Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2005-10-01 08:40:05

jstubbs
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_live_search

Very nice plugin thank you. Question – how to style the results list? I can’t view source to see what is coming up so I am not sure of what’s there. I used the styles that are specified in the plugin help, and can style those without problem.

It would be nice to have a hover effect rather like Rob has on his site at wilshireone.com.

Also, I find that the arrows up and down don’t work. Or rather, it did yesterday and now it doesn’t!

I have this for the code:
<code><div id=“live_search”>
<txp:rss_live_search label=“Live Søk:” inputsize=“10” form=“live_search_results” notfound=“Ingen resultater!” />
</div></code>

In my form I have:
<code><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink><br />
<txp:posted /></code>

Probably missed something basic here!

#74 2005-10-01 12:19:32

squaredeye
Website

For styling, try this for starters.
There are lots of other ways to do it, but this is some help I got from john hicks

/* LiveSearch */
/* ———————————————————————————- */

#livesearch { width:320px; font-size: 10px;
}

#LSResult { position: absolute; background: url(/images/con_bkgd.png); width:320px; overflow: hidden; z-index:100; border: 1px solid #ddd;
}

#LSResult a { color: #333; display: block; padding: 2px 5px; border-bottom: 0; text-decoration: none;
}

ins { border-bottom: 0; text-decoration: none;
}

#LSResult a:hover { background-color: #999; color: #fff;
}

#LSResult ul,
#LSResult li { list-style-type:none; list-style-image: none; margin: 0; padding: 0;
}

———————————————————————

Per your arrows question, I don’t think that functionailty should change unless you have done some editing to any php in your plugin or in the installation at large.

Cheers,

Matthew

#75 2005-10-01 22:13:18

jstubbs
Website

Thanks for the help Mathew. The style I was missing was LSResult a and LSResult a:hover since it was not part of the examples given by Rob, and I find it impossible to view source when the live search is on. Its a nice plugin.

Can’t get the arrows to work even with a simple call to the plugin. Worked yesterday. Mystery!

#76 2005-10-08 06:37:46

richards
Website

I noticed if I have logging turned on in the prefs, then anything I type in the search box creates a gazillion hits in the log view.

Anyone else have this problem, is there a way around this?

#77 2005-10-18 07:21:04

distantlyyours
Website

I’m seeing some strange behavior when I use a custom form. Particularly, I see two problems one problem:

1.) If I go with the year/month/date/title format, instead of the id/title format, the LS results all come back with 1969 as the year, instead of the actual year I posted the article.

2.) If I use the arrow keys and hit enter, it passes the text in the search box through to TXP’s default search engine, instead of taking me to the page I highlighted with the arrow key. Turns out my problem was that I included the DIV class=“LSRow” element in my form. I just read that part of the instructions hastily, but I wonder how many other folks make the same mistake?

I am using version 0.2.2 of the plugin on TXP 4.0.1.

Any ideas on what’s going on?

Last edited by distantlyyours (2005-10-18 07:36:56)

#78 2005-10-18 18:09:44

squaredeye
Website

awhile back sekhu posted that he had validation errors. No one replied. I am having those same errors. Any ideas:

Here are the w3c validation errors.

here is my page.

Thanks yall,

Matthew

Below are the results of checking this document for XML well-formedness and validity.
<code>
Error Line 85 column 27: there is no attribute “name”.
<form id=“searchform” name=“searchform” method=“get” action=“http://www.artiswor
You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not support that attribute for this element.

Error Line 86 column 10: document type does not allow element “label” here; missing one of “p”, “h1”, “h2”, “h3”, “h4”, “h5”, “h6”, “div”, “pre”, “address”, “fieldset”, “ins”, “del” start-tag. <label>LiveSearch:
The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you’ve placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you’ve forgotten to close a previous element.

Error Line 89 column 86: document type does not allow element “br” here; missing one of “p”, “h1”, “h2”, “h3”, “h4”, “h5”, “h6”, “div”, “pre”, “address”, “fieldset”, “ins”, “del” start-tag.
…) {this.value = ‘’;}” /></label><br/>

</code>

#79 2005-10-20 19:12:03

squaredeye
Website

bump, anyone? This looks like it needs tweaking that I don’t know how to do at all?

THoughts,

Matthew

#80 2005-10-23 20:33:42

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Change the search form code to read as follows. This should be around line 250:

<code>return ‘<form id=“searchform” name=“searchform” method=“get” action=”’.hu.$searchto.’” onsubmit=“return liveSearchSubmit()”> <label>’.$label.$input.’</label>’.$sbtn.’<br/> <div id=“LSResult” style=“display: none;”><div id=“LSShadow”></div></div> </form>’;</code>

When I have time I’ll release a newer version of the plugin with this code included.

#81 2005-10-23 21:08:00

squaredeye
Website

Rob,
Sorry, that didn’t do it for me. I tried a fresh install of 2.2, etc.
Also, I note that atleast in bbedit for mac the line is at 120? I am curious why there is such a discrepency. I have checked validation of my page without the plugin and its all validated xhtml 1.0 strict. I am not sure what’s going on here?

Thanks for your help on this,

Matthew

ps. I still get the same three errors.

pps. That’s a interesting banana you had lunch with.

#82 2005-10-23 21:33:11

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry, I was looking at the line numbers on my source code version.

I just uploaded version 0.2.3 which should work. Let me know if not.

#83 2005-10-23 21:39:58

squaredeye
Website

Rob,

Well done. That did it. It added an additional box for me? I guess I will have to check my css to see why it did this? Maybe its a conflcting class or something?

If you want to see, or have any ideas see here

Thanks again, for the fix.

Matthew

#84 2005-10-23 21:41:47

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Glad that worked. Add <code>fieldset {border: 0;}</code> to your CSS to get rid of the extra box.

Board footer