Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-03-02 05:01:26

squaredeye
Website

Improving TXP Image Management

There are a number of us collecting information about Textpattern’s image handling and how it might improve. Hakjoon, started a thread on this at the textbook here . One of the things I am trying to pull together is a “screenshotted” list of how other systems are handling image upload and post from their “write” tab. Thus far I have documented bloggers.

I am interested in getting folks feedback on this issue. Please follow the following guidelines in posting to this thread.

I use photos in my
  • personal blog in the following manner
  • client sites in the following manner
  • to create image galleries on this kind of site
These are what I think are limitations in the current TXP system of handling/posting images
  • limitation one
  • limitation two
  • limitation three
I would like to see the following functionality
  • upload from write tab (detailed explanation) with graphic if possible?
  • implimentation of the kind of functionality found in Mary’s/Hakjoon’s img_popper plugin
    • with an additional place to set my cup (cupholder) :)
I would like to help think through the implications of such functionality in this way
  • cheerleading squad
  • round of drinks for people who give a crap

Or something close to that:

Thanks everyone,

Matthew

#2 2006-03-02 07:36:21

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Improving TXP Image Management

I’ve added some screenshots of the Pivotlog procedure.

Last edited by wet (2006-03-02 07:49:27)

#3 2006-03-02 08:04:49

alexandra

Hi Matthew,
for WP you can contact Natalie. As far as i know, she works with TXP and WP and did write about the image issue already.

#4 2006-03-02 14:13:15

squaredeye
Website

Wet,
Good one. Thanks for that. There are some powerful features in there.
The bit about the non-css styling stinks. I use a webgui interface at work and its the same. Its made by plain black Its powerful, but can be cumbersome too. Hmm.

Alexandra, Thanks for pointing me toward Natalie. I’ve written her, so we’ll see if she responds. :)

#5 2006-03-02 14:19:20

alexandra

> ma_smith wrote:

> Alexandra, Thanks for pointing me toward Natalie. I’ve written her, so we’ll see if she responds.

If she does not respond, we have a german, who uses WP and TXP as well. If Natalie does not have the time we can ask him. Just let me know and i make the contact.

Any Modx sceenshots requested as well? We should have some people here who can do that.

#6 2006-03-02 14:28:31

squaredeye
Website

Alex,
Absolutely. Bring on the ModX. The main goal for starting that part of the image handling thread was to see how all kinds of people/systems do it so that there might be some wisdom in an approach to changing the way TXP does it? If we do at all ( I am sure there will be at least minor changes )

The portion I have contributed to thusfar is this image upload and post scenario. You’ll notice DavidM posted about changing the image tag into a tag more like the article tags, giving it display options, navigation options, form options, etc. Great idea! Mee thinks. So there’s a lot to think through. I’m not a very good solo thinker, although sometimes I daydream about being jack bauer .

Cheers for the help.

Matthew

#7 2006-03-02 15:31:57

squaredeye
Website

Check out natalie’s post on the issue here

I’ll be adding a few of her suggestions to the WIKI.

M

#8 2006-03-02 15:54:20

neutrino
Website

Preferred method for uploading images (and your end users)

Uploading the users. Now I like that. That’s one way to get them to come face 2 face with technology. LOL. Just kidding, Matthew. I’m with you here. There’s got to be a better way to handle images in TXP, bottom line.

@Alex

Offtopic: This might be too much to ask but is it possible to have a forum for “other software”. I know that we have Textpatter but I always thought that that forum should be mainly geared toward TXP and lots of us use lots of different tools and webhosts. For example Dreamhost just announced a new easy database rollback feature. What made me think about this was your request for Modx images. I haven’t yet had a chance to explore that part of ModX so I won’t be much help but if we had that forum we could ask . . . just a thought, I don’t know what folks comfort zones are like when it comes to “too much”.

#9 2006-03-02 16:52:31

alexandra

@neutrino

i like the idea opening up a forum section for ‘other software’. I estimate a third of all posts here in textpattern is about ‘other software’. But ‘other software’ sounds not well. How about ‘related software’? Or do you have a better wording?

As Sencer is just online i quickly drop him an email pointing him to your question.

#10 2006-03-02 16:59:43

neutrino
Website

o sure Alex, whatever you think is best. Could even be “Tools and Rules” since there are always debates that go along with the usability and compatability of using different tools together. That forum could be a place to stash both sides of the technology equation — the tool itself and teh philosphy behind its use. Tools alone would be just fine, too. Whatever . . .

#11 2006-03-02 19:42:25

alexandra

@Matthew
send sceenshots of MODx via email to you

#12 2006-03-02 19:50:59

squaredeye
Website

Alex,
Thanks, I will add them to the WIKI.
A lot of image editors use inline styling rather than classes for styling.
ModX, Pivot, and others. I wonder what people think of that? Its not real standards based, but maybe that’s less of an issue than I think it is.

I talked to Patrick (Hakjoon) about incorporating images (buttons) for styles that would give an image a .left for float : left and (margin: auto for center and .right float right for upm_img_popper, and I think he may incorporate them?

What do you all think about the inline stuff?

M

Board footer