Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#85 2005-04-18 22:40:55

soulship
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_thumbpop - Thumbnail Image Gallery w/ popups

Hey Rob,

If you really are going to dive into it, something along the way of Max Ziebel’s with thumbnails and a display area for showing the full sized image would be out of this world. I am not a coding person, but I thought I would throw it out there. If we can get the scripting on the serverside and avoid all of the javascript that would be stupendous. I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but I had Max’s plugin installed for a friend’s site and it does not work with the latest “patch” for ie6, it throws about a thousand javascript errors and thumnails open in a new full size window now. (it still works fine in Mozilla go figure) But I like the funtionality that it has, with nice little thumbnails and a output right underneath. It makes for nice a tight little display.

Jamie

Last edited by soulship (2005-04-18 22:43:54)

#86 2005-04-18 23:37:56

danielk

Hmm, if I got to request anything

the ability to bulk upload images in a zip file, define a category, and be done with it.

but that doesn’t really apply to your very handy plugin though, now does it?

how about a random gallery? something where somone could specify a quantity of images, randomly selected, and then have an option that will either have the images take you to the gallery page that they originated from, or just open the popup window, like normal, with the selected image.

a variation of this would be a recent gallery. same idea, but it would display the most recently uploaded images.

oh, and the option to enable scroll if the image is bigger than the popup window. had an image that was fairly wide, and couldn’t scroll sideways.

I just started using the plugin, and it seems to do everything I want. This was just some ideas that I thought would be cool.

#87 2005-04-19 00:42:49

rbl

> I’m making some updates for use on my site so now’s your chance to throw out any suggestions

Wilshire, what about that “catch all” option I mentioned some posts ago? I have all my photos in categories and there are a lot of them.
Instead of writing:
category=

#88 2005-04-19 01:28:25

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Here’s what I’ve included:

• thumbnails can now be linked to a full size image that will apear on the same page as the thumbnails
  • the full size image can appear either above or below the thumbnails
  • added the ability the show images from all categories
  • added the ability to sort images randomly (in addition to by date asc, date desc, name and caption)
  • the old external thumbpop.php file now included in the plugin so theres no need to upload it separately

#89 2005-04-19 02:07:21

rbl

One of my original quirks with it was that I couldn’t find a way to display the alt text bellow the thumbnail instead of the caption.
Since the alt text is usually a simple description like “girl holding flower” and the caption is a much more elaborate description of the image, I think it’s logic to use it like a title.

Another one more, rather simple, that I’ve included by hand but some folks might enjoy it: clicking the image will close the window.

#90 2005-04-19 16:48:45

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

rbl – The display of the alt text below would be an easy enough switch. The window closing I’m not sure about. I’d prefer using a close button. I don’t like when things happen that you don’t expect. A button labeled close I would expect to close a window while having the same happen just from clicking the picture seems like it could be confusing to some. I think that ones best left for people to add as you did it they want. Thanks again for the suggestions.

#91 2005-04-22 14:23:37

soulship
Website

Rock on Rob, this sounds Great! This will take care of many holes in the image handeling side of txp.

Jamie

EDIT:
If you need a gunea pig let me know. =)

Last edited by soulship (2005-04-22 14:26:19)

#92 2005-04-22 15:28:28

mrdale
Website

> soulship wrote: If we can get the scripting on the serverside and avoid all of the javascript that would be stupendous.

I’d like to vote to keep the javascript solution, simply because when you select the same page option, you can have all the activity required for a comprehensive gallery viewing take place without the page reloading. Perhaps a trivial concern, but ergonomically better for users (IMHO).

BTW: when can we see? (excited!)

Last edited by mrdale (2005-04-22 15:31:06)

#93 2005-04-22 15:41:21

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

There won’t be any vitamin J used in this version. The same page display will reload the page. A future version could include a javascript option but no time for that now.

You can expect to see the new version any time between now and the end of the month.

#94 2005-04-22 15:47:52

mrdale
Website

Boo :: Yay :: OK

#95 2005-04-22 17:05:27

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Actually, that javascript is pretty simple. This could work its way in as another option sooner than later. But did you just boo the thumbpop?

Last edited by wilshire (2005-04-22 17:05:39)

#96 2005-04-22 18:47:06

mrdale
Website

Boo to page reloads :: Yay to your work :: Ok, I guess I’ll have to wait.

Seriously though, I appreciate your great work, and that of others to really expand TxP’s already versatile feature-set. Makes it easy to be better web designer.

Board footer