Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-11-30 17:48:20

Manaus
Website

Should I upgrade?

Hello,
I have a couple of installations on version 4.5.x. As they are working quite fine, I have no immediate urgency to upgrade to the latest.
Is there any security concerns over the previous versions I should make my clients aware of?

Thanks!

#2 2016-11-30 20:19:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Should I upgrade?

There are no serious security concerns to our knowledge. We’d have issued another 4.5.x release if we’d received any vulnerability reports. So if your clients are happy on 4.5.7 then by all means stay there until your favourite plugins have been tested and updated to work on the later platform. Please review history.txt to find out what is likely to affect you.

That said, 4.6.2 does bring some major improvements, one of which is stronger password security (better hashes, no more passwords sent in plaintext) and a strength meter.

The other thing you might find is that, as your hosting provider upgrades their version of PHP/MySQL, 4.5.7 might stop working. Depending on how the hosting setup is configured, 4.5.7 may not be compatible with later builds of MySQL 5.7, and it’ll fail completely under PHP 7+. So don’t plan on waiting too long to upgrade! Contact plugin authors upon which you rely and ask them to update their plugins, or post on the forum for any that have been orphaned and we’ll see what we can do.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer