Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#241 2006-03-24 16:09:59

jtlapp
Website

Re: [feedback] How to bring txp back on track ? Let's debate !

Sencer wrote:

you (effectively) say that Textpattern could be made simpler by writing it in OO

Sorry, didn’t mean to imply that. In #235 I said that I’ve only seen comment.php and little else, though I did suggest that comment.php was a little more convoluted than I would have liked.

In my post that resurrected this thread, I was suggesting that we not strive for success in the likes of WordPress (as some in this thread have suggested), since that would mean changing TXP’s target audience from web designers to end users and potentially losing TXP’s reputation and niche.

As an aside in that post I mentioned that bBlog actually seemed to cater to OO PHP developers and consequently was barely surviving. I had an inkling that I shouldn’t have thrown that in. Oh well.

#242 2006-03-25 05:58:09

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Txp’s target is end-users (see front page of Txp.com).

#243 2006-03-25 19:13:42

jtlapp
Website

I have to admit, the more of txp I see, the more impressed I am with how simple it makes the tag extensions. I cringe a bit at the namespace pollution, but I’m pretty happy about not having to create an object every time I want to do something.

Interesting how this conversation has focused my understanding of the value of OOP. I’m now thinking that the primary benefit of OOP is its ability to factor out behavior into subclass-overridable methods, allowing for simple customization, variation, and reuse. Function callbacks do the trick for singleton components, but if you need a common interface to multiple components of varying behavior, I don’t think you can beat OOP (of course you could do that with callbacks, but I don’t think it would be very pretty).

So I think I could buy into the OOP-isn’t-always-best philosophy. Can we be friends now? ;o)

Mary, on the subject of target audience, it’s my impression that TXP in practice caters more to web designers than to average users; you get more bells and whistles out-of-the-box with WordPress, but you have far more control over presentation with TXP. That’s why I aborted a WordPress stint and am now using TXP pretty happily. It also seems to fit my experience that every time I come across an amazingly gorgeous weblog, I scroll down to the bottom to see that it was done with TXP (and likely a custom job).

I’m just saying that if we acknowledge this and focus on web designers, we need not think of WordPress as a threat. And BTW, this web designer would much prefer being able to design the whole site in files and to simply FTP a file up every time I mod something — all this cut-and-paste makes me jittery about accidental overwrites. Maybe a mode: build from database or build from files?

#244 2006-04-21 07:15:04

mungy

For years I have looked for a CMS that is usable and not full of stuff I’ll never use. At first I just wanted one that did everything. When I first found Textpattern, I thought it was just a blog thing and so dismissed it. Earlier this year I found it again and looked at it properly. It is exactly what I was looking for all that time.

So a big thank you to all those who have made TXP what it is today, and may it continue to develop for years to come.

Board footer