Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#733 2010-06-22 13:34:31

aslsw66
Website

Re: ign_password_protect

Is it possible to use <txp:ign_self_edit> as a container for form elements?

The problem I have is that I’m using a page where a URL variable determines whether the user wants to either change their password or update their details (via smd_query). Without the correct URL variable, the page is simply blank.

However, <txp:ign_self_edit> can’t take any other variables apart from those it uses for it’s own processing, so it consistently fails in my page.

On the other hand, if I simply copy the fields that <txp:ign_self_edit> generates (and I’ve read the code too), then it doesn’t work either.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

#734 2010-06-22 15:58:51

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

laptophobo wrote:

Have users and password separate from the Admin Users (just because I’m allowing someone to view the password protected page does not mean I want them to have access to the Textpattern Admin panel or anything else.)

just create users with privileges: none in the backend. They can’t login to the backend but you can use them for ign_password_protect. It’s fine if you don’t need more granular access levels depending on user privs.

Protect a Section (so that Articles that land on this section will also enjoy protection)

Then have something like this in the page for the section you want to password protect:

<div id="content">
  <txp:ign_if_logged_in>
    <txp:article limit="3" form="post_article" />
  <txp:else />
      <!-- content when not logged in -->
  </txp:ign_if_logged_in>
</div>
<!-- ign_password_password  end -->
<div id="aside">
  <txp:ign_show_login  />
</div>

Last edited by JanDW (2010-06-22 15:59:35)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#735 2010-06-23 15:21:13

igner
Plugin Author

aslsw66 wrote:

Is it possible to use <txp:ign_self_edit> as a container for form elements?

The problem I have is that I’m using a page where a URL variable determines whether the user wants to either change their password or update their details (via smd_query). Without the correct URL variable, the page is simply blank.

However, <txp:ign_self_edit> can’t take any other variables apart from those it uses for it’s own processing, so it consistently fails in my page.

On the other hand, if I simply copy the fields that <txp:ign_self_edit> generates (and I’ve read the code too), then it doesn’t work either.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Well, the issue is that the ign_self_edit is not intended as an ad hoc form processor, so the form works, but the form processing on the back end is looking for specific fields, not just doing arbitrary processing. It’s been a while since I looked at it, but manfre’s mem_self_register has more extensive self-edit functionality and integrates with ign_pass_protect (which is a lot of the reason ign_self_edit is so bare bones). Give that a shot.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#736 2010-07-28 21:54:25

visualpeople
Website

I did a couple of searches (sorry, didn’t read through every single post in the forum, this time, I’m sure I have several times) but I didn’t see any references to this.

Can anyone think of a way we could have an alert sent via email whenever someone (logged in) visits a particular page or if not that, even an email sent that so-and-so just logged in to SectionA?

I can’t think of an easy way to do this, but I’ve never tried (read: thought of this) before, either.

-Ryan

#737 2010-07-28 22:41:39

igner
Plugin Author

Ryan -

This isn’t really directly related to ign_password_protect functionality. More importantly, I’m not entirely clear what the use case is you’re trying to target.

Off the top of my head, it’s conceivable to add callbacks to certain events such that another plugin could then hook into those events, but I can’t really say when or if I could make those changes.

What’s the end goal here?

#738 2010-07-28 23:10:20

visualpeople
Website

I know it’s not expressly tied to ign_password_protect (ie. I know it won’t do it for me), but I just wondered if there was some kind of login event that, when triggered, could also be set to send out an email to the site owner/manager.

A client is thinking for a download page of product manuals, being notified when the user logs in (I am honestly not entirely sure why other than to keep an eye of how often things are downloaded — proprietary systems that they need to make sure aren’t being shared with the wrong people) they just asked if it was possible.

I’m wondering now if it might just be easier to set up a custom report in Google Analytics and have that sent to them weekly.

Thanks much for your quick response, though.

-Ryan

#739 2010-07-28 23:15:16

igner
Plugin Author

Sure – the old saying goes “anything’s possible for a price”.

There’s no event callback currently tied to the validation event though IIRC it shouldn’t be that hard to register a callback there for another plugin to tap into. On the other hand, it sounds more like he’s interested in who’s downloading what – which is also entirely possible to implement at the download level. If I were working on it – that’s where I’d look first.

#740 2010-08-18 09:16:32

markusfalk
Website

Hey,

I’m building some sort of intranet-Blog which needs to be protected by password.

My questions is wether ign_password_protect also protects the RSS-Feed from being read? If not does anyone know a solution?

I haven’t used TXP for quite some time now. Can I make Feed-Templates in which I could use ign_password_protect?

thanks, Markus

I sometimes destructively reverse engineer my own work and the only help is this forum.

visit me at visiongraphix

#741 2010-09-10 08:37:24

aslsw66
Website

OK, after a lot of messing around I have returned to the self edit functionality of ign_password_protect – mainly because mem_self_register keeps throwing up errors. And it works (which should be no surprise of course).

What I would like to add is the functionality to allow a user who has forgotten their password to have a new one sent to them, similar to the back-end functionality. In my head, I see a simple form where the user enters their username. When they submit the form, the username is checked and if that username exists in the database then a new password is created and emailed to the email address in the database.

I would have a go at hacking this but after wading through the plugin code I’m struggling to identify the code that does this for the backend (ie. for administrators).

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

[EDIT] yes, I should read this thread to see if someone else has asked before. I’m up to page 34 of 74 so far!

Last edited by aslsw66 (2010-09-10 08:39:39)

#742 2010-09-10 09:04:38

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Hey aslsw66, I am not sure if I could help in some way but as you seem to be a lot into the ign_password and mem_self register subject you might be able to help me.
Right now I am on two projects which use either both or one of those plugins and I have problems with both.

1. The first project should be a password protected area (self registering would be nice but not necessarily needed) – Here it fails because whenever I login and reload the page or click on another link, i am logged out again and can not even login properly before deleting the cookies. I use the latest version of txp and the ign_password_protect plugin (4.2 and 0.5b9)

2. The second one is a txp-ticket-system. I got this running so far with mem_moderation and I am quite satisfied with the result. Problem is that I don´t receive any email when someone creates a new article. Email notification on comments works fine. Also the search function cannot search through comments. Any idea how that can be done? Later on I will have to protect everything with ign_password_protect as well (sorry if the second problem does not have a lot to do with that thread)

#743 2010-09-10 14:21:18

demoncleaner
Plugin Author
Website

Solved the first problem.

I retried the plugin without using the additional table ign_user in my database and… it works fine =)

If anyone got an idea on Problem #2 I ll be more than happy to read any ideas about it.

#744 2010-09-10 16:07:18

maverick
Website

I haven’t worked with mem_moderation much, so I don’t recall if it’s supposed to email you when there’s an article awaiting moderation.

If you are looking for the functionality in general (vs. something specific to mem_moderation), perhaps take a look at upm_pending_notify

Board footer