Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-06-12 02:47:01

alesh
Website

Flagged by Badware

Help! My website has been flagged by Badware. The best I can guess is that one of my pluggins is causing a falese-negative. Here are the pluggins that are currently active on my site:

ajw_comments_feed
chh_article_custom
chh_article_lib
chh_if_data
chh_related_articles
etz_striptags
jnm_recent_comments_unique
mem_online_users
rss_admin_show_adv_opts
rss_article_edit
rss_suparchive
tru_tags
upm_insert_tab

The only ones I’ve changed lately are tru_tags and the chh ones , but everything looks up to snuff. Suggestions?

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#2 2007-06-12 05:14:51

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Flagged by Badware

It’s highly unlikely any of those plugins are causing problems, given most are for templating. I would imagine it’s Dreamhost that got you flagged, given the recent hacking (iframes linking to warez sites).

Plugin Dangerous?
ajw_comments_feed no, produces an XML feed
chh_article_custom no, page/article display
chh_article_lib no, used by chh plugins
chh_if_data no, page/article display
chh_related_articles no, page/article display
etz_striptags no, server side formatting
jnm_recent_comments_unique no, list of recent commenters
mem_online_users probably no, unless cookies are used.
rss_admin_show_adv_opts no, admin side
rss_article_edit no, admin side
rss_suparchive no, page/article display
tru_tags no, page display
upm_insert_tab no, admin side

Last edited by jm (2007-06-12 05:15:33)

#3 2007-06-12 11:48:04

alesh
Website

Sure enough! Dreamhost hacked. I’ve removed the offending code, which (alarm!) appears to have actually infected my computer, and the computers of countless readers.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Is it time to ditch Dreamhost?

#4 2007-06-12 17:17:47

jm
Plugin Author
Website

It’s most definitely time to ditch Dreamhost! Check out the hosts thread (I use Site5).

#5 2007-06-13 01:01:43

alesh
Website

Thanks, but — Argh!

It’s all so confusing and scary. Site5’s “$5 deal” sounds like something I’m going to regret. And just what is a “domain pointer,” anyway? One of the things Dreamhost has spoiled me about is the “unlimited domain hosting” thing — and sure enough, I can spend $10 to register a domain anytime I want and add it to my plan. Does Site5 do that? What else do I give up switching? Somebody somewhere should break all this down (relative to cost), and the hosts thread doesn’t do much more then to suggest hosts to look into.

Then there’s the frightening prospect of migrating a half a dozen websites, a number of MySQL databases, and probably thousands of files. Yikes!

#6 2007-06-13 02:15:35

jm
Plugin Author
Website

At Site5, the domain pointer is the same thing as Dreamhost’s domains – basically a subdirectory in your public_html directory. I have the Multisite Dynamite plan, which has “real” sites (like individual control panels, or integrated – sell space to clients) and domain pointers, so you have unlimited domains six times over :P. Whenever you want to add a new domain, just go to your “Backstage” and add a domain – it’s free, unless you purchase a new domain through the admin panel (~$9).

From the MultiSite page:

Kiss Domain Pointers Goodbye

Q: What is the difference between True MultiSite and the “unlimited websites/domains” I’ve seen offered elsewhere?

The “2/3/5/10/unlimited websites” offered elsewhere is almost always based on Domain Pointers, the industry standard for hosting multiple websites under one shared plan. In essence, you are being offered a certain or unlimited number of Domain Pointers rather than real websites.

Our MultiSite plans offer you a number of real, full hosting accounts under one plan. Each of your MultiSite accounts gets to use unlimited domain pointers!

For moving sites, you definitely want to reinstall any of your CMS’s, and check all index.* pages for bad code. For moving, I’d try something like this:

1. Get a Site5 account :). Don’t close your Dreamhost account yet.
  2. SSH into your Dreamhost account
  3. cd public_html (or www/whatever your visible web root is)
  4. zip -r public_html.zip * (zip up all your files)
  5. Exit Dreamhost shell when it’s done
  6. Back at Site5, enable shell access for your domain
  7. SSH into your account (yourftpuser@some IP address password = ftp user)
  8. curl -O http://yourdomain.com/public_html.zip
  9. unzip public_html

That should replace the existing public_html directory with your Dreamhost one. Now delete all the CMS indexes and files. Install Textpattern with svn export http://svn.textpattern.com/4.0/ too.

Alternatively, you can just download your Dreamhost sites, but with the command line, there’s no FTP involved, so it’s faster. For MySQL, just do database dumps and re-import. Fun stuff!

Last edited by jm (2007-06-13 02:16:19)

#7 2007-06-14 13:33:59

alesh
Website

That sounds pretty reasonable. I guess it’s time to switch — thanks for the help!

#8 2007-06-27 12:26:59

alesh
Website

By the way, everything has been cleared up on the Badware front — the Google flag got removed after a couple of days, the BadWare review took about a week.

Board footer