You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » upm_img_popper

#25 2005-05-23 19:39:15

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: upm_img_popper

I know about it. I know how to get this better behaviour, but it requires some more JavaScript (I’ll grab it from Quicktags) and I wanted to get this plugin out there, so people can start making use of it, make suggestions, etc. :) I’ll add it to the list for v.0.3

#26 2005-05-24 05:23:49

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

> mary wrote:

> Ok. Try once more? :)
js works great fine now.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#27 2005-05-24 22:54:16

jameslomax
Website

Seems to work OK for me :-)
I haven’t decided though, if I prefer it to bas_img_select.

For me the only advantage it has is seeing the thumbs, because its sometimes quite laborious using the names in the bas plugin. So far though this hasn’t been a major problem for me, with the kind if workflow i have. In other respects, bas_img is neater and faster. Could this be done as a drop-down feature, like bas_img?

But if you start adding features like category navigation then wow, I will definitely want this….
For me, image management is a major enhancement to txp.

#28 2005-05-24 23:01:47

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

“Could this be done as a drop-down feature, like bas_img”

Could, but I’d rather not. Read the “intro” in the help file.

“if you start adding features like category navigation “

Category navigation: I’m not sure what you mean. I used code from the image manager itself. If it ever does this, I’ll update the plugin accordingly. So, I couldn’t say whether I’ll ever attempt it or not. Could you describe what you mean? :)

#29 2005-05-24 23:17:09

sekhu
Website

>Category navigation: I’m not sure what you mean. I used code from the image manager itself. If it ever does this, I’ll update the plugin accordingly. So, I couldn’t say whether I’ll ever attempt it or not. Could you describe what you mean? :)

I THINK I know what he means. Basically the way the image manager is set up is rather chaotic – you can hae image cateogries, but they are in effect redundant as you cannot browse images by category nor manage them in their seperate cats. Right now it’s just a label which doesn’t do a whole lot. Perhaps it’s something for 1.0 where they will add category/section navigation and then this plugin would be able to do the same.

Right now though, and correct me if I’m wrong, the plugin works by taking the existing page and providing it as a pop up – so unless the feature is within that page, you couldn’t simply create the feature without rewriting the code for the image manager itself.

#30 2005-05-25 00:09:25

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Nope, I basically made a mini copy of the image tab. So, I could conceivably change it without changing the image tab, but it seems to me like some of that would still be a little over-doing it. If you’re going to be doing much image managing, it should be done in the appropriate page, rather than as a popup.

If we’re simply talking about changing how you can view the image list (rather than manage), I may be persuaded to add it, since that makes sense in this instance. If that’s the case, can you describe how you think it should behave?

#31 2005-05-25 00:33:19

sekhu
Website

By “how it’s viewed” i take you mean visually rather than any management side right? Since there’s no built in feature for the category images ot be browsed based on the category, the only other thing that may make the process of filtering through 100s of images is to perhaps view them a particular order such as by date, ascending, descending and so on – does the image area allow you to click through to pages directly or do you have to ue the next/prev navigation? Maybe there’s a need to view the images as a directory-style listing? or as smaller thumbnails to view more images within that window at once? I think clutching at straws with regards to the latter items but perhaps someone else has an idea.

That’s the only other thing I can think of, and it would probably be hard work to implement a category/section method of viewing and image – sort of like in that other thread where I asked where it could be done via a drop down menu in the main page, andI think Soulship stated it woudl beed to be an admin side plugin.

I’d just buildon this little by little. As it stands it’s the best way to add images (for me anyway), and in the future perhaps things like the above could be added. Hopefully the tabbed image manager will also improve. Keep it simple?

Last edited by sekhu (2005-05-25 00:34:26)

#32 2005-05-25 12:00:56

jameslomax
Website

Category navigation: yes, see above – thats what I meant. The txp handling doesn’t really achieve very much.

You may be right in using a pop up, to allow for future expansion that a dropdown would struggle with. At the moment though, for myself, my workflow concerns very individual/singular photo posts, so I dont need a huge navigation display. It could actually take more time to navigate the entire thumb page, which itself could get very big, compared to a drop down list like bas_img. Could it be an option in the plug in, to choose either dropdown or pop up? (Just ignore that suggestion, if its a very big or complicated issue!).

On the matter of display though, is that simpler to implement? If so, multiple columns would be much better than just one, where you have to do a lot of scrolling. Column displays (3 columns?) would also improve the default txp code, IMO, so maybe its something Dean might consider for txp. Because sooner or later, people will want to use txp for image handling and image/photo based sites.

Its great to see this being developed……:-)

Last edited by jameslomax (2005-05-25 12:01:49)

#33 2005-05-25 15:26:15

mrdale
Website

Suggestion: thumbs-only select/panel.

Mary has done some great work here to make a plugin that fills an obvious functional gap in TXP. I and others have already found it useful and all want to see it stretch in different directions. Mary’s doing a good job of walking that line between functionality/clutter. Having said that…

I think there is a place for another plugin that reveals a select or a div containing thumbnails only, perhaps sorted by category perhaps a 5 × 5 grid overflow set to hidden. Click on a thumbnail and it places the id in the article image field or a tag with ID in the body. This would provide a much more immediate, visual approach for content contributors.

I’d write it myself, but I don’t have the PHP skeeeals. (kinda like saying I’d be Michael Jordan, but I can’t play basketball :P ).

Thoughts?

#34 2005-05-25 15:49:54

sekhu
Website

> mrdale wrote:

> Suggestion: thumbs-only select/panel.

>Mary has done some great work here to make a plugin that fills an obvious functional gap in TXP. I and others have already found it useful and all want to see it stretch in different directions. Mary’s doing a good job of walking that line between functionality/clutter. Having said that…

>I think there is a place for another plugin that reveals a select or a div containing thumbnails only, perhaps sorted by category perhaps a 5 × 5 grid overflow set to hidden. Click on a thumbnail and it places the id in the article image field or a tag with ID in the body. This would provide a much more immediate, visual approach for content contributors.

>I’d write it myself, but I don’t have the PHP skeeeals. (kinda like saying I’d be Michael Jordan, but I can’t play basketball :P ).

>Thoughts?

Hmm it’s an interesting question – the plugin has a lot of potential, but it’s partly based on the existing management of the images. As has been mentioned, I think unless the core already has a way to distinguish images by category, and with the plugin being a mini-me version of the existing manager, it will be difficult to implement. That’s my pet peeve not of the plugin, but the purpose of image cats – or perhaps it’s there as a place holder for a future implementation.

Multiple thumbnails is a possibility, but at the same time, that means a larger window, and if you go 5 × 5 for example, then that would require a reasonable sized plugin -without overflow hidden and if the image thumbnail is bigger than the window, wouldn’t you want the ability to scroll down?

>Click on a thumbnail and it places the id

I think it already does this, does it not? If I click on the thumbnail, for me at least, it inserts the id of that image. Takinga way certain elements (file name) would be fine I think, but again some people may want it. My thought would be:

image cat
link1 link2 link3

So you would have the three options side by side at the bottom of the thumbnail. It may allow more images on screen – or probably not when I think about it. You would then need to set the number of images viewable for the popup, and then that would add its own pagination? Perhaps it’s all getting a little too complicated. If the image manager improves, then it makes the changes to the plugin easier I assume

#35 2005-05-25 16:02:23

jameslomax
Website

Yes it would. I think I saw Dean mention somewhere that image handling will improve for future releases, and I hope the idea isn’t buried under a lot of more frontline development needs. My guess is – my hope is – he cruises the forums keeping watch on developments like this one, and considering if they might have value for the txp core.

Incidentally Worpress is more advanced with this, in the sense that they have some great and widely used plugins. One of the better ones is called Exhibit, which does work quite nicely.

#36 2005-05-25 16:16:39

mrdale
Website

OK, a picture tells 1K words, so here’s a 19.3K gif ;P

Screen acreage = minimal
Switching <> windows = nope
info = uses alt tag
my 2c = simple and super intuitive

Last edited by mrdale (2005-05-25 16:32:03)

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » upm_img_popper

Board footer