Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2005-06-22 03:46:06

creativesplash
Website

Re: TXP Template Contest : Starting a Pledge ! Will you sign up ?

Have you finalised the name of the contest?

IDEA: TextZine [Textpattern+Dzine]

[Just an idea]

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#74 2005-06-22 04:35:04

kennethlove666
Website

As one of the backers of using the default template, I have no problems adding in more text-level hooks (cites, blockquotes, headers, etc). My only object is with adding in spans and divs that don’t exist in the default install.

The reason I’m OK with the text one is that they’re things easily added by even a novice user (so long as they can write an email, they can make Textpattern use those elements). The markup additions to layout (divs, spans, etc.) aren’t that apparent.

And I’ll also put forward doing this whether we get 25 or not, and whether is a contest or not. So long as a design is judged to be good enough (much like the Zen Garden is done), it gets shown. We need to steal the style-switching approach, too, btw. Click a link, see the new style. Yum.

Listen to Kenneth

#75 2005-06-22 07:12:42

Jaro

> valdok wrote:

> I’ll do it. But I can tell you right now, I don’t really care if it works in IE. :)

That’s a bad attitude. If you don’t care about IE than you don’t care about 80% of the internet users. Would you like to use a template which doesn’t work in IE?

#76 2005-06-22 07:58:57

Niconemo

Here I am too. :-)

Well… now I have to find some time to read that whole thread and… to make a Template according to it.
:-D

Nico

#77 2005-06-22 10:04:10

davidm

<strong>@kibitzer</strong> : Wowww, :blush: And nice french by the way :)

<strong>@thebombsite</strong> : Agreed about the style switcher, and the one place to host all entries (the now agreed upon TextGarden). Thanks for your proposal about hosting, I wouldn’t be against it :) About not being a designer, I wouldn’ think it should be a condition : I am not one myself ! I am a padawan, not a master ;) I’ll just do my best to create a usable template, and try to make it look decent :)

<strong>@marios and bizartist</strong> : You’re losing me there (maybe because I went to bed after the Pistons vs Spurs match at 6 a.m this morning, glad the Pistons did it !), I did not dig into the Zen Garden thing, and I am afraid I’ll have to rely on you both to integrate this to the rules :-) I think I’ll take 2 minutes to set up a Wiki page with something light like TiddlyWiki on my space to have an editable rule page, might be more convenient.

<strong>@creativesplash</strong> : I think TextGarden has the favors of all here, sounds nice and TextZine might confuse people with Alexandra’s txpmagazine. But of course, this is still open for debate !

<strong>@michaelkpate</strong> : I like the idea of having a new default page :)

<strong>@kenneth</strong> : I very much agree about the do it even if we don’t reach 25 or it doesn’t make it to a contest, I was beginning to think about this, since the ball is rolling pretty well and I am amazed by the momentum we have picked :-)) About the div/span thing vs inline elements, I pretty much agree, once again a good point

<strong>@niconemo</strong> : Well, that’s nice to have another french here :-) Bienvenue ! Well true, this thread is starting to be quite long… and hard to get all the elements in one take. One more reason for me to set up a Contest Rules wiki page for you all to edit. I’ll do that in a few minutes, in fact.

And I think the style switcher is pretty much agreed upon now. Indeed copy and paste should not be hard, but if we don’t limit ourselves to CSS, how do we build a pages & forms switcher on the contest website ? Unless we collectively come up with a default pages & forms combo of our own, and everybody works from there, I am not sure how we can achieve this…

Last edited by davidm (2005-06-22 10:07:40)

.: Retired :.

#78 2005-06-22 12:30:30

davidm

OK guys, now we can start working more easily on the collective writing : I’ve set up a Wiki at this adress :
http://www.david-molliere.net/textgarden/wiki?Home

For the moment, I just copied/pasted the draft I had proposed.
I did not add the elements that have been discussed in the meantime, since I think it would be best summed up by the author himself.

