Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-10-14 17:22:53

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

neme.org updated

Despite the problems here the front end of the neme.org site has been finally updated to the new txp version.

This marks the end of the neme-imca.org site which is now redirected to our primary domain. The important contents of the two sites have been fused and the remaining legacy content from neme.org has been moved to news.neme.org which has the postmaster plugin installed.

The design is slightly dated in today’s full screen image web but as our content relies heavily on texts, we felt that this was the way to go.

Any comments and criticism are most certainly welcome.

Plugins used:

• glx_if,
  • wet_slimpattern,
  • fha_time_diff,
  • zem_redirect,
  • zem_contact_reborn,
  • mdn_count,
  • rvm_privileged,
  • smd_wrap,
  • smd_if,
  • rss_admin_db_manager,
  • act_if_mobile,
  • rah_external_output,
  • rvm_css,
  • spf_js,
  • kuo_file_stats,
  • adi_matrix,
  • smd_macro,
  • smd_lib, thanks Stef
  • smd_where_used,
  • adi_notes,
  • adi_search_db,
  • rah_sitemap

> Edit: Deleted enabled plugins I was not actually using.

Last edited by colak (2016-10-16 12:53:06)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2016-10-14 20:38:54

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: neme.org updated

Nicely updated and responsive, and it still manages to feel spacious enough despite the immense amount of information available.

One thing that did throw me was the separator between articles in lists like www.neme.org/events/. I thought the downward pointing triangle was a JavaScripty ‘expand’ thing to reveal more information about the article above. But it’s just a fancy graphic.

I think part of my confusion was the spacing. Since the divider is closer to the bottom of each article that has multiple-lines of text (or at tablet-and-below resolutions) I thought it was ‘attached’ to it. The rule of proximity and all that. Perhaps with more even vertical spacing — and maybe a touch wider — regardless of how many lines of content the short description takes up, the visual connection would be broken and the triangle would be unambiguous. Alternatively, is there any other separator you could use in its place, assuming it’s not an integral part of your brand identity?

Anyway, I’m not a designer so it might just be me. Feel free to ignore what I say.

A well-conceived refresh of probably one of the longest-running Textpattern sites on the Internet! Great work.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2016-10-15 04:58:03

colak
Admin

Bloke wrote #302196:

Nicely updated and responsive, and it still manages to feel spacious enough despite the immense amount of information available.

One thing that did throw me was the separator between articles in lists like www.neme.org/events/. I thought the downward pointing triangle was a JavaScripty ‘expand’ thing to reveal more information about the article above. But it’s just a fancy graphic.

I think part of my confusion was the spacing. Since the divider is closer to the bottom of each article that has multiple-lines of text (or at tablet-and-below resolutions) I thought it was ‘attached’ to it. The rule of proximity and all that. Perhaps with more even vertical spacing — and maybe a touch wider — regardless of how many lines of content the short description takes up, the visual connection would be broken and the triangle would be unambiguous. Alternatively, is there any other separator you could use in its place, assuming it’s not an integral part of your brand identity?

Anyway, I’m not a designer so it might just be me. Feel free to ignore what I say.

A well-conceived refresh of probably one of the longest-running Textpattern sites on the Internet! Great work.

Thanks so much for your comments Stef.

I changed the arrow to a circle and the double line to a single one.

Re the spacing… you are absolutely right and I am struggling to get it equal.

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2016-10-15 05:57:29

bici
Website Mastodon

A very rich site. I think the spacing looks alright to me. But you could add space above and below the line with the circle via css if you so desired.

…. texted postive

#5 2016-10-15 13:27:49

uli

Hi Yiannis, I’m getting a 403 (Forbidden You don’t have permission to access / on this server) with a totally new plain vanilla Firefox profile.
Edit: Just tested Chrome, Chromium and Safari: the same.

Last edited by uli (2016-10-15 13:30:37)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#6 2016-10-15 13:40:10

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #302198:

I changed the arrow to a circle and the double line to a single one.

Nice!

P.S. you probably don’t need smd_lib any more. None of my plugins you listed rely on it any more. And I don’t think any other authors use it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2016-10-15 17:41:53

colak
Admin

Thanks so much about all your comments. We had a full on day today on locative media which will continue tomorrow. I came back home for 30’ before I have to leave with our guest again and I touched by your responses.

Uli, it might have been a temporary error webfaction throws those every now and then. I’ll respond to every one of you individually by tomorrow evening.

Yiannis
——————————

#8 2016-10-16 12:50:28

colak
Admin

@Uli I have a lot of IPs blocked as we had storms of hackers and spam referrers to our site. Is your IP dynamic or static?

@bici, I’m just worried that the length of the pages (/events/ and /texts/) will grow too much considering the ‘little’ actual information they offer.

@Bloke. Thanks! I disabled the plugin and all works as expected.

My next step is to create better styles for mobile devices as well as a slightly better looking print style. These however will need to wait!

Yiannis
——————————

#9 2016-10-17 13:36:25

uli

colak wrote #302238:

@Uli I have a lot of IPs blocked as we had storms of hackers and spam referrers to our site. Is your IP dynamic or static?

I’m always using dynamic IPs, like the average user in — at least — Germany. As I’m still blocked today you’ve probably blocked my whole service provider (currently starting with 91.0.)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#10 2016-10-17 14:02:49

colak
Admin

I had 91.0.0.0/10 blocked because of attacks. Could you try it now if indeed your ip falls within that range? Otherwise, I have no idea why you are not able to see it.

Yiannis
——————————

#11 2016-10-18 12:52:37

uli

Thanks, Yiannis, all is well now.
I always envy those guys that can care about a website with cultural contents!

#12 2016-10-18 14:26:19

colak
Admin

uli wrote #302284:

Thanks, Yiannis, all is well now.
I always envy those guys that can care about a website with cultural contents!

The grass is always greener from the other side:) caring for a site like ours takes a lot of work without any income. If you don’t treat it like a hobby, you give it up fast. Having said that, the people we meet are absolutely wonderful.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer