Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-05-24 17:19:48

uli

[SOLUTION] Problems on saving using "It's All Text"

I recently discovered the reason for communication problems between text editors and Firefox’s text areas controlled by “Its All Text”: It’s the Textpattern URL token that’s removed on first saving and then is lacking as an identifier for “Its All Text” on subsequent savings. You can work around this issue by saving the text area one time (that removes the token) without editing it and then using “Its All Text” to transfer the text to your editor. No changing URL, no problem for “Its All Text”.

Edit: Labeled title.

Last edited by uli (2016-05-25 12:58:40)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#2 2016-05-24 23:25:29

gomedia
Plugin Author

Re: [SOLUTION] Problems on saving using "It's All Text"

I’ve been an IAT user (with Firefox) for years and haven’t had a problem – on Mac anyway. I hope it stays that way, I couldn’t live without now!

#3 2016-05-25 08:42:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote #299253:

the Textpattern URL token that’s removed on first saving and then is lacking as an identifier

That ‘show the token in the URL’ thing is something I’d like to stamp out actually. It’s bad form: tokens should always be POSTed, not GETted imo, as it makes admin-side URLs easier to share and bookmark.

Tokens are only for CSRF protection of sensitive (i.e. database-or-file-changing) operations, so should only be POSTed with the data to the same URL they came from when there’s a change requested. As far as I can tell, there’s no need, for example, to have tokens in the links from the Articles panel to the Write panel. Nothing is changing, only loading.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2016-05-25 12:38:06

uli

It’s the second saving (and subsequent ones), of course, that doesn’t work. So, if you haven’t seen what I described, you’re––no doubt––the better coder :)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2016-05-25 13:25:43

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Are you talking about using it in the Write panel?

Run me through the process, e.g.:

1. Click on Content->Articles
  2. Select an article to edit: click it to load in Write panel (token appears in URL)
  3. Edit Body in external text editor via IAT
  4. Save in external editor
  5. Save in Txp

What happens next…?

P.S. I wrote this reply in IAT: first time user :-) Interesting concept… but after hitting Preview in the forum, I lost the link to the the text editor version so external edits were no longer reflected in the textarea. This is presumably the phenomenon you’re talking about inside Txp.

After I’d hit Preview in the forum, if I made a subsequent click to the little IAT Edit button under the textarea, it loaded the content again in my external editor, and from then on I could hit Preview and retain the link to the text editor for subsequent edits.

Presumably, IAT uses the exact URL as a hook to know which boxes are linked with which editing sessions.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2016-05-25 14:28:10

uli

Bloke wrote #299275:

Are you talking about using it in the Write panel?

I solely use it for coding and CSS. And exactly that is, where it’s so essential for me that I can go back step by step and watch where exactly things went west (see below).

Interesting concept

I prefer it much over flat file editing ala rah_flat or cnk_versioning, simply because it’s much easier established. I was put off by the many different and comprehensive descriptions and heads up to get cnk_versioning working, and never got rah_flat doing anything.

Run me through the process, e.g.:
[…]
What happens next…?

You make one more edit in your editor app and try saving, and the connection breaks, exactly as you described in your PS.

After I’d hit Preview in the forum, if I made a subsequent click to the little IAT Edit button under the textarea, it loaded the content again in my external editor

Yes, but you’ll have noticed that one’s a second window. If prior to that you edited further in the first window and hit the broken connection you’d have to copy your text over from the first window into the second one and now can’t go back step by step if things go awry.

Board footer