Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-10-01 05:58:32

razorboy

Is Textpattern for beginners?

I am a non-technical type looking for a builder to make a site which would suit Textpattern: a page of links (which will expand daily for a month) & a page of blog. I need few or no images. I’ve built a site a few years ago using a WYSIWYG builder, and I’ve forgotten most of what I learned. I watched the youtube video “Textpattern Tutorials – 1” by sparkdesignco, and it seems an uncomplicated system. (1) Is it? Can a non-techie use it? (2) Is it responsive, automatically, or does that get a bit technical for the unwashed?
Thank you.

#2 2016-10-01 06:22:21

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Is Textpattern for beginners?

Hi razorboy,

and welcome to txp

It is a no-brainer to use textpattern out of the box if the default template meets your aesthetic requirements. If you nevertheless want a more personalised website you will need to know some html and css and familiarise yourself with txp tags. Alternatively you may chose one of the themes discussed here.

The txp community is friendly and helpful enough to guide you through any relevant questions you may have.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2016-10-01 18:47:32

razorboy

Thanks very much for that.

Is textpattern more-or-less ‘automatically responsive’ so that it renders correctly on most devices, or is that something one needs to work on?

#4 2016-10-01 18:59:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

razorboy wrote #301887:

Is textpattern more-or-less ‘automatically responsive’ so that it renders correctly on most devices, or is that something one needs to work on?

Admin-side themes such as Hive / Hive Neutral and some third-party admin-themes like Sandspace are responsive across a wide range of devices.

The default front-side theme is also responsive so if you base your own site on that and tweak the content / CSS to style things, it will continue to be responsive. If you change the layout significantly in your Pages/Forms then you’ll need to edit the Stylesheet contents accordingly to make it continue to be responsive. That’s why colak said you need to know some HTML and CSS if you are making your own sites from scratch.

Hope that helps.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2016-11-07 18:52:20

razorboy

To follow on with another question: does the user host textpattern on his/hew own site, or on the textpattern site? Thanks.

#6 2016-11-07 18:56:15

colak
Admin

Hi razorboy,

In your own site. txp does not offer any hosting. It is purely a not for profit effort.

Yiannis
——————————

#7 2016-11-07 19:46:54

razorboy

Thank you.

I actually don’t have anything against “profit,” I was trying to work out the mechanics of it.

#8 2016-11-07 23:49:07

razorboy

OK, this is the last (basic) question: can the blog theme – which seems adequate for me – have its page/background colours customized? Say a blue or brown page rather than white, or would that invoke getting another theme?

#9 2016-11-08 03:12:09

bici
Website Mastodon

razorboy wrote #302748:

To follow on with another question: does the user host textpattern on his/hew own site, or on the textpattern site? Thanks.

You host on your server i.e. Webfaction, Dream Host etc
These are services where you have an account and where you may install textpattern.

…. texted postive

#10 2016-11-08 05:18:37

colak
Admin

razorboy wrote #302752:

OK, this is the last (basic) question: can the blog theme – which seems adequate for me – have its page/background colours customized? Say a blue or brown page rather than white, or would that invoke getting another theme?

It can be customised as you like. The styles for the theme can be found under presentation>styles.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer