Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2024-03-12 16:23:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Favourite Code/Text Editor

phiw13 wrote #336870:

BTW, if cmd-@ fails, try with cmd-` (and / or check what is listed in the Finder menu, Window > Cycle Through Windows).

CMD-backtick works on this version of macOS I have, thank you. At least, it does if the apps occupy the same virtual desktop, but it won’t jump between desktops. I can live with that.

Can’t believe after all these years of using cmd-tab I’ve never accidentally missed the tab key and nudged the key above it to cycle windows within the application.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#14 2024-03-12 16:57:46

giz
Website

jakob wrote #336868:

This is all getting a bit Nova specific, but here are some further tips and also questions of mine:

I just learned new stuff about Nova!

I’m largely happy with Nova’s interface, though I wish I had the discipline of regularly closing tabs when I’m finished with them. I’m clueless with regex, so the Nova approach is appreciated.

I tried VS Code, but it just felt rong.

#15 2024-03-12 17:40:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I also tried Visual Studio and I think it lasted about three days on my system before I uninstalled it and went back to a regular text editor for coding. The interface was just so prescriptive and over the top, trying to force me into a way of working that didn’t suit.

I think Atom lasted about a week. I wanted to like it, but… didn’t.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#16 2024-03-13 00:09:06

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #336871:

CMD-backtick works on this version of macOS I have, thank you. At least, it does if the apps occupy the same virtual desktop, but it won’t jump between desktops. I can live with that.

Glad I could help. If you are interested, Apple list of keyboard shortcuts: support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201236 for en-gb keyboards. And don’t forget, pressing the (option) key when opening a menu often reveals additional options in standard Mac applications.

–^–

Visual Studio: I don’t remember ever going further than looking at the website before downloading. That was… enough. Atom lasted about an hour before it went down into the Trash folder as a torture instrument.

There, a compliment for Nova: at least I gave it multiple tries. Still don’t find anything really attractive in it that would convince me to think about using it.

–^–

Any recomendation or suggestion for Linux or Windows text & code editors ?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#17 2024-03-13 09:05:37

Algaris

I’m really enjoying reading through this thread. Thank you everyone for posting. I’m loving all the tips and tricks, please keep them coming and the discussion flowing 🙂

I found a Souped-up Nova extension that was inspired by Tab List which has a number of improvements and new features. Tabs Sidebar

jakob wrote #336868:

This is all getting a bit Nova specific…

I don’t mind personally but if anyone want’s to post workflows, tips, or tricks for their favourite editor please go ahead. This thread doesn’t have to be just about Nova 😉

#18 2024-03-13 09:08:29

Algaris

Bloke wrote #336873:

I think Atom lasted about a week. I wanted to like it, but… didn’t.

I stuck with Atom for quite some time and really wanted to like it too but it just didn’t stick, I’m not quite sure why. Maybe I’m too much of a Mac purist in how I want my apps to look, feel and function.

#19 2024-03-13 09:14:25

Algaris

phiw13 wrote #336874:

Any recommendation or suggestion for Linux or Windows text & code editors ?

I’ve always found AlternativeTo a good place to look for software. I’ve found some amazing applications through their site.

#20 2024-03-13 16:18:37

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

+1 for Nova. Before that it was Atom, and before that it was Coda.

#21 2024-03-13 16:31:02

Algaris

Nova seems quite popular here.

gaekwad wrote #336881:

+1 for Nova. Before that it was Atom, and before that it was Coda.

How come you moved from Coda to Atom? How did you find Atom, what things did you like and dislike? I’m genuinely curious.

Last edited by Algaris (2024-03-14 08:44:32)

#22 2024-03-14 01:29:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@Algaris Since you asked about workflows, tips etc

Working with EPUB files. BBEdit can open the .epub bundle directly, it opens as what could be a “project” in Nova lingo. From there I can perform all text (editing) operations I need on individual (.xhtml) files or in batches, or editing and fine-tuning the markup, and so on. This I cannot do it with Nova.

Although note, Calibre is much better for strictly “epub” operations, such as generating and managing the table of contents and meta-data, verifying the overall integrity of the book, …

Similarly, editing a file inside a .zip bundle. In both cases, .zip and .epub, without opening/unzipping the package in the Finder.

This week I also spend some time updating a “style” (theme) for the Vienna-RSS feed reader. This Nova could do (half-surprised, as to the Finder, a Vienna-RSS style just looks like a bundle).

Jakob noting about search (grep): I see now, it is basically the standard OS provided search UI, similar (same ?) to what TextEdit has (TextEdit can do some GREP in the search bar although I never tried it). Nova probably has some goodies attached to it, not clear.

Algaris wrote #336883:

Nova seems quite popular here.

I am sitting there all alone in my little corner with BBEdit… very comfortable! (BBEdit in use for 20y +)

I am a little surprise though…

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#23 2024-03-14 08:26:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I’ve always skipped over BBEdit because sixty dollars.

The freebie version doesn’t support projects. Nor does it have git integration, which I find insanely helpful for doing diffs and rolling back individual file changes when I change my mind before making a commit.

The HTML editor/auto completer might be handy but I could probably live without that pro feature.

Can’t see if it supports any user extensions/plugins from a cursory glance. Also, I’d be limited to 14.6.9 on Catalina at the mo. And, sixty dollars.

Might give the trial a whirl though. Just to see if it offers anything better than Sublime.

#24 2024-03-14 08:43:25

Algaris

phiw13 wrote #336886:

Working with EPUB files. BBEdit can open the .epub bundle directly, it opens as what could be a “project” in Nova lingo. From there I can perform all text (editing) operations I need on individual (.xhtml) files or in batches, or editing and fine-tuning the markup, and so on. This I cannot do it with Nova.

Now that is interesting. The ability to open an .epub bundle could be incredibly useful.

phiw13 wrote #336886:

Although note, Calibre is much better for strictly “epub” operations, such as generating and managing the table of contents and meta-data, verifying the overall integrity of the book, …

I like the idea of Calibre and keep coming back to it to manage my ebook collection, but it’s interface is terrible.

phiw13 wrote #336886:

This week I also spend some time updating a “style” (theme) for the Vienna-RSS feed reader. This Nova could do (half-surprised, as to the Finder, a Vienna-RSS style just looks like a bundle).

Vienna-RSS. Now that’s a blast from the past. It was one of my first RSS readers. It’s good to know Vienna’s still around.

phiw13 wrote #336886:

I am sitting there all alone in my little corner with BBEdit… very comfortable! (BBEdit in use for 20y +)

I’ve come across BBEdit but I’ve never really given it a good shake. I think John Gruber might be a BBEdit user.

Board footer