Feel free to edit the rules, and even create pages if necessary.

I chose ChuWiki because it’s very light and should be enough for the job.

It has a simple (limited) syntax : you shouldn’t have to much trouble editing, and we can restore previous versions, though we don’t have full revisionning therefore we won’t know what’s been added/deleted… that’s why I added a ChangeLog page.

We can still use this thread to discuss issues, of course…

Last edited by davidm (2005-06-22 12:32:32)

.: Retired :.

#79 2005-06-22 16:40:14

Hans
Website

I remember a looooong while back we had a pretty instense discussion of templates…
Now it’s summer and I’ve got some more free time, so I’m up for the challenge.

Lumilux – A Photoblog

#80 2005-06-22 19:02:48

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

sign me up! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#81 2005-06-22 19:36:22

bizartist
Website

OK, added a couple sections to the wiki: Template Naming Scheme and Template Directory Structure. I figure we might as well leverage this contest to get consensus on such things, as our work here might have an impact on the the template system that finally gets put into TXP. Feel free to play around with these suggested schemes at will, I just wanted something in there as a starting point for discussion…

After enduring years of Art School, mild mannered Owen Waring noticed some unusual changes… the constant bombardment of criticism, it seems, had altered his DNA. Half pixel pusher, half programmer, he had become…. THE BIZARTIST

#82 2005-06-22 19:39:47

bizartist
Website

Also, I suggest we start on July 1st, and run until September 1st. 2 months should be plenty of time for those of us (like myself) who have other projects running simultaneously. It also gives us about a week to nail down the Contest Rules…

After enduring years of Art School, mild mannered Owen Waring noticed some unusual changes… the constant bombardment of criticism, it seems, had altered his DNA. Half pixel pusher, half programmer, he had become…. THE BIZARTIST

#83 2005-06-22 20:04:40

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Michael said:
> <b>I am not sure that the default textpattern page would be described as anyone as having “the maximum possible flexibility.”</b>

David said:
> <b>…allow the modification of existing forms and page, but not the creation of new forms or pages. Would that be satisfactory?</b>

Yes. While I realize we could all try and work from an agreed upon starting markup, that really limits design. How one person creates their markup can be quite different than another’s. We could be at deciding a base for some time.

CSS Zengarden was about CSS, how flexible it is, etc. There was not only starting markup, extras that could be used or not used.

We’re doing this to inspire interest in Textpattern, to give non-designers some templates for their site. Having potentially extraneous markup seems to clash, in my opinion, with that purpose.

Stuart said:
> <b>It would be better if all the entries were hosted in one place methinks.</b>

I agree, if its possible to do so. Makes it easier, more organized.

Micheal said:
> <b>…if we expect someone to be able to replace the stylesheet, it should not be too much for them to replace the default page template as well.</b>

I would hope so: its just another presentation sub-tab, requires clicking your mouse once… It would also be helpful to newbs: they’d get hand-on practise with something that isn’t necessarily an intuitive process, depending upon the person. I know I didn’t “get it” at first.

(…talking aloud…)

On the other hand, we have admin plugins now, creating a basic “installer” plugin wouldn’t be very difficult, if we’re talking about allowing changes to the defaults, but no additions. Forms and pages are just escaped, css is base64’d.

Create an “install style” tab, they paste in a string (like for plugins) click a button, and a few safe_updates(). All done.

Creating a helper script to help designers create a style would be fairly simple too. Put in a couple textareas, it gets run, creates the paste string.

That way, users could even try out several styles on their own, to see what they like best, but without much work.

If this idea sounds good for everyone, then I volunteer to contribute this (and if any coders want to help, we can share the job).

As far as length of time goes, when we start doesn’t matter to me, but the amount of time should be long enough for most, if not all, of us.

#84 2005-06-22 20:21:51

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

i like the idea of the installer, not only for the contest, but seems a handy thing to add to textpattern!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Board footer