Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-10-01 10:00:45

StFual

Quotes in pasted blocks of text

I created my first post by pasting in a block of text from windows notepad. It wouldnt display and i’ve worked out that any block of text that includes a ‘single’ or “double” quote wont display. So i took all the quotes out and it displays fine. But if I try to manually add quotes in Textpattern it blanks any paragraph that includes them. I looked at the textile docs and apart from conversion cant see any specific handling required for quotes. I do see that quotes were uses as escape characters in the past. Is there some specific setup ive missed or do i need to handle single and double quotes in a special way. I’m using Textpattern 4.6

#2 2016-10-01 10:14:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Quotes in pasted blocks of text

Hi StFual, It’s bad practice to paste from word or any other text processing software. Textpattern parses the text through textile and converts double quotes "quote here" into smart ones: “quote here”. You should also check out your dashes.

Having said that, the text should display. Do you have a url we could check?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2016-10-01 10:50:17

StFual

Two links. One in plain text with line break one in textile

http://www.stfual.com/articles/5/single-and-double-quotes-convert-line-breaks

http://www.stfual.com/articles/4/single-and-double-quotes

Edit. I should mention that this also happens if i manually type the text in. Putting any quotes in any paragraph kills that paragraph.

Last edited by StFual (2016-10-01 11:08:19)

#4 2016-10-01 11:01:20

StFual

I appreciate the rapid feed back. The paste in works for me because i will dictate some stuff and i’m going to be cutting and pasting from the remnants of my old blog. If theres a better method to import i’ll happily use it but typing everything isnt going to work for me. I also badly need a spell checker and am reluctant at this point to use any plugins or extensions to base software until i get confident with it so will spell check externally.

#5 2016-10-01 11:52:06

GugUser

Strange, your text isn’t separated by paragraphs, but by line breaks. Can you show a screen shoot from the edit panel?

#6 2016-10-01 14:37:20

StFual

http://www.stfual.com/articles/6/images-text-html-preview

is the input for

http://www.stfual.com/articles/4/single-and-double-quotes

3 screen shots showing Text, HTML and Preview screens

I’ve added a couple of lines because i noticed that the single quote character in “I’m” does work. Dont know if this means anything.

#7 2016-10-01 15:28:24

colak
Admin

http://www.stfual.com/articles/4/single-and-double-quotes looks fine to me the single quote is correctly changed to ’

Yiannis
——————————

#8 2016-10-01 15:41:55

uli

Please, StFual, could you post the contents of the body field of your article # 4 here?

Just copy the following and replace “YourText” with your actual article 4 text.

bc.. YourText

Also, what setting do you use in # 4 for “Article Markup”? (Content > Write > Advanced Options > Article Markup)

(edited article #)

Last edited by uli (2016-10-01 15:44:57)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#9 2016-10-01 16:33:51

colak
Admin

StFual wrote #301873:

I also badly need a spell checker…

Tell me about it. :) I normally use the firefox add-on

Yiannis
——————————

#10 2016-10-01 16:41:28

GugUser

It seems to me that you have “Use Textile” disabled (in Preferences, Basic).

#11 2016-10-01 16:50:52

jakob
Admin
Website

uli wrote #301877:

Please, StFual, could you post the contents of the body field of your article # 4 here?

colak wrote #301876:

http://www.stfual.com/articles/4/single-and-double-quotes looks fine to me the single quote is correctly changed to ’

@Uli & Yiannis: the screenshots showing the body field and its conversion via textile are in this post: www.stfual.com/articles/6/images-text-html-preview and would suggest that StFual has entered all text correctly. Yiannis, you’ll see that wherever there are two quotes in a line in the body field, the entire line is missing form the output.

StFual wrote #301869:

any block of text that includes a ‘single’ or “double” quote wont display. … I do see that quotes were uses as escape characters in the past. Is there some specific setup ive missed or do i need to handle single and double quotes in a special way.

There must be something awry with your specific installation because what you posted should definitely work without any of the problems you describe (with article markup set to “Textile” as described by Uli). They don’t act as escape characters in textile. There’s a tiny chance that pasting from Notepad/Textedit brought in some other characters or different line breaks, but for the most part, pasting text from another program works fine because the body field is not a wysiwyg editor.

You mentioned it exhibits the same problem when you type the text manually – if that was in a completely fresh article (i.e. not ‘tainted’ by earlier pasting), then that would rule out pasting being the source of the problem. If it works when typed manually into a completely fresh article, then maybe there is something in the pasted text that is causing the problem.

Perhaps you could post the output of your diagnostics (Admin > Diagnostics). If you type bc..{space key}{pasted text} in the forum, it is presented cleanly. Type p.{space key}Follow-up text… to type normally again after pasting. You can mask out any private details if you wish.

The only other thing that occurs to me is possibly some kind of incorrect database encoding (I usually set utf-8 or utf8-mb4 and utf8_general_ci or utf8mb4_unicode_ci when initiating a database).

GugUser wrote #301880:

It seems to me that you have “Use Textile” disabled (in Preferences, Basic).

Mini-correction: that setting is in “Admin > Preferences > Publish”. If it’s set to “leave untouched” you don’t get the preview panes at all, which doesn’t match StFual’s screenshots, so that can’t be the setting. StFual’s other post with “convert line breaks” also exhibits the same problem. I tried it on a local installation changing the setting both per-article and in the site-wide preferences and whichever way I try, I get correct output with exactly the same typed text as “StFual” has shown. Weird.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#12 2016-10-01 17:22:11

uli

jakob wrote #301881:

There’s a tiny chance that pasting from Notepad/Textedit brought in some other characters or different line breaks

That’s why I didn’t want to rely on screenshots. I’ve even had my window/app switching keyboard shortcut entering invisible characters to the clipboard.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer