Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2006-02-07 04:52:55

neptho

Re: asy_jpcache 0.9.8 - Fast Full Page Caching

Wow, I’ve been beaten by a long shot. I was just checking to see if anyone else was working on adding jpcache or a similar caching system to Textpattern – as I ended up modling jpcache for myself, I figured it’d be semi-trivial to add to Textpattern as well.. I forgot how static my system was.

I’ve taken a look at this and updated the admin side plugin, but I still can’t seem to get it to work, at all. Even with a few modifications to 0.9.8, I get the ‘X-Cache: asy_jpcache -’ header, and then it dies, not reporting a version number, or anything, observe:

HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: mysite.dur

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 04:42:03 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Cache: asy_jpcache -
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

Sencer: I added this to the very head of your cache plugin to ensure that it had both the globals, and the cache (from within index.php):

// Trivial modification by ssh to keep from hacking the root index.php if ( txpinterface == ‘public’ && !in_array ($_SERVER[“REQUEST_URI”], array(‘/&’)) ) { include_once( $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]."/textpattern/config.php" ); include_once( $_SERVER[“DOCUMENT_ROOT”].”/jpcache/jpcache.php” ); }

// I stole plenty of code from zem. Don’t tell him! ;)

I’ll take another look into it, but I’m guessing that it’s still having problems loading it’s locals. Since I’m forcing it to have the globals available, I assume $path_to_site and other variables are exposed? (Yeah, it’ll take two seconds to find out, I know, I know..)

#50 2006-04-09 06:27:59

maniqui
Website

Hi,

this nice plug-in is generating very big files in the cache.
I have found 3 o 4 files about 6MB.
I would say that it’s caching the files to download (mp3 in this case), but I cant confirm that those large files are related to the mp3 files.
I have tried to download one of this big cached files and rename it with .mp3 extension, but it doesnt play in my media player.

So, I cant conclude that those cached files are the .mp3, but I would like to avoid them, because I dont have enough space at my hosting.

Sencer, do you think it’s possible?

BTW: i’m using bas_emff plug-in to stream mp3s (and also have links to files with the TXP capabilities), could that be related to this problem?

thanks in advance.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#51 2006-04-09 07:45:18

maniqui
Website

Yes, I can confirm that every time I push play in the bas_emff (a plug-in for mp3 streaming with flash) a 6MB file (corresponding with the size of the mp3 file) is generated in the cache.

is it possible to avoid that?
thanks.

#52 2006-04-09 11:02:14

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

maniqui wrote:

this nice plug-in is generating very big files in the cache. I have tried to download one of this big cached files and rename it with .mp3 extension, but it doesnt play in my media player.

Yes, it’s probably the m3-files plus some additional meta-data, which is why you cannot simply rename it to have your original file back.

Sencer, do you think it’s possible?

Yes, file_downloads are are not cached for the same reason. You’ll have to search the jpcache files and check where it prevents the file-download, and then extend the code to the same for the plugin you are using – it must be recognizable via the url (usually via an event-variable).

#53 2006-04-09 14:57:30

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Actually, the plugin already uses regular file-downloads for streaming… menaing it should not have been problem

I guess you are using non-english language, correct?

bas_emff uses hu.gTxt('file_download').'/'.$thisfile['id']; to link to downloads. While this does work, those are not the urls generated by default. By default download always use “file_download” (not the localized string).

I think the easiest thing to do is, open the bas_emff plugin and replace the following line:

hu.gTxt('file_download').'/'.$thisfile['id'];

with

hu.'file_download'.'/'.$thisfile['id'];

#54 2006-04-09 16:58:23

maniqui
Website

Hi Sencer,
thanks for your quick reply.

I have applied the line change in bas_emff, you suggested, but it didnt work: files are still being cached as big files with jpcache.
And you’re right, i’m using a non-english language (spanish).

The output code:
<code>
<object type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” data=“http://www.mysite.com/file_download/8?src=http://www.mysite.com/file_download/5” width=“110” height=“34”>
<param name=“movie” value=“http://www.mysite.com/file_download/8?src=http://www.mysite.com/file_download/5” />
</object>
</code>

Sencer wrote:

You’ll have to search the jpcache files and check where it prevents the file-download, and then extend the code to the same for the plugin you are using – it must be recognizable via the url (usually via an event-variable).

Sorry, dont know how to do that! I have looked at jpcache .php files and I found a chunk about file_donwload, but really dont know what I have to do.

I will point Bastian (the plug-in author) to this thread, maybe he can help too.

thanks, and any other advice would be appreciated.

#55 2006-04-09 17:08:55

maniqui
Website

Oh!
I have found something:

Big files are also being cached when I click in the direct download link (i mean, the /file_download/file_id link).
So, this doesnt seem to be a problem only with bas_emff.

To generate the direct download link, I use upm_file_packets plug-in.
So, it’s affecting both bas_emff and upm_file_packets and in the second case, the generated link is a common TXP link to a file.

#56 2006-04-09 17:53:44

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Yes, I can confirm the problem. It’ll be a while before I can troubleshoot. My suggestion would be to deactive the plugin in the meantime (i.e. by removing or commenting out the line in index.php).

Last edited by Sencer (2006-04-09 17:54:23)

#57 2006-04-09 18:38:54

maniqui
Website

I will deactive jpcache in the meanwhile.

If you release a new version, dont forget to add this fix

Thanks again, Sencer.

#58 2006-06-13 16:24:19

Jordan

Help me, please. Where I can look log-file debug this plugin? Sorry for my English.

Last edited by Jordan (2006-06-13 16:24:56)

#59 2006-06-13 16:31:50

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

For debuging, you need to watch the HTTP Headers. I recommend Ethereal, or if you are on firefox, you can try the extenion: “tamper data”.

#60 2006-06-13 18:17:49

Jordan

Thank you very very much! I like your plugin, and try understand how it adjust configuration. I have a little problem with this, but I shall try again. Thank you once again!

Board footer