Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-02-22 00:57:04

nimd4

[wiki] XAMPP (Installer Version) for Windows ERROR

The page @

http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=XAMPP_(Installer_Version)_for_Windows

states: “This doc is outdated, no longer supported, and marked for deletion.”

…the new page @

http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Using_XAMPP_(Apache-MySQL-PHP-Perl)_for_Windows

however, does NOT contain IMPORTANT firewall information about limiting the scope to locahost only (as not to be accessed from the internet, if using XAMPP for local testing only!)

“* If you are online (but still only doing development) and have a Windows Firewall running, then you also are reasonably safe and do not need to take steps to make everything secure. However, in this case you should make the following configuration changes in your Windows Firewall, because by default all the XAMPP services and process are added to the firewall as unblocked, i.e., the “Any computer (including those on the internet)” is selected as having access to the components:

1. Go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions (tab). 2. Select a given XAMPP component in the list, then click Edit 3. Then click Change Scope. 4. Then change it to “My Network (subnet only)”.”

This must be corrected in the new version, I am sure you will agree.

Regards,
Vladimir

Last edited by nimd4 (2007-02-22 00:57:59)

#2 2007-02-22 06:47:44

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: [wiki] XAMPP (Installer Version) for Windows ERROR

Well without having reading myself through the whole document, it says somewhere in a section called
Installation Considerations:

Warning: Using a local install of XAMPP as a production server with access to the Internet is a very bad idea (unless you simply enjoy endless fighting with people trying to hack into your system). Use XAMPP as a local development server only! Also keep in …

The important thing to remember, however is not to use it as a Production or Staging environment, by giving httpd.conf any other IP, than localhost .
The Apache conf ships like that by default anyway.

I don’t know much about the windows firewall ( I’m not using any one of those )
But I think it would be a little off-topic to describe Firewall Settings on windows platforms on a CMS documentation Site.
There’s plenty of resources out there including the appachefriends.org Site .

You can however request a WIKI login, if you want to add of correct something ( From the admins )

What I would suggest though for these kind of documents, is to provide short simple steps, without going into too much details.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2007-09-13 04:39:23

mrtunes
Website

marios wrote:

I don’t know much about the windows firewall ( I’m not using any one of those )
But I think it would be a little off-topic to describe Firewall Settings on windows platforms on a CMS documentation Site.
There’s plenty of resources out there including the appachefriends.org Site

imo not enough documentation. since it’s a very important procedure for textpattern users i would love to see this topic continually addressed. currently i’m having a hard time starting apache in the xampp control panel, mysql starts no problem but apache just hangs and says busy. i’ve looked at the faqs and tried all the firewall exceptions and turning the fw off itself to no avail. i’m all ears. thanks!

#4 2007-09-13 20:40:22

hakjoon
Website

XAMPP is not really a TXP issue IMO. Problems with XAMPP installs should be addressed by XAMPP. Running it is in no way a requirement for local TXP development on windows.

That being said you are welcome to keep the XAMPP docs up to date if you want to. I am currently still locked out of the login page so I can’t create new accounts but I can do it once Fillip gets that working again.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#5 2009-07-15 14:32:22

music-escapes
Website

What are you using xampp for? if its for local testing, what/why are you worried about the firewall? If you are at home, sit behind a router, i woudln’t be too worried about packet sniffers

Board footer