Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2017-02-10 05:18:26

GugUser

Re: Could we feasibly see unlimited CFs in 2017? :)

phiw13 wrote #303937:

To be fair, the big issue is with textarea

No problems with textarea, but “to be fair”, is on upgraded installations. Maybe in new installations it’s different.

#14 2017-02-10 09:31:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

It’s not planned for this release. The work I put into the branch to which phiw13 linked needs the latest dev branch merging into it and that’s probably going to be hard work to merge all the conflicts. I’ve just gotta bite the bullet and spend a few hours doing it. But I’m delaying it until after we merge makss’ incredible work on core prefs improvements because that adds some significant improvements that makes defining/updating tables easier.

The work I did in the CF branch solves one aspect of custom fields: how to define and store them efficiently. For articles only. The other parts to solve are:

• Rendering the component widgets on the admin side.
  • Drag n’ drop to reorder panel components.
  • Tag improvements to grab the new custom field data.
  • Roll out to other content types (file, image, link, section, category, user, comment, …)
  • Test callbacks for plugin hooks to extend them (mostly done).
  • Test it all works.

It’s a lot of work, but anyone willing to lend a hand — either at the conceptual level with UI mockup ideas or code — then please get stuck in. The sooner we get more people working on it, the sooner we can get it in core.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2017-02-12 10:26:33

Destry
Website

I can appreciate it’s a lot of work. In your list of objectives, Bloke, I would move the fourth item to last. I think 90% of the value of CFs is with articles.

So maybe it’s an iterative development; first the clan gets articles done to win the award, then repeat the process for the other content panels one at a time.

I’m happy to test anything, but that’s about all that’s in my ability based on your list.

#16 2017-02-12 12:07:24

maverick
Website

Destry wrote #303981:

I think 90% of the value of CFs is with articles.

So maybe it’s an iterative development; first the clan gets articles done to win the award, then repeat the process for the other content panels one at a time.

Unless doing it right means laying the groundwork upfront. It would not make sense to ask for an interim (article) version of CF’s only to rip it back out and re-do it to get it right across the board. Especially since people will jump on anything that’s put out and create a whole set of limitations going forward in the name of backward compatibility.

#17 2017-02-12 12:41:53

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

maverick wrote #303983:

Unless doing it right means laying the groundwork upfront.

This. Many times this.
I much prefer to wait a little longer to have this in core, in order to have a very solid foundation that works across multiple areas & content types.

Destry wrote #303981:

… I think 90% of the value of CFs is with articles…

I certainly would love to have some additional fields to “tag” images. One category is a bit limited at times.
(And I don’t run/manage/… your typical “photo” or ”gallery” types of sites. On two sites, images are important, but the gallery part is only a small subset of the whole thing).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#18 2017-02-12 14:50:42

Destry
Website

maverick wrote #303983:

We could argue some things should go without saying in this community, but neither should we assume, I guess.

#19 2017-02-12 14:50:50

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #303984:

I certainly would love to have some additional fields to “tag” images. One category is a bit limited at times.

In the meantime, you can use my mini-plugin. And if you need more than one custom image, you need to edit the plugin code (it’s fairly straightforward). I have similar ones for files and links…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#20 2017-02-12 16:43:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maverick wrote #303983:

The groundwork has been laid. In terms of storage, the meta store can hold arbitrary meta data about any other table. The hard part is the other stuff: the UI and tags.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#21 2017-02-13 08:04:33

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I can look at UI for this as my next Textpattern core job, since I’m at a bit of a brick wall right now. Not much else I can do to core until theme, languages and image area development is further along.

Although I’m using this time to try and get on with the .com site finally. So no rush or pressure for the above.

I’d need to know what constraints I have to work to with the panels, and how existing panes would change to accommodate new custom form fields being inserted.

#22 2017-02-13 11:32:10

els

jakob wrote #303988:

In the meantime, you can use my mini-plugin.

Oh, that’s a nice one that I can use right now, thanks Jakob!

#23 2017-02-13 12:09:35

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #303988:

In the meantime, you can use my mini-plugin.

Yes, that is a handy little plugin. Been using it for a while, since you tipped me about in another thread.

And if you need more than one custom image, you need to edit the plugin code (it’s fairly straightforward). I have similar ones for files and links…

Can I? I need to investigate that.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#24 2017-02-13 16:29:57

jakob
Admin
Website

phiw13 wrote #303997:

Can I? I need to investigate that.

For tips, take a look at wet’s plugin template for adding fields to the user profile. Mine’s heavily based on that and his shows examples for two fields… You just need to add a second public tag on top of that.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer