You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2016-01-07 22:25:07

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: WebFaction users

Destry wrote #297291:

Here’s a big question…

I just realized, after setting the whole works up and seeing a big mass of errors on the test view front-side, that I had created the “webapp” using Static/CGI/PHP-7.0. That likely explains some of the errors due to the fact it’s a Txp 4.5.7 install (not 4.6). Sigh!

As far as I can tell, based on the dashboard functionality, the only way to fix that is to create a new webapp (having a different name, by necessity) and move the entire installation into the new webapp (subdomain) folder, correct the resulting paths in config.php, etc.

That is a shortcoming of the control panel they have but you can override it in the htaccess as described here. So adding this to your .htaccess should solve your immediate problem:

<FilesMatch .php$>
    SetHandler php54-cgi
</FilesMatch>

See also here for a description for deleting and recreating a web app similar to what you outlined but keeping the same directory.

So does that mean when Txp 4.6 comes out, everyone on WebFaction is going to have to do this awkward song and dance to upgrade to php 7?

In future, theoretically, you should be able to update to txp v4.6 while still on your php 5.x app, then adapt your htaccess accordingly to use php 7.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#14 2016-01-07 23:07:17

jstubbs
Website

jakob wrote #297294:

That is a shortcoming of the control panel they have but you can override it in the htaccess as described here. So adding this to your .htaccess should solve your immediate problem:

Yes would be much better if the control panel made this easier and more intuitive. Who remembers what they put in an .htaccess file..

#15 2016-01-07 23:30:27

Destry
Website

Jakob, you are a fountain of wisdom. Thank you. That cleared it up and the beautiful site appeared.

Noting that their next lowest version of PHP available is 5.6, I used this at bottom of the .htaccess

#PHP switching for WebFaction. Remove this when Txp is updated to 4.6 
<FilesMatch .php$>
    SetHandler php56-cgi
</FilesMatch> 

On reflection, I think I went the right way by going high, because now when I do update to 4.6, I can simply remove this from htaccess and still be good… Until php 7.1. :{

#16 2016-01-14 13:03:50

Destry
Website

Do websites have to be in the root of the /webapps directory?

Could you structure that directory like this, for example:

• webapps/
    • group/
      • domain1
      • domain2
      • domain3
    • indie

So that multiple users can be given SFTP access to the /group directory only (and thus all domains in it), and not to the /indie directory at all? That’s what I’m trying to achieve, anyway.

#17 2016-01-14 15:32:25

jakob
Admin
Website

Here’s the instructions for granting access permissions and here’s a further info on granting access to specific users which is less comfortable but I’ve used before to provide access to someone else to a separate directory. When the SFTP into the server, they arrive at the base, so you need to set up a symlink that takes them directly to their respective app.

What I’m not sure about is whether you can do group/domain1, domain2, domain3 all within one web app or whether those each have to be separate webapps.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#18 2016-01-14 15:45:42

Destry
Website

It would work if I could assign multiple access paths for a given user (even if a bit tedious), but the UI doesn’t seem to allow that. Either a user has access to all webapps, or only one specific app. Seems a bit screwy.

#19 2016-01-15 06:38:33

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #297388:

It would work if I could assign multiple access paths for a given user (even if a bit tedious), but the UI doesn’t seem to allow that. Either a user has access to all webapps, or only one specific app. Seems a bit screwy.

i have set up a couple of jailed users. it wasn’t dead simple… but it seems to work. How tio give a user SFTP access to their file space. They can’t create a db or have mysql access:

see

much like the old jailed solution SexyFileManger that we had on Textdrive

Last edited by bici (2016-01-15 06:41:27)

…. texted postive

#20 2016-01-15 10:32:43

Destry
Website

bici wrote #297396:

see

Cool. That looks like it’s going in the right direction. This one, in particular.

One more question… in what directory do you put the permissions.sh file holding the script?

#21 2016-01-15 20:05:45

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #297401:

Cool. That looks like it’s going in the right direction. This one, in particular.

One more question… in what directory do you put the permissions.sh file holding the script?

in your root directory … not in /webapps/

…. texted postive

#22 2016-01-19 08:26:21

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Would this affect txp users?

ie:

• users creation
  • password resetting
  • send comments
  • zcr
  • postmaster

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#23 2016-01-19 08:38:16

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #297482:

Would this affect txp users?

ie:

• users creation
  • password resetting
  • send comments
  • zcr
  • postmaster

“Switch to using our SMTP server – smtp.webfaction.com”

doesn’t this solve all the issues? or am I missing something?

It’s all about sending emails right? i only use smtp.webfaction.com as i tis.

…. texted postive

#24 2016-01-19 09:07:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi bici, how did you do that? Is it just a matter of adding smtp.webfaction.com in the advance preferences? What about the ports they are talking about?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer