Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-03-15 03:19:13

MacBanshee

Events subscription list not working

Forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place. My deceased daughter (known on the web as OpalCat) created my website with Textpattern. I have upgraded the site to Textpattern CMS · 4.5.7. I use this for people to subscribe to an events notification list and have 450 active subscribers. When I save an event under the Articles tab, I get an option to send it to people on the list. This no longer works. The article is saved, but I don’t get the countdown bar, and no message gets sent. Under the Forms tab is a form called Subscribe. The subscribe form shows:

<p><txp:zem_contact to=“THIS HAS AN EMAIL ADDRESS WHICH I HAVE DELETED FOR PURPOSES OF THIS POST” label=”“ >
<txp:zem_contact_text name=“zemSubscriberName” label=“Your Name:” break=”“/><br>
<txp:zem_contact_email name=“zemSubscriberEmail” label=“Your Email:” break=”“/><br>
<txp:zem_contact_select list=” event_updates” selected=” event_updates” name=“zemSubscriberLists” label=“Subscribe to:” />
<txp:zem_contact_submit label=“Subscribe” /> </txp:zem_contact></p>

I am not knowledgeable about web design and don’t know if this is a plug-in or what it is. I had a website consultant try to figure it out (he is not familiar with Textpattern, and he wasn’t able to figure out what the problem was or how to get it to work). The list still exists under a Postmaster tab (the consultant copied and exported it for use in MailChimp, which I don’t want to use). I don’t even know where to start.

Can somebody help me?

Last edited by MacBanshee (2016-03-15 03:28:51)

#2 2016-03-15 06:32:45

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Events subscription list not working

Hi and welcome to txp

The issue lies with the postmaster plugin which is no longer supported.

If textpattern has not been updated, the server might have been making the txp software incompatible.

Could you please go to Amin>diagnostics and paste what appears in the form here?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2016-03-15 12:47:42

MacBanshee

Textpattern version: 4.5.7 (r5900)
Last update: 2015-12-08 20:34:26/2015-12-08 20:32:23
Document root: /home2/juggler1/public_html/tucsonirishcommunity
$path_to_site: /home2/juggler1/public_html/tucsonirishcommunity
Textpattern path: /home2/juggler1/public_html/tucsonirishcommunity/textpattern
URL pattern: section_title
Temporary directory path: /tmp
Site URL: tucsonirishcommunity.com
PHP version: 5.4.43
GD Graphics Library: bundled (2.1.0 compatible); supported formats: GIF, JPG, PNG.
Server TZ: America/Denver
Server local time: 2016-03-15 06:47:29
Daylight Saving Time enabled?: 0
Automatically adjust Daylight Saving Time setting?: 0
Time zone:  (-25200)
MySQL: 5.5.42-37.1-log
Locale: en_US.UTF-8
Server: Apache
PHP server API: cgi-fcgi
RFC 2616 headers: 0
Server OS: Linux 3.12.49-35.ELK6.x86_64
Active plugins: rsx_plugins_list-1.1, asy_wondertag-0.5, etz_crumbs-0.7, rss_auto_excerpt-0.4, zem_paginate-0.1, sdr_guestbook4.0-4.0, zem_contact_lang-4.0.3.5, zem_contact_reborn-4.0.3.18, pap_contact_cleaner-0.1, ign_password_protect-0.5, mem_self_register-0.8.3, TXPhorum-0.2, rss_admin_show_adv_opts-0.3, tru_tags-2.0, wow_menu-1.01, zem_event-0.30m, rss_article_edit-0.1, Postmaster-0.4.4, rss_admin_db_manager-4.3, Postmaster Library-0.2.3, rah_textile_bar-0.7
Admin-side theme: classic 4.5.7

Pre-flight check:
————————————
/home2/juggler1/public_html/tucsonirishcommunity/textpattern/setup/ still exists
————————————

.htaccess file contents:
————————————
#DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

#Options +FollowSymLinks
#Options -Indexes
#ErrorDocument 403 default

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On #RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR] RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d RewriteRule ^(.+) – [PT,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} !^$ RewriteRule .* – [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
</IfModule>

#php_value register_globals 0

1. SVG
    AddType image/svg+xml svg svgz
    AddEncoding gzip svgz

————————————

#4 2016-03-15 13:03:11

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

As I feared… You have the latest txp stable version and postmaster (the plugin which sends emails) is not compatible with it. There is no work-around to my knowledge.

One way suggested here is to migrate the emails database to services like mailchimp. Let us know should you wish to help or guide you through it.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2016-03-15 16:09:14

MacBanshee

So I take it that there is no plugin that can be used within TextPattern to let people subscribe and send out notices? Is it possible to downgrade to a version which does work with postmaster? My web consultant signed me up with Mail Chimp, but it returns an error about my list, and I don’t know how people would be able to subscribe from within my web page.

#6 2016-03-15 16:54:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

MacBanshee wrote #298281:

So I take it that there is no plugin that can be used within TextPattern to let people subscribe and send out notices?

I wouldn’t say there isn’t one, but there’s an option if you don’t mind using MailChimp.

I wrote a tiny module to piggyback off the latest zem_contact_reborn which allows you to construct subscription requests and stash them in MailChimp. You have complete control over how it works so it’s a bit of a “roll your own” solution, but if you can use ZCR, you can use this plugin.

Drop me a line if you’re interested in trying it out.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2016-03-16 02:53:49

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #298284:

I wouldn’t say there isn’t one, but there’s an option if you don’t mind using MailChimp.

… but a TxP solution is best. lets bake it in.

…. texted postive

#8 2016-03-16 09:47:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

bici wrote #298291:

but a TxP solution is best. lets bake it in.

Why? Subscribing and unsubscribing from content is surely plugin territory? What’s your rationale behind making it a core feature?

And how can it be done to satisfy the many different methods and use cases that people might have for such a system? Is it just a system for gathering email addresses so you can decide what to do with the information later? Or list management as well?

Postmaster was a system for allowing articles to be sent to subscribers to various lists. The beating heart of its operation was… zem_contact_reborn. It was just a mod of that plugin.

With ZCR now more modular and having the ability to hook other things in more easily, a postmaster module is now comparatively easy to achieve. I just chose to write one with MailChimp instead of internal to Txp, because the list management side of things is done for you on the third party site.

Anyone who wants to step up and write a ZCR module for doing Postmaster-stype stuff is more than welcome. It’s the same idea as the MailChimp one, just diverting addresses to a local table, an additional admin-side screen or two to manage lists, and a hook into the Write panel to handle sending.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2016-03-16 20:48:02

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #298294:

Why? Subscribing and unsubscribing from content is surely plugin territory? What’s your rationale behind making it a core feature?

the main reason is that there are so many plugins that become orphaned. and that sucks when one upgrades. It may not have to be baked into Core but it should at least be a solid module that is part of the Core. With my last project i restricted myself to only 3 plugins. I have come to dislike them simply because plugin-land is filled with orphans!

…. texted postive

#10 2016-03-16 20:56:31

MacBanshee

I would be interested in anything that will let me send out notices to people. Here’s what my web consultant wrote me:
I’ve spent more time banging my head against the wall on this. Mailchimp seems pretty resolute in not letting us use it to send mail out. What’s essentially happening is they are looking at the list we’re importing and they’re saying they can’t verify if these emails (and therefore they will most likely, in their estimation, be considered spam by the users). Every time I un-import then re-import the same error shows up. I contacted them and they said we need to re-verify everyone on the list, which is ridiculous because you’d basically be asking 400+ people to double opt-in verify.

#11 2016-03-16 21:15:39

bici
Website Mastodon

MacBanshee wrote #298330:

I would be interested in anything that will let me send out notices to people. Here’s what my web consultant wrote me:
I’ve spent more time banging my head against the wall on this. Mailchimp seems pretty resolute in not letting us use it to send mail out. What’s essentially happening is they are looking at the list we’re importing and they’re saying they can’t verify if these emails (and therefore they will most likely, in their estimation, be considered spam by the users). Every time I un-import then re-import the same error shows up. I contacted them and they said we need to re-verify everyone on the list, which is ridiculous because you’d basically be asking 400+ people to double opt-in verify.

I imported 150 emails into a MailChimp campaign without any issues, make sure you check “permission was given”

…. texted postive

Board footer