Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#85 2006-09-23 01:28:58

cbeyls
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] ako_nav

People liking this plugin are probably not programmers or good CSS designers.

Its intention was not bad but, wait a minute… It contains dozens of options that are useless 99% of the time because you don’t need them or because you can achieve the same effect by using CSS stylesheets the right way or adding a snippet of HTML code above or below the plugin call in your template.

But it’s when I looked at the code (about 11,7kb of complex and repetitive code, 8 different functions!) that, after screaming, I decided to write my own plugin to do the same thing, well, in a simpler way. It is about 1,2kb of code.

My plugins : cbs_live_search (improved) – cbs_category_list – cbs_navigation_menu – cbs_gravatar (updated) – cbs_article_index – cbs_maintenance_mode (new) – cbs_section_language (new)

#86 2006-09-23 10:03:00

maniqui
Website

cbeyls wrote:

People liking this plugin are probably not programmers or good CSS designers.

I like this plug-in. I’m not a programmer but I consider myself a good CSS designer (with a lot to learn yet). So your statement is half wrong.
You could have said something better or nicer too.
People doing comments like yours are probably not good people or are looking for attention or…

Its intention was not bad but, wait a minute… It contains dozens of options that are useless 99% of the time because you don’t need them or because you can achieve the same effect by using CSS stylesheets the right way or adding a snippet of HTML code above or below the plugin call in your template.

Again, another un-constructive critic. You could have been not only nicer, but have said something positive.
Yes, “adding a snippet of HTML code above or below the plugin call in your template” is an option, but maybe, I would like to use some attributes in the plug-in to achieve the same, just for having my templates cleaner and lighter.

But it’s when I looked at the code (about 11,7kb of complex and repetitive code, 8 different functions!) that, after screaming, I decided to write my own plugin to do the same thing, well, in a simpler way. It is about 1,2kb of code.

Ah… you want to promote your plug-in. Yes, I saw it few days ago and I was about to ask you the differences between your plug-in and akokskis plug-in.
It would have been good to read that comparission in your above post.
I will give your plug-in a try, because I like low-weight and optimized plug-ins. Thanks for that and for others like the live search plug-in (now, I remember you also made some critics also to wilshire’s plugin).

BTW, people liking the “matrix” image at the top of your site or your Flash photogallery are probably… … … ;)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#87 2006-09-23 16:41:20

cbeyls
Archived Plugin Author
Website

First: no, I don’t like Flash, and I’m planning to remove this unmaintained gallery as soon as the new version of the excellent vdh_flickr plugin is released. As for the greenish image it’s only there temporarily because of my birthday. And I’m absolutely not a professional designer, just a programmer, but I do what I can.

Talking about CSS, I’m curious soo see in which case you absolutely need ako_nav to achieve an effect. I agree, I can add one or two more options to my plugin (and I will) but not more.

But well, anyway I’m not here to promote my plugin, since I don’t ask any money for it, nor any publicity, and my ego is okay. I just wrote it for myself then I decided to share it with others, writing the docs etc.

So, sorry if my post looked aggressive, I’m just here to help. As you’ll see, when I do a remark, I always propose an alternative solution.

My plugins : cbs_live_search (improved) – cbs_category_list – cbs_navigation_menu – cbs_gravatar (updated) – cbs_article_index – cbs_maintenance_mode (new) – cbs_section_language (new)

#88 2006-10-06 23:07:28

brosevear
Website

Hi Adrian, great plugin.

I’m having the same ‘messy url’ problem as an earlier post – the ‘active’ class doesn’t get applied. Did you ever solve this?

I use your plugin on a few sites, but this is the first time I’ve had to use it with messy urls.

#89 2006-10-16 04:49:29

akokskis
Plugin Author
Website

Hello all. Just wanted to announce version 1.0. This is the new super cool and awesome release has a bunch of new features…
  • Addition of accesskeys attribute
  • Addition of spanids attribute
  • Support for https://, ftp:// in url attribute
  • Support for https:// as through txp defined PROTOCAL
  • Attributes: acticlass, delim, <a> and <li> first / last child support
As far as the first/last child support goes, the attributes are as follows:
  • First child class on <a> tag: afchild
  • First child class on <li> tag: lifchild
  • Last child class on <a> tag: alchild
  • Last child class on <li> tag: lifchild
The other attributes are fairly simple, I think
  • acticlass – instead of class="active", it’s class="[ACTICLASS]"
  • delim – instead of using comma delimited lists for the attributes that take a list, use whatever you want.
  • accesskeys – A list of comma (or delim) separated values for the access keys on the links
  • spanids – A list of comma (or delim) separated values for the id attributes on the <span> tags.

I do want to note one thing however…
I have tested this fairly thoroughly, but there’s still the chance that a few slight issues exist with this code. It was pretty much totally re-written for this release. I don’t foresee any issues, but if you are faint of heart, I’d suggest you let someone else try it out.
That being said, I’d love for you all to try it out and give me some feedback, tell me that (hopefully) everything works wonderfully, etc. etc.

Download v1.0
Help

My Photoblog, and my personal site. Got nav? ako_nav.
Thanks for taking the time to look…

— vc3 —

#90 2006-10-16 22:28:50

lee

Thanks for the update, great work

#91 2006-10-25 19:19:41

Prax

Thanks for this great plugin!

Any way to get it to set the first item as active if the other items aren’t?

#92 2007-02-08 18:09:54

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

I use this great plugin for menu generation, but I’ve run in a problema. When I use the plugin twice in a page (one for horizontal nav, and one for lateral menu) it create the same accesskeys twice. I see that you can now define your own accesskey. But accesskey have problem. Numbers are (nearly) ok, but I don’t want any accesskey at all for lateral menu. The plugin doesn’t let me do that.

I’ve managed to hack the source code to achieve my result by adding an attribute that can disable the accesskey generation. It would be great if next version of the plulgin could take this in account.

If you think it may be userful I can send you the modified code, but it’s really trivial. :)

Thanks, bye

Z-

#93 2007-06-27 18:11:16

curiouz

Great plugin! having a little problem though: when I use liids”“ I get the following error: tag_error <txp:ako_nav name=“Green Tea,Black Tea,White Tea,Pink Tea,Purple Tea” url=”/green,/black,/white,/pink,/purple” headon=“0” divid=“navigation” ulclass=“mootabs_title” liids=“green,black,white,pink,purple”/> -> Textpattern Notice: Unknown tag attribute: liids on line 582.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

#94 2008-01-03 09:54:55

roobarb!
Website

If you use the correct attribute (liids), then the error ‘Textpattern Notice: Unknown tag attribute: liids’ pops up. However, remove the ‘s’ from the end of the attribute (so use ‘liid’ instead of ‘liids’) and it works fine.

A minor oversight on this latest version (v1.0)?

Hope that helps someone, anyway. :o)

#95 2008-01-03 10:00:47

jstubbs
Website

It is a nice plugin but since 4.05 and txp:section_list, its not really needed anymore.

#96 2008-12-03 18:05:41

kevinmcdougall

Hey Ako,

Belated thanks for the plugin, even though TXP has moved on and other similar plugins have emerged, there’s still a few things I really like about it. Been using it for a while now, and will probably continue to do so.

Spotted a small bug with it today though which might be of interest to anyone still using it regularly like myself. The lilchild attribute is not properly implemented by the plugin. At about line 253, it says $navbar[$i]["lifchild"]); a second time, instead of $navbar[$i]["lilchild"]);. Changing this allows you to apply a class to the last list item.

Board footer