Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-03-31 17:18:49

Destry
Website

[wiki] TextBook...officially adopted by Textpattern!!!

First off, if you don’t know about TextBook, now you should.

A milestone has been reached: I had a chat with Dean today and he has officially adopted/appointed TextBook as the “authoritative” user documentation for TxP. That’s cool. (For posterity, TextBook’s background.)

Here are some things on the horizon, gleaned from my chat with the progenitor:

• As originally visioned, TextBook will ultimately be ported to a spruced-up TxP install having an information architecture suited to the TextBook manual. Dean has somebody in mind for making it all pretty, but ideas will be solicited for the information architecture aspects, as we want that to be well-conceived and in place before content is ported over.
  • As part of the inception process, the TxP version of TextBook will be hosted on textpattern.com, and likely become an official link from the Textpattern home page. The first thing that will be realized under the TextBook flag is a single FAQ page about Textpattern that is targeted to people who have never even heard of Textpattern before (e.g., they do a Google search on “cms”, see “Textpattern” and come to the site to read the fact sheet). Much of this FAQ information will likely be extracted from the first couple of chapters of TextBook, with some give or take as needed.
  • TextBook will move forward with localization, starting with the wiki. The ideas about this already discussed in the wiki’s Language Support pages will be acted upon as soon as possible. More information about this will be posted in the wiki. (Naturally, localization will be supported in the TxP version as well, but details in that respect are forthcoming.)
  • There will be (hopefully) more communication from Dean and Co. with respect to TextBook content and the direction it’s going, though he is pretty happy with the way things are shaping up so far.

Having said all that, and especially now that it has been officially adopted, TextBook is currently in need of some revision and filling-out. The Current Events page of the wiki is the place to learn about TextBook activities and priorities. Probably the most important thing at the moment is to get the fact sheet put together, get existing wiki content revised to be appropriate for v1.0, and to draft all new content with v1.0 in mind. Again, see the Current events page for more insight to TextBook priorities as they arise. A new page at the top of the Table of Contents will be started for the Textpattern Fact Sheet.

If you have thoughts about improving Textbook at any step of the way, then by all means, share them.

Last edited by Destry (2005-04-27 11:16:57)

#2 2005-03-31 18:35:07

Destry
Website

Re: [wiki] TextBook...officially adopted by Textpattern!!!

One way to facilitate discussion about TextBook might be to utilize Dean’s IRC #textpattern channel, since not much more seems to be discussed in there. Just a thought.

#3 2005-03-31 20:19:33

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

“TextBook will ultimately be ported to a spruced-up TxP install”

“likely become an official link from the Textpattern home page”

Yay! Finally. :)

#4 2005-03-31 20:53:25

ebits
Website

Excellent! and I just joined two days ago, looking forward to more contributions : )

#5 2005-04-01 11:17:24

Baseline_Benny
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Destry, Dean, well done.

This is good news.

Ben.

Life is what you make it… if nothing changes, nothing changes.
Web hosting http://dynamicwebhosting.com.au/
Web dev & marketing http://wallishamilton.com/

#6 2005-04-01 11:49:54

davidm

Glad to see we we can pick up the momentum where we left it :-)

I’ll come back to TextBook then !

C.U

.: Retired :.

#7 2005-04-05 17:51:22

Destry
Website

For those that haven’t heard, Christopher Horrell is the new manager of TextDrive’s internal and external documentation. (See A few new faces in the TexDrive boards.) I’m sure he will have his fingers busy with TextDrive issues for a while, but he’ll likely (I hope) get involved with TextBook eventually.

Christopher, let me be the first to welcome your involvement with TextBook. I’m so glad to see another TCer in the mix.

Last edited by Destry (2005-04-05 17:52:08)

#8 2005-04-07 09:29:21

Destry
Website

With the recent confirmation that TextBook will ultimately be ported to a TxP install, there is an effort taking place in TextBook to move individual write-ups (chapter sections) to their own pages, much like an article in a TxP Web site. This will make it easier later when moving one architecture to another.

The Chapter sections will still be organized under their respective chapters in the Table of Contents, as before, but their underlying links will now go to unique pages.

What this means is that anywhere in the fora where a link has been made to a specific section in TextBook, it is ikely broken or will be very soon. If you are an author of such a post, you are encouraged to check your links and update them.

To monitor the status of this change (and other priorities) in TextBook, see the Current Events page in the wiki.

#9 2005-04-07 12:03:29

davidm

Ok, duly noted.

By “ultimately be ported to a TxP install” you mean when the draft will be in late stage or simply validated by Dean ?

#10 2005-04-07 12:14:27

davidm

I am tired of this forum not working properly… I just tried to edit my last post, added something, try to publish and poof… NOTHING.

Well to sum it up, I just wrote I had checked out the current events page and was impressed by the work you had put up on this project lately, Destry :)

Also I was saying given Christopher’s r

#11 2005-04-07 16:17:31

Destry
Website

davidm wrote:

<blockquote>By â

#12 2005-04-15 11:27:43

Destry
Website

Announcement

TextBook is now in full support of multiple languages. If you want to get involved, read this page…TextBook Language Support

Board footer