Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2016-06-29 01:06:17

JimJoe
Website

Re: rss_unlimited_categories plugin ?

The visitors see a navigation menu at the top of the site. At the bottom of each article, they currently only see 2 categories.

I see on the write page a list of categories, some of which are under others.

For an example;

Gran-Dal Arm ( of a fictional galaxy)
Column under that
Sector under that
And each Sector has 16 sug-sectors.

Other categories like

Star type
and under that are a list of star types as sub-categories.

So its easy since they are laid out in an indented list of categories and child categories, etc.

So currently the categories only help me. I would like them to help visitors so they can find all towns or planets that are in the same area.

I’ll look at your plugin.

#14 2016-06-29 01:52:56

JimJoe
Website

The import from rss_unlimited_categories only got 171 of 681 categories copied over. Doesn’t bother me, but I thought you would want to know.

#15 2016-06-29 06:05:34

makss
Plugin Author
Website

JimJoe wrote #300003:

Since I have such a huge category list for several of my sites, is anyone updating this plug in to work with textpattern after ver 4.5.7 ?

In the nearest time I will try to update rss_unlimited_categories. I hope that the layout in Textpattern 4.6 will no longer be changed.

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#16 2016-06-29 14:02:47

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

JimJoe wrote #300025:

Since only 2 categories show to visitors, there are two things I would like to accomplish.

1) show more than 2, I think a maximum of 5 or 7 categories for each article. Some will have more than that, but too many would be counterproductive.

2) I use the additional categories to help me keep track of what is located where, so I don’t thin I put a town in one area, and its somewhere else.

I actually looked into this recently for a site I am working on. This is the solution I came up with – which probably won’t work well for you because you have so much existing content – but it might help.

I want to turn a domain I own Third Superpower into a Politics and Pop Culture site along the lines of Vox and Heat Street.

In every Vox article they always include a Filed Under: X line that links out to different sections for the Article. The link takes you to a section page with similar articles. I wanted to do the same thing in Textpattern but avoid the two category limit. This is what I came up with.

1) After trying several tag plugins, I settled on cbe_keywords because it did what I needed without a lot of complexity.

2) I created all the Sections where I would be be “theoretically” placing the articles. In actuality, they are all going in the Articles section.

3) In each article, the keywords field has a comma-delimited list of sections. For example: energy, world, features

4) Inside the individual article form, I have the following code:

Filed under: <txp:cbe_all_keywords><txp:section link="1" title="1" name='<txp:cbe_keyword />' />, </txp:cbe_all_keywords>

This cycles through all the keywords and creates a link to each of the sections I want the article to appear.

Side note: The actual code I use is:

Filed under: <txp:rah_function call="rtrim" string='<txp:cbe_all_keywords><txp:section link="1" title="1" name='<txp:cbe_keyword />' />, </txp:cbe_all_keywords>' charlist=", "/>

This has the added benefit of removing the trailing comma.

5) On each of the section pages, I create a list of articles with:

<txp:article_custom limit="99999" form="clean_archive_list" section="articles" keywords='<txp:section />' />

Eventually I plan to do more than a simple list but this works for now.

So as noted above, You can have Tags (or in this case Keywords masquerading as Tags) without a Tag Cloud.

I don’t think adapting this to categories would be an issue but I like the cleaner urls that sections provide.

#17 2016-06-29 15:13:33

JimJoe
Website

Thanks makss and michaelkpate !

I did try smd_tags again. I got 400 of the 681 to copy over. The list it created was alphabetical. But the original is nested and not alphabetical.

#18 2016-06-29 15:39:59

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

JimJoe wrote #300038:

I did try smd_tags again. I got 400 of the 681 to copy over. The list it created was alphabetical. But the original is nested and not alphabetical.

“If you organise your tags in hierarchical trees, you may wish to have parent or child tags automatically considered.” – smd_tags

You are probably going to have to rebuild your hierarchies manually. Annoying, but it only has to be done once.

#19 2016-06-29 18:56:19

JimJoe
Website

Well, still didn’t do all 681 categories. I’ve been updating manually, and I don’t see a big change. I’ll try some of these smd_tags settings on another of my web sites.

#20 2016-06-29 22:36:02

JimJoe
Website

Here are my test results:

Traveller site: 1342 categories, only 12 are in the list of tags when I go to manage tags. It shows 504 processed.

Note that every sector has 16 sub-sectors, all named A through P.

Crestar site: 862 categories, less than a 100 show up in the list of tags. I’m adding them in. Working easily.

Hiking site: 73 of 73 processed. Display Recent Report popup shows on this one only. But only 10 showed up in the last on manage tags page. Fairly easy to add them in. One, Guides, wanted to be in a level by itself instead of under Hiking tag/category.

Sometimes when I click update, the plugin says a particular tag already exists. I thought this just moved them around the list ?

edit:

Now the Guides tag shows up where I was trying to put it after I moved around in my site admin area. Probably just an update thing.

Last edited by JimJoe (2016-06-29 22:57:48)

#21 2016-06-30 12:41:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

JimJoe wrote #300046:

Traveller site: 1342 categories, only 12 are in the list of tags when I go to manage tags. It shows 504 processed… [etc]

Sorry you’re having trouble with the plugin. Maybe some stuff has changed in rss_unlimited_categories recently that I need to make smd_tags aware of. Or maybe your massive category hierarchy is causing it a headache.

If you wish to help me make the plugin better, feel free to send me a dump of your textpattern/unlimited category tables (or a subset thereof, as I appreciate it’ll be a big file!) and I’ll load it up on my test site and see if I can figure out what’s going on. If you do this, please also let me know what settings you used in the plugin/importer so I can run it under the same conditions as you. Thanks.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#22 2016-06-30 17:15:44

JimJoe
Website

I have the list of tags in smd_tags; however, I don’t see unlimited or rss filed in the MySQL part of cpanel for my Traveller site.

The ‘textpattern_category’ line is a list of numbers, no names of categories. I used the cpanel search, and didn’t find any of the rss_unlimited categories. So I’m unable to locate them in the database.

#23 2016-06-30 17:22:08

JimJoe
Website

Found the list. I’ll use your contact page on your site to give you my email address. I’m up late most nights so I can get it to you soon.

Thanks for your help.

#24 2016-07-01 00:38:12

JimJoe
Website

I forgot the settings, I’m sending them now.

Board footer