Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2016-10-09 17:04:21

Destry
Website

Re: No articles appearing, no reason why not

Bloke wrote #302025:

Any use? Especially take note of etc’s response in which a mis-closed tag now trips up the parser. Previous parser instances were more lax in their parsing of tags.

Wouldn’t a mis-closed tag show up as a tag error? I don’t see anymore errors.
If not, then that could still be the problem… And hard to find.

#14 2016-10-09 19:09:17

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #302058:

I’m still a little puzzled by the double instance of the sticky article in the conditional, but your structure does make the errors go away. Yeah!

In pseudo-code, it does

• Is this an individual article
    • -> yes
      • Is it article 11 or 14?
        • -> yes: show the current single live article according to the current url
        • -> no: this must be another boutique product article. As we don’t people to be able to call up this article individually, show them the boutique landing page article. (using article_custom with id="4" status="sticky" to override context). This is where I think a redirect would probably be a better idea…
    • -> no (i.e. this is an article list = section landing page)
      • Show boutique landing page article

However, articles still aren’t showing up on the front side in any section.

Hmm. It’s about now that I start checking:

• the page source: is it there but just not showing? (-> css or invalid html)
  • the tag trace in the page source: how far has it got with the page rendering? Is it sidestepping the logic somewhere else?
  • And if there’s no tag trace at all, then check the server logs (php/apache/mysql) for any hints of relevant errors (e.g. htaccess or some deprecated php function).

Then, once you can start narrowing down the problem, I txp:hide out code in the template to simplify things, or I txp:hide out a whole section, and replace it with a simplified version until it works. Once it’s working again, I start reintroducing the complexity.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2016-10-10 00:06:46

Destry
Website

By a stroke of bizarre luck, I seem to have stumbled over a symptom of the problem early (and a tedious fix), but not the cause.

For whatever reason, I have to put a blank line in the first line of the body field, save the article — which then makes the content for that article appear again, then I can remove the blank line and save [articles] again and the article’s content remains in [to] view [them] on front side.

I seem to have to do this individually for each article in the entire site, every section. I’ve never seen that before.

Unfortunately I don’t remember when this problem first appeared, but it must have been during one of the 4.6 beta releases.

The only reason I discovered this odd behavior, and so early, is because the body field for the homepage article (where I started poking around first) begins with a div tag. It was indented, of course, but for no reason at all I decided to throw in a blank line, thinking maybe there was a Textile conflict because of a div on first line or something, and low and behold that revealed the article content after saving content. I then tried another article (no html on the line)… Same thing, which meant it had nothing to do with Textile. I then went back and removed a blank line and saved… Content was still there are front side. Yay! /Relief!/

Fortunately there are not hundreds of articles, so it’s not too bad to fix. I just hope they stay put now.

——

Edit: After some more experimentation, I’ve found it doesn’t rely on a blank line in the body field at all. If I just click the Save button for each article again, that’s enough to make the content reappear again. I needed to do this for each article. Note this was still the case _after I uploaded the production database (which works fine as 4.5.7) to local._

Last edited by Destry (2016-10-10 06:13:50)

#16 2016-10-10 06:37:52

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Same database version of MySQL on both local and production side?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#17 2016-10-10 07:48:44

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #302064:

Same database version of MySQL on both local and production side?

I thought they were the same, but now I’m not sure. Local is 5.7.13. Prod is at Host Gator and I don’t have shell access there. Nothing I can find in Cpanel says what version that server is running. I don’t see it in phpMyAdmin either. Any idea where I might look?

#18 2016-10-10 08:26:59

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #302065:

Any idea where I might look?

Textpattern Admin > Diagnostics ?

Your host might suppress it though, like most hosting services now hide the Apache version.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#19 2016-10-10 08:35:24

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #302066:

Textpattern Admin > Diagnostics ?

Oh, right. LOL I knew that. ;)

version 5.5.51-38.2

That’s probably the culprit. Even before this last update of DB from prod to local, I probably updated that direction earlier and didn’t remember or notice the article behavior. (This project has always been a minimum budget / help-a-local-acquaintance kind of thing… I try to invest as little time/effort as possible, but it ends up the exact opposite.)

So would this mean if I port the DB now the other direction — to prod — I’ll face the same problem? I guess I’ll have to find out.

#20 2016-10-10 09:28:25

Destry
Website

Oh crap. On top of it, HostGator is running PHP 5.4. WTF?!

#21 2016-10-10 13:10:33

Destry
Website

Oh man… just discovered this problem kind of happened on the CSF production site too, but only where there were articles lists inside body fields, as opposed to the entire site, which is why I never noticed it. For example on the event media pages, like this one, there should be a couple dozen articles or so showing up in the “Program resources” tables. On that production site I know the MySQL database is same as local, 5.7.x, so this can’t be a database problem, exactly, unless it’s specifically tied to version 5.7.x.

This seems to have happened somewhere during the updates in the 4.6.0 beta-to-stable series when updating the site locally and dancing through the pesky zeros fixes. But since I never noticed the disappearing articles problem until now, I can’t say which version was the cause. The CSF prod site was deficient like that since mid September when I updated the site to 4.6.0 stable, before that it was fine at 4.5.7.

So now the million dollar question, anyone, is there an easier way to reset saved articles instead of having to go through and manually resave them one at a time?

#22 2016-10-10 16:38:00

bici
Website Mastodon

are you able to roll back to the stable version on the live site?

…. texted postive

#23 2016-10-10 17:31:33

jakob
Admin
Website

Very weird. No idea what the cause could be. Maybe some change in the parsing, but that doesn’t really explain why the pre-textiled output won’t show.

If it’s just the textile reprocessing of the body and excerpt fields (and not some other thing that changes as a result of saving) then there’s this batch textile updater but please make a backup first…

I suppose you could see what’s actually being changed by copying the database entry for a faulty article, then re-save the article, copy then updated database record and compare the two. With sequel pro that’s easy: you can right click a record and copy as an insert statement, then save that to a text file.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#24 2016-10-11 06:29:52

Destry
Website

bici wrote #302076:

are you able to roll back to the stable version on the live site?

The way I see it, 4.5.7 and 4.6.1 are both stable versions. It’s all that crap in between that caused problems. And to get to 4.6.1, in my case, it’s necessary to re-save articles, as evidenced by two sites so far. Anyway, I’m going forward, not backward. The updates and fixes are made at this point, mostly. I just hope there’s no more funny business in 4.6.1 onward.

jakob wrote #302077:

Very weird. No idea what the cause could be. Maybe some change in the parsing, but that doesn’t really explain why the pre-textiled output won’t show.

I don’t think this has to do with Textile, specifically, because in the store site, it was every article in the site that wasn’t appearing until I re-saved each article. But in the CSF site, it was only all the speaker “session” articles that output a few details as table records (their only function). Those tables are created as article lists in the body field like the products are in the shop site. But the table markup (part of the form) itself rendered, you could see the table husks. It was only the article contents filling out the tables that didn’t show up until each article was saved again.

But we also discovered yet another unfortunate situation last night with the CSF site… some of the articles just disappeared for good. For example in the Paris page, there should be a another six speakers there at least, including the two keynote speakers. Yet there are no articles in the admin-side for them anymore. We think the same is true for the Helsinki page, because that event had at least twice as many speakers as appear there now. I have an old DB file from which I can probably verify and recover the records, but it’s an extra pain in the ass on the to-do list.

My guess is this all had something to do with the combo of upgrading Txp on top of upgrading to mysql 5.7.13 and all the zero-date hoops I had to jump through just to make Txp happy there. I don’t know why that would be a problem. I’m not qualified to say. But after 12 years of using Textpattern, that’s a first, and it happened during that small window of necessary upgrades.

Anyway, I think I’ll just re-save articles as the fix, like I’ve been doing, and hope the issue goes away.

Board footer