the hope of a fix

Last edited by milkshake (2007-10-30 09:26:11)

#412 2007-11-01 23:56:05

fuls
Website

I’m having problems with rss_unlimited_category plugin, it seems that it only recognizes article category title from one language.
Anyone with the same problem?

Maybe this would be helpful to someone: when I downgraded PHP on my server from 5 to 4.4.7 everything started to work perfectly (TXP 4.0.5).
Before that I had problems with showing both languages inside sections, I wasn’t able to pick admin language from top drop down menu generated by MLP etc..

#413 2007-11-03 12:50:09

predrag
Website

Hello, everyone.
I’m having problems with plugin, altrough, it is working.

1. When I select language, I’m redirected to root URL, but content that is shown is right.
2. After I click some other link, language part of the URL (en/fr/de…) disappears. Still, the content is in chosen language.
3. As site is in development, I keep it on URL like this: http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/
/villa/ was URL for slicing, and now I use /cms/ for Textpattern.
4. If I’m on other section than starting and I wish to see that section in other language than current, I get this kind of URL: http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/fr/villa/cms/tourism
It adds path.to to language part (/villa/cms/ is path.to, after that it should stay current language (eg. fr), but I don’t know why it adds /villa/cms/ again?!)
And, again – it shows Deafult section/page after change of language.

I doubt, that this is problem with plugin, I would rather say that I’m doing something wrong, so if anyone could be so kind to help me out. Thanks!

Take care,
Pedja

Predrag Drljača
Design for print and new media
WIP site
Cheerz, every1 :D

#414 2007-11-03 13:20:37

Exiladler
Website

Hi,

very interested to resolve this as I have similar problems

Looking quickly at your code:

<ul class="l10n_lang_list"><li class="en-gb"><a href="http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/en//tourism"><span dir="ltr">English (GB)</span></a></li>
	<li class="de-de l10n_current"><span dir="ltr">Deutsch</span></li>
	<li class="fr-fr"><a href="http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/fr//tourism"><span dir="ltr">Français</span></a></li>
	<li class="hr-hr"><a href="http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/hr//tourism"><span dir="ltr">Hrvatski</span></a></li>
	<li class="pl-pl"><a href="http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/pl//tourism"><span dir="ltr">Polski</span></a></li></ul>
</li>

I noticed that there is a double ‘/’ after the language (en//tourism) and before the section/category, in this case tourism. I guess this is the reason for it creating a wrong URL and the .htaccess sends it to the homepage but remembers the correct languange selected.

Hope this helps
Peter

#415 2007-11-03 13:53:17

predrag
Website

@Exiladler, thank you very much for taking time to check it out.

<li class="multilang"><a href="#" title="Language">Language</a>
<ul class="l10n_lang_list"><li class="en-gb l10n_current"><span dir="ltr">English (GB)</span></li>
	<li class="de-de"><a href="http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/de/villa/cms"><span dir="ltr">Deutsch</span></a></li>
	<li class="fr-fr"><a href="http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/fr/villa/cms"><span dir="ltr">Français</span></a></li>
	<li class="hr-hr"><a href="http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/hr/villa/cms"><span dir="ltr">Hrvatski</span></a></li>
	<li class="pl-pl"><a href="http://pedja.dragan.ca/villa/cms/pl/villa/cms"><span dir="ltr">Polski</span></a></li></ul>
</li>

This is what I get at first visit. I get no double-dash, altrough I get it, but don’t know exactly in what situation. Don’t know why it adds another path.to. Nevertheless, I’m redirected anyway…

I do not use section_list, nor use categories. I make navigation link by directly pointing to section because there is no news or articles-from-time-to-time = static pages.
I use this form:

<div id="navig">
<ul>
<li><a class="home" href="<txp:link_to_home />" title="Home">Home</a></li>
<li><a class="villa" href="<txp:link_to_home />villa-kristina" title="Villa Kristina">Villa Kristina</a></li>
<li><a class="apartments" href="<txp:link_to_home />apartments" title="Apartments">Apartments</a></li>
<li><a class="gallery" href="<txp:link_to_home />photo-gallery" title="Photo Gallery">Photo Gallery</a></li>
<li><a class="tourism" href="<txp:link_to_home />tourism" title="Tourism">Tourism</a></li>
<li><a class="contact" href="<txp:link_to_home />contact" title="Contact">Contact</a></li>
<li class="multilang"><a href="#" title="Language">Language</a>
<txp:l10n_lang_list />
</li>
</ul>
</div><!-- /navig -->

Hm… can’t get double-dash situation, again… :s

EDIT: oh, yes… btw, this is great plugin and two thumbs up for creator -_o

EDIT2:
double dash situation: I select some section/navlink, select another language (I’m redirected back to root) and now when I hover language I get doubledash. double dash situation is closest to correct url, except that another dash :)

Last edited by predrag (2007-11-03 14:02:03)

Predrag Drljača
WIP site

#416 2007-11-04 20:07:45

predrag
Website

I’ve managed to make it work (there’s some minor bugs, but it works).
I’ve added <txp:l10n_get_lang /> in my main navigation (as one in the footer) form after <txp:link_to_home />. It does not go back to start page, now. I suspected that it is my mistake and it was.

Predrag Drljača
WIP site

#417 2007-11-05 13:29:17

zoltandragon

jmk wrote:

so if you want it to change to Italian, you have to have Italian [it] in the Advanced Options > General > Language (choose) box at the top. AND you have to delete your cookies.

I am having the very same problem: after installing the mlp pack, and applying the hack to the admin file in lib, the following things happen:

1. under Presentation > Sections there is only one language present to which I can assign section titles (yes, I installed and activated two languages, and the mlp is set to handle both)
2. whenever I want to change the default language of the backend, it jumps back… i.e.: originally it is en-gb, then I change it to Hungarian (hu-hu), save it, then click on any other tab, and everything goes back to English…

Can somebody help with this? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by zoltandragon (2007-11-05 13:30:11)

#418 2007-11-05 14:06:09

fuls
Website

zoltandragon wrote:

jmk wrote:

so if you want it to change to Italian, you have to have Italian [it] in the Advanced Options > General > Language (choose) box at the top. AND you have to delete your cookies.

I am having the very same problem: after installing the mlp pack, and applying the hack to the admin file in lib, the following things happen:

1. under Presentation > Sections there is only one language present to which I can assign section titles (yes, I installed and activated two languages, and the mlp is set to handle both)
2. whenever I want to change the default language of the backend, it jumps back… i.e.: originally it is en-gb, then I change it to Hungarian (hu-hu), save it, then click on any other tab, and everything goes back to English…

Can somebody help with this? Thanks in advance!

You probably have PHP 5…try to downgrade it to 4…

#419 2007-11-05 14:25:20

zoltandragon

Thanks very much – yes, it’s php5… is there no way the plugin could cope with it? (or is it just a rhetorical question?)

#420 2007-11-12 05:19:52

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

I finally got around to installing TxP4.05 on a newly updated machine this weekend and tried a fresh install of the MLP pack on that and guess what — now I can see a lot of what has been reported in the thread already (and a couple of things I think have been missed.)

Just so you know, I’m running Ubuntu (Gutsy) with a Linux 2.6.22-14 kernel, PHP: 5.2.3, MySQL: 5.0.45 and Apache: 2.2.4

Something has definitely changed with this setup compared to my previous one (on which I was unable to see a lot of these problems.)

On my local test site I have been able to eliminate many of the errors on the above platform combination with a few simple edits and now have a very nice trilingual site working pretty much correctly on both the public and the admin side. However, these changes need some testing on other A-M-P combinations too, specifically PHP4.

I intend to put in some time now to start fixing these problems as I want to see this become a more reliable solution for peoples’ multi-lingual sites.

Will keep you posted on progress but please be patient :O)

Steve

Board footer