Textpattern Forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2006-05-22 23:47:53

rloaderro
Plugin Author
Website

Re: aro_slideshow

lee wrote:

A suggestion if you decide to add to it: A custom field to specify an image category would be useful.

hi Lee! I added a category attribute to the plugin – you can now use it independantly of the article form (in a page template or misc form for example) with this new attribute! Let me know if there are any problems…

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

#22 2006-05-23 05:28:09

mrdale
Website

Works, Yay! Thanks for the great work.

Category attribute is great. I’m starting to get excited about possibilities for this plugin.

• Idea: Why not use a different tag altogether for the article-less version, then have it accept categories category from the url.
  • Idea2: How about attributes to display title and caption fields?

Cool!

#23 2006-05-24 00:48:40

mstark71

Sorry, if this is just too stupid to respond to. I just installed the plugin. Now I am in the ‘write’ tab in content. How can I get the slideshow to work in a new article?

Thanks,

m

#24 2006-05-24 18:57:31

rloaderro
Plugin Author
Website

mstark71 wrote:

Sorry, if this is just too stupid to respond to. I just installed the plugin. Now I am in the ‘write’ tab in content. How can I get the slideshow to work in a new article?

The slideshow tag must be called from within a page or form template (presentation > page or presentation > form). If it will be article-dependant you must use it in the form that displays the article content — if you have not defined any custom forms it will be the one named default. Simply add the slideshow tag: <txp:aro_slideshow js="2" /> — somewhere in the form. But that’s not all — in the article itself, in the field named article_image (under advanced options) you must enter a list of image ID’s to display. To find the image ID (and this is somewhat un-intuitive) go to the tab content > images and click on the link named textpattern next to the image in the image list that you would like to appear in the slideshow. A window should popup with some text like: <txp:image id="10" /> — that 10 is the image ID. So what you need to do is add a list of image ID’s, separated by commas, to that article_image field — something like: 10,11,12. And the slideshow should appear now. I haven’t mentioned it anywhere else, but to work as intended, all the images must be the same size!

If you would like to use the slideshow in a page template — in other words it will not be associated with any one article — you must associate it with an image category. In the content > organize tab you must create some image categories. Then in the content > images tab you must associate some of your images with those categories. Then, from within a page or form template, you call the slideshow tag as follows: <txp:aro_slideshow category="your_image_category_name_here" js="2" /> — and that’s it!

Good luck!

#25 2006-05-30 13:48:50

aesop1
Plugin Author

Great plugin—one issue, however: when viewing the slideshow in Internet Explorer 6 (Win), the slideshow animation will “blink” briefly to the previous image just following the transition. I am using the XHTML transitional 1.0 doctype (does this make a difference for the plugin).

Anyone else encounter this phenomenon and if so, did you manage to solve it? If so, how?

-Matt

Last edited by aesop1 (2006-05-30 13:54:47)

#26 2006-05-30 14:47:31

rloaderro
Plugin Author
Website

aesop1 wrote:

Great plugin—one issue, however: when viewing the slideshow in Internet Explorer 6 (Win), the slideshow animation will “blink” briefly to the previous image just following the transition. I am using the XHTML transitional 1.0 doctype (does this make a difference for the plugin).

The javascript used by the plugin does actually require a strict doctype (xhtml 1.0 strict or xhtml 1.1) however I did not notice any effects such as you describe using it with a transitional doctype which is why I only recommended using a strict one (in the notes at the top of this thread). But I cannot say for sure I tested it on iex with transtional, and definitely not with the plugin as it is released here. Can anyone else verify this?

#27 2006-05-30 21:58:37

aesop1
Plugin Author

Okay, so I got the plugin to work with IE after removing the “js=1” and “js=2” attributes, but now it isn’t working with Firefox (showing just the first image statically).

I am using the <code><txp:aro_slideshow category=“image_category_name” /></code> version of the tag. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

#28 2006-05-30 22:06:36

rloaderro
Plugin Author
Website

aesop1 wrote:

Okay, so I got the plugin to work with IE after removing the “js=1” and “js=2” attributes, but now it isn’t working with Firefox (showing just the first image statically).

In order to use the plugin without the js attribute you must have all the Javascript code linked externally – have you done that?

Last edited by rloaderro (2006-05-30 22:08:03)

#29 2006-05-30 22:30:42

aesop1
Plugin Author

Affirmative . . . within the head of the page:

<code><script type=“text/javascript” src=”<txp:site_url />slideshow.js”></script>
<script type=“text/javascript” src=”<txp:site_url />prototype.lite.js”></script>
<script type=“text/javascript” src=”<txp:site_url>moo.fx.js”></script></code>

Still works well in IE, but Firefox only shows the first image.

-Matt

Last edited by aesop1 (2006-05-30 22:31:09)

#30 2006-05-30 22:37:40

rloaderro
Plugin Author
Website

aesop1 wrote:

Affirmative . . . within the head of the page:

<code><script type=“text/javascript” src=”<txp:site_url />slideshow.js”></script>
<script type=“text/javascript” src=”<txp:site_url />prototype.lite.js”></script>
<script type=“text/javascript” src=”<txp:site_url>moo.fx.js”></script></code>

I think I see the problem – and this is definitely my own fault from my bad examples. The slideshow.js actually contains all the code that you need. Using the other libraries might be causing the conflicts. The idea was that with slideshow.js you don’t need anything else. It contains the slideshow function + cut-down versions of the moo.fx and prototype.lite libraries. If you wanted to use some of the other effects available in the libraries (requires a bit of Javascript knowledge) or even if you already were, then you would link to those libraries as you have done, but not the slideshow.js – instead you would call the plugin with the js="1" option. I hope it is a little clearer now. Try linking to just the slideshow.js and calling the plugin as you are and see if that solves your problem…

Board footer