Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-08-30 23:26:26

gomedia
Plugin Author

Clean URLs warning

Clean URLs are only supported on Apache, use at your own risk.

I’m setting up a new client on a web server running LiteSpeed – which is Apache on steroids. I see the above warning in the Diagnostics panel & it got me thinking …

What does it actually mean? Are we saying “supported” as in … guaranteed to work, will pull out all the stops to make it work, no expenses spared, all hands to the pump? Or does it just mean “we’re confident that you’ll be OK if you’re running Apache but anything else is outside Textpattern’s comfort zone?

Are we sponsored by Apache? The warning implies that Apache is the only way to go – which is patently not the case. I’ve got Clean URLs working on Litespeed (using .htaccess/mod_rewrite) and, in the past, I’ve got them working on a Zeus web server using rewrite.script.

What’s the point of the warning? Surely the acid test, proof of the pudding, final word on the subject, is whether Clean URLs work or not (as indicated by the Clean URL test in Diagnostics), regardless of what the server is running or how it’s configured.

I propose that the warning be removed.

#2 2016-08-31 10:38:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Clean URLs warning

gomedia wrote #300885:

[cleanurl_only_apache] I propose that the warning be removed.

I have no idea what the point of this warning is either. Perhaps it harks back to the days when the only choices were pretty much Apache or IIS. Now we have a lot more options I concur that the message holds little value. If nobody has any objection, I’ll ditch it.

fwiw, there are other apache-specific things in diagnostics: apache version, its list of modules, whether mod_rewrite is supported, etc. Presumably these all fail gracefully under other architectures.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2016-08-31 10:47:56

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #300893:

fwiw, there are other apache-specific things in diagnostics: apache version, its list of modules, whether mod_rewrite is supported, etc. Presumably these all fail gracefully under other architectures.

Gracefully remove them from the user doc too if you happen to excise any demons. ;)

#4 2016-08-31 11:15:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #300896:

Gracefully remove them from the user doc too if you happen to excise any demons. ;)

Good call, thanks for the reminder.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2016-09-03 13:57:37

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

TXP provides a .htaccess file for Apache. For other HTTP servers you have to do the rewriting yourself. That’s the reason why.

Board footer