Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-04-20 03:29:11

nardo

comments on Reader poll: Textpattern Membership

re: http://thresholdstate.com/threshold/4311/cast-your-vote-textpattern-membership

I voted “Nothing, I’d just like to help support continued Textpattern development” – but inclusion in site list and/or swag wouldn’t be a problem

Feel that exclusive plugins, documentation, content – wouldn’t fit the spirit of this endeavour – already there is Team Textpattern-generated work, and the client has the choice whether to retain or release the plugin/mod

Do feel that additional support would be a feature worth paying for – but wonder how much time/money that would cost to set-up & maintain to be effective?

Last edited by nardo (2007-04-20 03:29:50)

#2 2007-04-20 07:30:08

lee

Re: comments on Reader poll: Textpattern Membership

My thoughts are that if you need an income in order to devote time to working on TP then maybe it’s time to take on more core developers who can give their time for free. There are already opportunity’s to make an income by way of ransoming plugins, which I believe Zem pioneered and also subscription to plugin updates which again was Zem’s idea. Turning TP into a partially commercial product feels wrong. But if it happens I’ll pay up.

Last edited by lee (2007-04-20 07:31:03)

#3 2007-04-20 07:56:06

zem
Developer Emeritus

then maybe it’s time to take on more core developers who can give their time for free

Sure. Bring them on. Ask them to send patches.

Alex

#4 2007-04-20 08:03:56

lee

If someone sends a patch does that make them part of the core team? Do they get too partake in the wider decisions, for example which patches make it into the core, that seem to be in the realm of Kursor, Mary and yourself? Please don’t get me wrong here, you guys do the business and you do it damn well.

#5 2007-04-20 08:05:18

zem
Developer Emeritus

If they’re willing to spend the time, then sure.

Alex

#6 2007-04-20 08:12:53

lee

Great, then maybe there should be an announcement, or the latest announcement could be updated, asking for new core developers – then perhaps TP can stay free for all. And those needing to make an income from TP can go the plugin/subscription route. You up for that?

#7 2007-04-20 10:03:48

zem
Developer Emeritus

Here’s how to join the core dev team: submit patches. Keep submitting them. When we can’t keep up anymore, we’ll give you svn commit access.

Alex

#8 2007-04-20 10:07:29

Neko

From my POV I wouldn’t mind a model similar to that of Expression Engine: a free downloadable “core” version and a “pro” version which costs money (by yearly subscription or license purchase) and offers more.

Last edited by Neko (2007-04-20 12:22:12)

#9 2007-04-20 10:58:25

nardo

a monthly message from Dean would be worth subscribing for!!

#10 2007-04-20 11:20:39

lee

zem wrote:

Here’s how to join the core dev team: submit patches. Keep submitting them. When we can’t keep up anymore, we’ll give you svn commit access.

Will these new core developers also be able to take part in the decision making process in the same way as yourself, Mary and Kursor – i.e be of equal standing?

If the current core team need to make money to pay for some of the time they give to TP, then why not take more developers into the core team to spread the work load?

I’m not quite getting why all of a sudden part of TP needs to become commercial, when I expect there are brilliant developers out there who might like to be part of the core team and give some of their time for free. If the likes of rudd and wilshire are not interested then I suppose I’m barking up the wrong tree again and I’ll shut up.

#11 2007-04-20 12:02:34

zem
Developer Emeritus

Will these new core developers also be able to take part in the decision making process in the same way as yourself, Mary and Kursor – i.e be of equal standing?

If they make good decisions, sure. That’s why we need to see patches.

I’m not quite getting why all of a sudden part of TP needs to become commercial

Who said part of Textpattern was becoming commercial?

when I expect there are brilliant developers out there who might like to be part of the core team and give some of their time for free.

Great! Ask them to send us some patches please.

Last edited by zem (2007-04-20 12:09:24)

Alex

#12 2007-04-20 13:15:57

squaredeye
Website

Alex,

1. I TOTALLY understand the need for income in order to support the growth of Textpattern. As a freelancer that makes sense to me more than some. :)
  2. 4.05 itself will be not be a membership upgrade from 4.04 correct? It is that 4.05 may have additional features (or some of the other things you’ve asked for votes on) that would make a subscription attractive.
  3. You’ve commented above that patches are a good way of knowing if the patcher is a good candidate for joining the dev team. Is it possible that it is upsetting to some people that the possibility for inclusion seems so arbitrary or done without a system? It doesn’t feel transparent to me personally. Not that transparency is your goal, but might I suggest that if the dev team wishes to maintain the support of some of the core players in the community, that you might develop a more systematic understanding or approach to being part of that team? In addition, I would think that the ability to patch something is only one quality of what makes a good part of a leadership team for TXP? Would you agree?

This has been a common theme for those with disagreaments with the team. The fact that the distance between the devs and the users isn’t well deliniated. It can feel foggy. I would think you could garner some serious support of your efforts if as suggested before you worked to develop a roadmap for where TXP is heading (subject to change :). It wouldn’t even need to have more than a very basic timeline (also subject to change).

Therefore:
I would formally like to request a seat on the Development Team. I would like to participate in the following ways:

1. help plan a roadmap for future releases of TXP
  2. Develop a clear framework for how the Development Team interracts with the community:
  3. Help think through the conceptual qualities of the CMS from a designer/developer point of view

I’ll submit a specific request to Team Textpattern as well.

Matthew

Board footer