Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-02-22 19:20:40

FJZone

Technorati, TXP and Feedburner

Hi all!

A new Textpattern user, I am in the habit of having my feeds “burnt” by FeedBurner, meaning I distribute a FeedBurner URL instead of my feed’s real URL. I followed the instructions posted on this forum to implement both the correct auto-detect and redirects on my Textpattern installation so that new users are automatically redirected to these feeds.

I noticed however that, for the brief while I left Textpattern ping Ping-o-matic as well as Textpattern.com by itself, a lot of traffic started coming to my site from blog directories and associated sites. Upon turning off this feature for fear it would broadcase the “direct” URL instead of the FeedBurner URL, posts drew significantly less “new” traffic — which, I realize is not necessarily a bad thing.

I was however wondering what Textpatern was doing to ping sites that would cause it to be immediately noticed by services such as Technorati and whether this feature could be adapted to my using Feedburner.

Looking forwards to hearing your thoughts,
FJ

#2 2006-02-22 22:30:29

zem
Developer Emeritus

Re: Technorati, TXP and Feedburner

When Textpattern pings ping-o-matic, it sends the direct RSS url.

A quick question: what’s the advantage of using FeedBurner?

Alex

#3 2006-02-23 00:51:23

nardo

I’m using feedburner to generate ‘podcast’ feeds, plus you get some stats on subscription numbers

#4 2006-02-23 03:06:33

NeilA
Website

Same here. Very easy to create podcast feeds… ;-)

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#5 2006-02-23 09:24:36

FJZone

> zem wrote:

> When Textpattern pings ping-o-matic, it sends the direct RSS url.

> A quick question: what’s the advantage of using FeedBurner?

Thanks for your reply!

FeedBurner provides me with statistics and makes it somehow easier to migrate blog platforms without having to send new URLs to every subscriber. Also, as other members mentioned, it makes it easy to turn a feed into a podcasting feed.

Is there a way to tweak TextPattern (lightly, of course, I do not want to damage anything) so that it sends the FeedBurner URL when pinging?

Thanks,
FJ

Board footer