Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-05-20 20:42:23

chrisrhee
Website

[issue] RSS ATOM feed is leaving in some encoded characters

My website’s feed is leaving in stuff like:

<pre><notextile>website& #8217;s</notextile></pre> in the feed. It shows up properly (as: website’s) on my Bloglines, but I got an email saying it was showing up the way I wrote it before on PulpFiction. I just checked with FeedDemon and it also displays: <pre><notextile>website& #8217;s</notextile></pre>

(I had to add a space between the & and # so it wouldn’t render the character on the forum)

I’m using RC3 revision 320 or so.

#2 2005-06-07 18:08:55

rayray

Re: [issue] RSS ATOM feed is leaving in some encoded characters

I’m having this same problem and it’s driving me batty! After Textile makes my text all pretty, my apostrophes for instance are showing up as question marks when taken from the feed!

How would one fix this? It’s not showing up wrong in my blog, in the HTML… but only when it goes out as a feed, often thru FeedBurner. This didn’t happen on previous versions, it started with this version of rc3. Help!

#3 2005-06-07 21:47:56

zem
Developer Emeritus

showing up as question marks when taken from the feed!

What do you mean, “taken from the feed”? Copy-pasted? From what into what?

Can you show us some links?

Alex

#4 2005-06-08 02:12:44

rayray

Sure. Take this entry for example:

http://needmoredesigns.com/notes/75/connecting-women-designers-in-portland

There’s an apostrophe in there that Textile has converted into an HTML entity. Now here’s where it gets confusing: the feed passes through FeedBurner, and when it comes back to appear on our home page, at needmoredesigns.com, or to appear in a news reader, its entities are all wrong. On the HTML page, they show up as a question mark, and in my news reader (NewsFire on Mac) I see the entities themselves.

So it’s gonna actually be rather hard to figure out, because it passes through so many places. But I’m pretty sure it’s either with TextPattern or with FeedBurner…

#5 2005-06-08 02:46:15

zem
Developer Emeritus

Take Feedburner out of the equation, and subscribe directly to the RSS/Atom feed. Looks fine to me.

Conclusion: Feedburner is the problem.

Alex

#6 2005-06-08 03:15:40

zem
Developer Emeritus

Take Feedburner out of the equation, and subscribe directly to the RSS/Atom feed. Looks fine to me.

Not so fast!

Some characters are encoded just fine in the original feed. Others are double-encoded.

Are you able to email me the text of the article as it appears in content > write?

Alex

#7 2005-06-27 20:53:06

reynir
Website

Did anyone make any progress with this? I’m wondering whether I have a related problem. My site’s feeds work fine in Bloglines, or NetNewsWire. On Textplanet though (which uses the Planet feed aggregator) my feed appears with all the html tags showing. So instead of a hyperlink you see a href= etc. It’s the only feed that appears to be doing that.

Feed’s http://www.iainrowan.com/?atom=1

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

#8 2005-06-27 22:18:17

Boogenstein

Reynir, when Textplanet first started my posts were doing the same thing. The guy running Textplanet fixed it after I mentioned it in the TxD forum. I don’t know what he did though.

“Keep a straight face and you’ll be laughing!”

#9 2005-06-28 00:40:35

zem
Developer Emeritus

Still waiting for an answer to my question.

Alex

#10 2005-09-29 00:06:39

rayray

Sorry, dropped the ball on this thread. Yeah, well I’ll try to show you what my source text might look like:

By now you’ve probably heard about our website updating application, Ladybug. Inspired by the best ideas of “Web 2.0” and software like Backpack and Strongspace, we’ve borrowed some great ideas and practices from many of these great web-based applications. We’ve also been writing our software in Ruby on Rails which, like the apps mentioned above, definitely creates software with opinions.

Where I’ve written “Web 2.0” above looks fine on the (UTF-8 encoded) web page, and sure enough, when I view the feed on my reader and it has passed thru feedburner, entities like #8217; show up in place of the curly quotes… SOMETIMES!

The weirdest part is that – it’s been like this for months, it usually shows up just as the #8217; entity, but sometimes they work right. Sometimes the whole post is right. Usually most of the entities are screwed up. I’m not sure how to even track this down – it’s all kinda black magic to me!!!

I’ve upgraded to 4.0 when it came out. I’ve tried other feeds that pass thru feedburner and they all seem fine, I haven’t really found a feed with the same problem that I’m having. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rayray (2005-09-29 00:07:03)

#11 2005-09-29 01:23:41

zem
Developer Emeritus

Try updating to the latest in the 4.0 branch, it fixes some feed problems, including (probably) this one.

Also, you can help out here.

Last edited by zem (2005-09-29 01:26:23)

Alex

Board footer