Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2007-02-08 19:03:13

maniqui
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] zem_event [flexible integrated event management]

Zanza wrote:

Is there a way to let user subscribe to events? Maybe a (modified?) comment function?

It would be great to add this capability for at least two scenarios:

1. Live events like conferences or courses, where the room seats are limited and you want to be sure do assign seats to registered users first.
  2. If events are used for exams, students may subscribe to exam by commenting.

Why will you need a (modified) comment function?

You can do it with the current comment function. Just simple do not display the user comment on the front end and voilà!
You have a “subscribe to event” form in the shape of a comment form.
The problem may be the preview…

If you want something more “difficult”, you can try with the Postmaster plug-in for subscribing users in a separate database table. You can create one list for each event.
Also, then, you can use the Postmaster plug-in to easily contact your event subscribers so you can notify them about the event details.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#98 2007-02-08 19:11:01

WebKat

I just went to add a new event and I am getting this error (which didn’t appear when I entered previous events) Notice: Unable to save event in /home/vhosts/tucsonirishcommunity/www/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(512) : eval()'d code on line 1549

WebKat

#99 2007-02-08 19:11:39

WebKat

renobird: thanks for the tip!

WebKat

#100 2007-02-08 23:20:43

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

Zanza wrote:

Is there a way to let user subscribe to events? Maybe a (modified?) comment function?

Why will you need a (modified) comment function? You can do it with the current comment function. Just simple do not display the user comment on the front end and voilà! You have a “subscribe to event” form in the shape of a comment form.
The problem may be the preview…

Yes, the problem may be the preview. And the fact that you can’t have the normal comments for the event PLUS a subscribing form. More than this, it seems like a natural “extension” of an event plugin to have a subscribing capability.

If you want something more “difficult”, you can try with the Postmaster plug-in for subscribing users in a separate database table. You can create one list for each event.

This may be a solution. But the Postmaster has the problem of no customizing mails sent to the users (problem due to ZCR plugin on which it relies). Other than this, if I don’t need to send email, I have to create lists for nothing… a bit clumsy, but viable.

The subscribing issue could be useful in a third scenario, that has nothing to do with zem_event (reason why I also thought of a separate plugin): for online petitions.

But petitions, they could actually be addressed by Postmaster, I suppose.

Need to do some try about it, anyway, to explore existing possibilities. No point to have a plugin for things that can already be accomplished… Thank for your ideas!

Z-

#101 2007-02-08 23:44:08

nardo

Opalcat – re: having month appear twice (from calendar and calendar nav tags) … have a look at the generated source code from your web page – use CSS to hide the one you want hidden (display:none) … you can do quite a bit of customisation of the look of it with CSS

Last edited by nardo (2007-02-09 23:35:43)

#102 2007-02-08 23:48:24

nardo

#103 2007-02-10 00:50:15

nardo

this is a powerful plugin for any content that is restricted by date – and you could have several content types that benefit from this functionality on a site – e.g. events; employment ads; meeting dates with associated agenda & minutes files; public notices that appear at certain intervals or for a limited time

at the moment zem_event_list ouputs ALL ‘event articles’

feature suggestion – ability to filter ‘event articles’ by section … e.g. <txp:zem_event_list section="employment" form="zem_employment_display" /> or <txp:zem_event_list this_section=1 form="zem_employment_display" />

right now you can call ‘event articles’ within a section from the txp:article tag which filters for the current section -

in /employment page template: <txp:article form="zem_employment_article">

form zem_employment_article contains <txp:zem_article_event> general zem_event tags to format the employment ad </txp:zem_article_event>

just employment ads are output

another workaround might be to give all employment ads an event category of employment then use <txp:zem_event_list category="employment" form="zem_employment_display" />

but this adds employment to the category list on the ‘events’ page

so far so good, but

1. on the site’s ‘events’ section, the calendar shows employment ads alongside events – maybe calendar tags could also take the section attribute
  2. search results also show ‘article events’ from all sections (employment ads alongside events) but if zem_event_list had a section attribute, that’d allow you to show only ‘employment event articles’ when providing a search tool for that area

#104 2007-02-10 02:42:27

maniqui
Website

hi nardo.
I haven’t tested this plug-in yet, and I’m not sure if what I’m going to say is right or not:
maybe you can do some magic with txp_if_article_section like:

<txp:if_article_section>
here the tags
<txp:else />
</txp:if_article_section>

Last edited by maniqui (2007-02-10 03:39:09)

#105 2007-02-10 03:26:22

nardo

that’s a good idea – had some problems with that tag in a form called from zem_event_list, have to investigate further … but realised that for search results, could just use an article tag + searchall=0 to ensure listed events are from the current section

drawback with using the txp:article tag… doesn’t sort the events as well as zem_event_list – sorting on ‘posted’ rather than event time

#106 2007-02-10 03:44:05

nardo

maniqui – it does work! went back to basics…

on /events page, using <txp:zem_event_list /> calling default form zem_event_display

that form has <txp:if_article_section name="event"> ... zem_event_tags ... <txp:else /></txp:if_article_section>

works great for event lists, event category lists & event search results

PS also takes care of the calendar display – add if_article_section conditional to zem_event_cal_entry form

Last edited by nardo (2007-02-10 03:50:18)

#107 2007-02-10 03:49:38

maniqui
Website

Good to know it works.
I think that you can even remove the txp:else if you’re using that form just for that article section. But, again, not totally sure!

#108 2007-02-10 11:16:48

squaredeye
Website

Nardo,
WOuld you still like me to add that as a feature suggestion or is it not needed now?

Opalcat,
did you get the next/prev thing figured out? Its not a hard change in the PHP.

I can make the change in the plugin code, but don’t know how to compile it. Or rather, don’t have time to try to learn now as we just had baby no. 2 and we’re trying to sleep more.

Matthew

Last edited by ma_smith (2007-02-10 11:17:55)

Board footer