Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2017-12-19 16:08:16

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Parts of backend not functioning after update

Bloke wrote #308365:

I can’t remember actually, but I think we decided to only ship public themes in the setup directory and not with the main 4.7 themes directory. This is so that we don’t potentially overwrite anyone’s sites, as there’d be no simple way to ‘sync’ the file system with the DB on upgrade (short of forcing an export, which seems a bit risky for anyone who’s running 4.7.0-dev and has started playing with themes already).

These brave people must love the risk if they are running dev, so no worries. :-) But AFAIR Phil wanted (well…) to ship a very basic public theme too, to play with. And if both (basic and default) are put in setup, one of them will be deleted with setup, without any chance to be played with.

#26 2017-12-19 16:33:21

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

etc wrote #308366:

But AFAIR Phil wanted (well…) to ship a very basic public theme too, to play with.

Not wishing to gatecrash Ralitza’s original topic with other discussions – but no I just wanted the default theme to be in the public themes folder not setup. If and when people upgrade to 4.7.x or 4.8 or whatever we can just put in the upgrade instructions that if you’ve called your own theme ‘default’ then don’t overwrite it with the upgrade file (or better still don’t call it default in the first place).

Primary reason for this was that users could then edit and play with that theme as a flat file, instead of it being lost (apart from being in database) when setup ends.

#27 2017-12-19 17:01:38

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #308367:

I just wanted the default theme to be in the public themes folder not setup. … Primary reason for this was that users could then edit and play with that theme as a flat file, instead of it being lost (apart from being in database) when setup ends.

Then it shouldn’t be called default, imo. But I leave it with themes maestros.

#28 2017-12-19 17:05:16

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #308368:

Then it shouldn’t be called default, imo.

I think that was my recommendation too. There’s a thread about this somewhere (maybe GitHub, maybe here?) where we came to a conclusion.

EDIT: Found it.

Last edited by Bloke (2017-12-19 17:11:08)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#29 2017-12-19 17:22:59

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #308369:

EDIT: Found it.

Right. I seem to have flip-flopped between wanting the default in the setup folder and theme folder and I still don’t know what the final decision was that we all agreed on. Anyway let’s continue this discussion on GitHub once the theme branch is merged.

Board footer