Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-01-15 21:41:55

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

[plugin] [ORPHAN] pnh_mf :: microformat tags

I’ve just released a plugin that adds a number of tags to aid in including properly marked up microformats in your page templates and posts.

Microformats, if you haven’t encountered them, are a collection of defined ways of using the XHTML tags and attributes you have always used in order to model data in a way that can be picked up and interpreted by a variety of tools (like saving vcards for importing them into other applications).

Tags included in the current version of this plugin:

• txp:pnh_mf_xfn
  • txp:pnh_mf_hcard
  • txp:pnh_mf_adr
  • txp:pnh_mf_hcalendar
  • txp:pnh_mf_hreview
  • txp:pnh_mf_tag
  • txp:pnh_mf_license
  • txp:pnh_mf_geo

All of these tags can be used in either templates (‘pages’), snippets (‘forms’) or in article bodies, but cannot be used in comments. Unless otherwise stated, all attributes for each tag have been shown in the example usage found in the documentation.

Documentation and download for pnh_mf

Changelog:
  • v1.2 – Released 3/18/2007 – Made compatible with Textpattern 1.0.4
  • v1.0 – Released 6/25/2006 – Added support for the hReview microformat and made some minor bug fixies to hCard and elsewhere.
  • v0.8 – 1/23/2006 – Includes new admin side ‘Useful Tags’ helpers and some minor bug fixes.
  • v0.5 – 1/15/2006 – first public release

Last edited by placenamehere (2007-03-18 21:43:22)

Site: placenamehere.com
Microformat Plugin: pnh_mf

#2 2006-01-23 21:53:48

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] pnh_mf :: microformat tags

I just posted an update that includes some adming side popup tag helpers making this much more useful.

Now you don’t have to remember all the different properties you can use, just hit the familliar style link under ‘Useful Tags’ and fill out the information you want to include and hit build.

Also, still looking for feedback — right now I’m very curious about install issues as well as changes you might want to see in the markup used for each format.

#3 2006-01-28 19:45:10

soulship
Website

Thanks for the update. I have just started playing with this. Very intriguing….

#4 2006-03-31 22:22:28

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’m curious if anyone is using this?

I’m putting an update on my radar — fixing a bug or two and working on refining the tag editor UI a bit and was wondering if anyone had any input at this point.

thanks

#5 2006-04-01 01:57:14

squaredeye
Website

Placenamehere,
I think I’ll pick this up and check it out.
I’ve been told this is the way to go, but I have yet to understand the full weight of microformats. I seem to recall some article or two about it over at hicksdesign, but I haven’t really owned it for my self yet?

:)

Matthew

#6 2006-04-02 02:08:01

soulship
Website

I have used this on a site for someone so I would definitely like the updates whenever you have them. And thanks for the work :)

#7 2006-04-02 14:40:00

segfault
Plugin Author
Website

Yeah Chris,

I have been using it at my personal site. Good work on the uF mailing list, by the way.

“A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

#8 2006-06-26 00:01:56

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve just uploaded version 1.0 of this plugin… the key change being added support for the hReview microformat for posting reviews of events, businesses and products.

Aside from bug fixes or small usability related tweaks, this will be the last release until I can find time to work on enhancing textpattern’s built in tag builder and make some of the input forms more flexible.

As always feedback is appreciated!

#9 2006-06-28 23:06:39

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I just stumbled upon this on textpattern.org. I am a big fan of the MF principles and look forward to implementing them in future sites! Thanks a lot for this plugin!!

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

#10 2006-09-05 20:42:14

merz1
Website

This microformat plug-in is just what I was looking for today. I will test it in a minute :-)

If somebody is interested in getting some info about microformats … I have been writing two basic articles in the last two days for performancing.com.

Please excuse the self-promotion but I think it is topic relevant as many people don’t get the really nice and simple approach of microformats.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#11 2006-09-06 11:50:03

TNT
Website

I’m just beginning to understand the power of these microformats and I definitely want to use them where it can make my life easier. So I have a question.

I would like to use the <code>geo-microformat</code> for a travel website I’m building, so visitors can see where the travellers are. I know I can use custom fields to define the <code>lat</code> and <code>lon</code>, so there’s no problem. The question is how I can make a link to – let’s say – a GoogleMap, which immediately displays the right position on the map.

I found a blog where this is done (Rasterweb), but I’m to much of a n00b to find out how he got it done.

Prrrrrrrr

#12 2006-09-06 12:20:57

merz1
Website

Beside that this is far from the thread … You have to insert the lat and lon custom field values as parameters (customer field tags) into a Google Map link. Many different map services accept geo-coordinates.

Look at the links at Google Map or check the help.

The same is possible with hCard address dates if formatted the way Google Maps expects them. Which brings me back to the thread …

Regarding the plug-in I think it’s the wrong approach to work with a fixed total output. It would be much better to have single tags for every value. That way it would be possible to arrange the content as you want it to appear on the page.

For me, right now, it is easier to create the content by hand … from a tested text template of course. The next step will be to have some i.e address database which will produce reports in the wanted hCard style.

Looking for an address book plug-in Are there good address book extensions for TXP which will provide a tag for every address field? I would really love to produce address outputs in hCard style in a Yellow Pages style.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

Board footer