Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-04-22 12:24:39

uli

Search function in pophelp windows

Definitely broken.

Search results for “the”
0 results found.

And it’s not caused by SQL’s string length restrictions, “announcement”: nothing found, although it stares at me from the window I’ve before me right now.

If it can be fixed: great! If not the search form should be removed from the help template for the sake of Textpattern’s reputation, users don’t need frustration on top the moment they’re looking for help.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#2 2016-04-25 10:19:40

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Search function in pophelp windows

uli wrote #298771:

Definitely broken.

Not quite: a search for something like “link” or “preference” is successful. Just odd.

#3 2016-04-25 11:05:43

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #298809:

Just odd.

Yes: set returns nothing while setting returns 10 results…

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#4 2016-04-25 11:47:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Search results for “the”: 0 results found.
a search for something like “link” or “preference” is successful
set returns nothing while setting returns 10 results…

My guess is the (FullText?) index feature is only searching for things > 3 chars, or is ignoring common words, or words that return large result sets. Just a guess though.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2016-04-25 11:55:37

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #298812:

My guess is the (FullText?) index feature is only searching for things > 3 chars, or is ignoring common words, or words that return large result sets. Just a guess though.

You’re probably right for the >3 chars as tmp, url or xml returns nothing while html returns 10 results; and one or both of the other reasons should be also right as with or your returns nothing too (I know some results containing these requests do exist).

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2016-04-25 12:02:29)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#6 2016-04-25 12:32:02

uli

Aha! Looks like
  1. all of you have set your language to English. (I usually have that setting, too. Right now, I needed German for translating the online help files.)
  2. when there’s no German/French/(put any language here) translation for the respective help issue, then the English page is default (we all might have seen an English replacement for e.g. “Doctype”)
  3. on top, when you’re now looking for English terms but have an individual language setting, then the search is only performed on that languages’ help entries. And only looks broken.

I understand that might have been introduced in order to speed up DB searches. But is it helpful for users from foreign countries whose help files aren’t fully translated? Is it still necessary, I mean is the search still performed on a DB? (after all I’m translating single GH files, not a DB lump.)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer