Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2005-02-25 04:21:17

aslsw66
Website

Re: Mod File Upload

I’ve successfully installed Mod File Upload, although I made a mess to start out with (backups are great aren’t they?) but can’t seem to get it to work.

I already had a directory called “Files”, so I just changed the permissions to all Mod File Upload to access it.

When I try to create an entry for an existing file, I get the message “there was a problem creating the file entry”.

If I try to upload a completely new file, I get the message “there was a problem saving the file data”.

In both cases, the message appears at the top.

By the way, I’m using QuikPik 2.5, but this shouldn’t be the problem – I found the right bits of code to edit in txplib_head.php.

Any ideas on where I’ve gone wrong. I think this is a great mod, adds some extra functionality for sites (as opposed to blogs) – and it integrates nicely in the administration interface.

Thanks,

AS

#74 2005-02-25 09:14:58

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

as, what version of txp are you using?

I have made significant changes to the file upload mod. The mod is more extensive and digs deeper in to the heart of rc3, which means that there are many more steps required to properly apply it. The next release of the mod will have clean url support, a lot of bug fixes, and better support for localization. The messy urls have changed too. Since there is a lot of activity on svn with rc3, i’m holding out on releasing the changes until things slow down on there more.

#75 2005-02-25 13:33:24

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Sorry I spoke Manfre. Although the physical aspects of uploading etc. are fine I’ve just found that, whilst I have a “File categories” column on the “Organise” page it’s not picking up the categories that already exist so you might want to keep an eye on that. It’s not a problem for me at this time. I only went to that page for something else. Something I should mention is that I’m using QuikPik3 and I usually have to add “files” back into the array manually so it gets picked up in the QuikPik menus. I’ve not had to do anything before to pick up the categories – it usually picks them up automatically – so I’m thinking this is a mod-file problem rather than a QuickPik3 problem but I’ll let you know if I find otherwise. I’m about to hit wilshire|one with a QuikPik problem anyway. :grin:

Last edited by thebombsite (2005-02-25 13:34:18)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#76 2005-02-25 16:14:52

m3avrck
Website

Hey Manfre, just have a little feature request. For users uploading large files, it would be great if a little javascript could unhide a layer that says “uploading…” with a little setInterval() to add some animation to show a file is being uploaded.

I’ve actually implemented this on a project I was working on for some document management so if you’d like to see the code or a sample, just let me know! Keep up the excellent work too!

#77 2005-02-25 16:42:10

m3avrck
Website

Also, Manfre, another thing, not sure if file upload does this or not, but it would be awesome to include a cleanFilename() to replace bad characters and spaces in filenames with ‘_’ … I have a function that does this I can also pass your way. This would definetly be useful, I have had a few problems with spaces in filenames before.

#78 2005-02-25 17:24:10

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

> thebombsite wrote:

> whilst I have a “File categories” column on the “Organise” page it’s not picking up the categories that already exist so you might want to keep an eye on that.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Are there categories listed for files on the Organize tab, but they are not showing up in the “files” tab when you edit a file? Do the categories exist in the database? Can you add and remove categories for files?

> Something I should mention is that I’m using QuikPik3 and I usually have to add “files” back into the array manually so it gets picked up in the QuikPik menus.

Add “files” back to what array?

I’ve not had to do anything before to pick up the categories – it usually picks them up automatically – so I’m thinking this is a mod-file problem rather than a QuickPik3 problem but I’ll let you know if I find otherwise.

Are there file categories in the database? Do they show up on the “Oraganise” tab? If so, it’s a quickpik problem. I do not use QuickPik, so I am not completely following you.

#79 2005-02-25 18:24:21

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

OK. These are file categories that existed before I upgraded to RC3 and now, although there is a “File categories” column on the “Organise” page it is not listing those existing categories. I haven’t tried to add a new one or anything. Do you want me to try?

I don’t think the QuikPik thing is anything to do with it. It’s just that I have to add ‘file’ into Rob’s code for the new menus else it doesn’t get picked up (just like it has to be added to the original tabs).

Stuart

#80 2005-02-25 21:37:54

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

And the dropdown “File category” box on the page where you save the file details is empty so there must be a reason why TXP isn’t picking that information up from the existing database info although it is showing it on the file-list page.

Stuart

#81 2005-02-25 21:52:01

andjules

<em>it would be great if a little javascript could unhide a layer that says “uploading…

#82 2005-02-26 17:07:21

m3avrck
Website

<em>> andjules wrote:
I use basecamphq.com’s project management app, and they (seem to) have a slightly simpler approach – unhide a div with a ‘faux progress’ animated .gif (it’s like a horizontal barber shop pole – it just keeps spinning). As with most file upload processes, there is no true indication of progress, but this seems like a nice client-pacifying technique.</em>

I agree. I did some research and there is an actual way to create a file upload with a Perl+PHP script: http://www.raditha.com/php/progress.php

But something similar, with just an onclick show animated div would be awesome. Very simple to add. Works great without an image too using setInterval() to rewrite contents of div:

Uploading.
Uploaindg..
Uploading…
Uploading.

etc

Last edited by m3avrck (2005-02-26 17:08:04)

#83 2005-02-27 21:48:03

aslsw66
Website

Manfre

I am using TXP1.0rc1. Is this the problem? I would like to upgrade to rc3 but frankly, I’m not really sure how to do it. It doesn’t look like there is a zipped version.

If this mod only works with rc3 – sounds like it’s got lots of good features – I’m happy to upgrade but I’d really appreciate some ‘plain English’ guidance on it. For example, I read the instructions in Dean’s announcement of rc3 and I think I would have more chance of reading Latin!

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by aslsw66 (2005-02-27 21:59:49)

#84 2005-03-01 20:54:34

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Manfre – as I don’t need the facility to upload more files at the moment, and as the admin screens aren’t picking up the “categories” anyway, would I be right in thinking that if I remove the mods relating to admin but retain the plugin and additional files, the downloading process would continue to work OK? The reason I ask is that, with the possibility that such a facility will be in the final version “1.0”, I want to keep my mods to the original code to a minimum so as to avoid confusion over the next few weeks.

Stuart

Board footer